First case of Ebola in the US

I am really surprised that Rob is being attacked over and over here by a number of users.

I believe what Rob means is that collectively, our country is way to loose at the borders.

Border controls are necessary to protect not just interests within but also out.

This incidence of a person coming from Western Africa without necessary controls in place to protect the safety of those within is the most recent pinnacle of a long series of neglect.

Tomorrow, the trouble related to loose border control might be something altogether different.

The front door to the White House was left unlocked.:shrug:

0 Likes

Somebody close this thread. Or prune it.

0 Likes

In what manner were necessary controls not in place? The man was not symptomatic for several days after his arrival in the US. There was no reason to think he was infected. What oversight was lacking?

0 Likes

Several days is not enough.

Anyone that has read the nature of this illness knows this. Also, we know too that this victim did seek medical help. Red flags should have been raised! Instead he was sent home for a few days before the virus was pinpointed.

A ‘several day’ watch is not enough. Who can tell which traveler has recovered from the disease and remains contagious? The time of contagion is several WEEKS after recovery.

0 Likes

Yes, border controls are necessary. Mind linking the article which states poor border controls enabled this man to enter the country?

0 Likes

Fact linking

0 Likes

When he developed symptoms, he sought medical help. Is that surprising? He was not “sent home” but was treated here in the US.
abcnews.go.com/Health/ebola-case-us-cdc-vows-stop/story?id=25873850

So what exactly are you asking for? Should the US shut down its borders and force anyone entering to endure several months long quarantine?

0 Likes

That is the bigger border problem…a traveler ‘recovered’ within the few weeks directly following the turning point of the virus. Not so much, the feverish, vomiting, toilet hugger.

:twocents:

0 Likes

Who said several months? Not me.

0 Likes

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/image/ebola_social62.jpg

Questions and Answers on Ebola

Q: What is Ebola?

A: Ebola virus is the cause of a viral hemorrhagic fever disease. Symptoms include: fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, lack of appetite, and abnormal bleeding. Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to Ebola virus though 8-10 days is most common.

Q: How is Ebola transmitted?

A: Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected symptomatic person or though exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions.

Q: Can Ebola be transmitted through the air?

A: No. Ebola is not a respiratory disease like the flu, so it is not transmitted through the air.

Q: Can I get Ebola from contaminated food or water?

A: No. Ebola is not transmitted through food in the United States. It is not transmitted through water.

Q: Can I get Ebola from a person who is infected but doesn’t have any symptoms?

A: No. Individuals who are not symptomatic are not contagious. In order for the virus to be transmitted, an individual would have to have direct contact with an individual who is experiencing symptoms or has died of the disease.

whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/09/30/cdc-confirms-first-case-ebola-diagnosed-us

0 Likes

I’m confused. Did you forget to include the link, or are you objecting to me wanting you to provide actual evidence in support of your argument?

0 Likes

The initial link for this thread was already provided. Within that link are enough facts to support my comments.

I don’t have to provide you with anything more.

0 Likes

I’m sorry, but your above linked information doesn’t count because a)it’s actually factual and b)doesn’t blame Obama. Please restate your comment so that it results in this being the fault of Obama because he lets illegals into the country. No need to provide actual evidence, just the occasional “well we all know” and “its common knowledge” type statements. Thank you and remember it’s really all Obama’s fault.:thumbsup:

0 Likes

Then what exact safeguard are you recommending, which would have prevented the entry of the individual we are discussing?

0 Likes

Sooo…ebola?

0 Likes

Um, the initial link to this thread is to an article that doesn’t discuss border control at all. In fact, it only makes a brief reference to the screening process at all and this is at the tail end of the article. Mind telling me how I’m supposed to conclude that Obama’s administration’s handling of border control is somehow the cause of this still unidentified individual getting into the country? Are we supposed to assume that American citizens are somehow immune to Ebola? Or that the Obama administration drastically changed to laws and regulations of entry into this country in regards to health?

0 Likes

I figured ebola would reach the u.s. eventually, I just didn’t think it would be this soon. I hope they will track where he was for the 2 days after he left the doctor before he went to the hospital.

0 Likes

Unless there is a vaccine or reliable medical test with immediate results.

1. Incoming travel bans from certain places (not likely)

2. Temporary restraint centers for travelers with a high likelihood of having the virus.

Without this measure, there will most definitely be innocent victims and costly medical care that someone must pay for.

Will there be a widespread epidemic within US borders soon or ever? No

Will what happen in Texas, USA happen in other countries? Yes

0 Likes

:thumbsup: Good one!

0 Likes

I’m not sure what you keep digging at. Please stop.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.