First adoration in 9 years

I’m going to adoration for the first time since before I left the Church many years ago.
What are some things I need to remember? I read somewhere that I shouldn’t turn my back on the blessed Sacrament, but I have no memory of that. Do I back out of the church when I’m ready to leave?

Thanks!

1 Like

If Our Lord is exposed on the Altar (out of the Tabernacle) and if you can you should genuflect on BOTH knees.

2 Likes

Never done that and I’ve been to Adoration many times.

1 Like

I have an hour before the Blessed Sacrament every Thursday…we have it 24/7 …if there is a monstrance in your chapel (or church) then of course the host will be exposed so you should genuflect…also most give the sign of the cross…if the host is in the tabernacle then we bow in front of it…I’ve never seen anyone walk backwards…always be quiet and respectful while in his blessed presence…you can kneel the whole time you are in his presence if you want to…or sit…pray…read your bible or prayer book…you’ll enjoy spending time with our savior

2 Likes

He’s been waiting to see you for a long time just visit with Him and “talk” to Him (of course not out loud if others are there). He’s your Father, He loves you. Tell Him about your life, your day, your needs, what you’re thankful for. He already knows all of this but He wants to hear it from YOU.

4 Likes

It is customary to genuflect on both knees with a bow when you enter. No need to back out. Otherwise, just kneel or sit, read a devout book or pray as you want.

1 Like

3 Likes

Of course turn your phone off or at least put it on vibrate. You can say a Rosary, a Divine Mercy Chaplet or just sit and be there with Him.

1 Like

Thank you everyone who has responded so far!

Quick extra thing - Could you be in prayer on my behalf while I am there? Last Sunday was my first time receiving Holy Eucharist in 7.5 years. I had been to confession the day before and literally all that night and the next morning, all I could think about was how excited I was to receive it. When I got to mass, I was excited, but during the consecration, I had this overwhelming, visceral reaction to it where almost everything in me was screaming not to take it. It took me quite by surprise because for weeks I’ve longed for it, but couldn’t take it until I was able to completely assent to the Church’s authority, which finally came (praise God). So I knew that this reaction didn’t make any sense, but it was very overwhelming. I prayed and invoked the prayers of St Michael and all the saints I could remember (which, granted, wasn’t too many), but I still felt horribly guilty going up. I remembered the words of CS Lewis, which were something along the lines of faith being the ability to hold on to what you believe despite your changing moods, and prayed for mercy from God if I was doing something wrong, but took it. Almost immediately after, all I felt was condemnation that my confession wasn’t “good enough” and it’s caused a lot of turmoil for me this week. I’m hoping that spending some time near the blessed Sacrament will help clear some of that up.

4 Likes

Remember, no idle chitchat with anyone. Depending on the adoration, there might be some vocal prayers being said by the faithful, perhaps the Holy Rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy. You can join in or not. It’s your preference.

Also be sure to silence your mobile phone BEFORE you walk into the church or chapel. If you’re not sure how to completely silence your mobile phone, then it’s best to turn it off completely before entering the church or chapel.

2 Likes

You have nothing to feel guilty about…Christ welcomed you to partake of his body and blood…Satan doesn’t want you to do that…that’s why you felt guilty…but now…when you are before our blessed Savior at adoration tell him how much he means to you and how much you love him…I guarantee you’ll walk out of your time of adoration and never feel guilty again.

I just came out of Adoration about an hour ago so I just told Jesus to keep an eye out for you and be extra welcoming.

6 Likes

I’ve heard this too. I’ve never seen anyone back all the way out of the chapel though. Most of the time I see people genuflect on both knees then back up a couple steps before turning to leave (that’s also what I do). I think it probably depends a lot on the area you live in and the particular parish.

1 Like

Thanks all! It was a wonderful experience.

What was the song that was sung at the end?

1 Like

Glad you went, and that it was fruitful for you :slightly_smiling_face:

It could have been a lot of things, as there isn’t a chant or hymn that Adoration must end with. I’ll take a stab and say it was Tantum ergo, but we really don’t have a way of knowing for sure.

Another possibility for the final song (common in my part of the country) is “Holy God, We Praise Thy Name”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rgCH9f8-s

@Unique_name

Maybe you could spend some extra time in quiet reflection & prayers. If you feel that your confession wasn’t “good enough” please talk to your Parish Father or Priest. Did you miss any sins? They will be able to guide you. Welcome back home. Also when you’ve prayed you could light a candle.

All the best,
Rebecca

From the official liturgical book, Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass:

“84. A single genuflection is made in the presence of the blessed sacrament, whether reserved in the tabernacle or exposed for public adoration.”

The same is in Ceremonial of Bishops:

“1103 Genuflection in the presence of the blessed sacrament exposed for public adoration is on one knee.”

[Excerpt from the English translation of Holy Communion and the Worship of the Eucharist Outside of Mass © 1974, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. Excerpt from the English translation of Ceremonial of Bishops © 1989, International Commission on English in the Liturgy Corporation. All rights reserved.]

1 Like

Thank you for that but I was taught when Our Lord is exposed , if at all possible , to go down on both knees and I will continue to do that as long as I can.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s very nice and understandable.

But we must not say people SHOULD do something, if in fact, they don’t have to.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.