First Cause is sentient

There are many individuals who claim that they know the truth either directly or by God. I don’t have any criteria which tells me which one is correct.

I am asking whether you have proof that God is conscious or not. There is no another scenario.

Certainly on the Catholic Answers Forum you accept the Holy Scripture of the Catholic Church as authoritative, thus you must admit that God is conscious, knows, etc. That is full proof - a direct assertion by an authority. An authority does not need to prove anything to anyone, but simply declare.
Any claimant to knowing the truth must show his authorization directly comes from the Catholic Magisterium, else he is no authority and is only opining.

Sure, there’s another scenario. God has a mysterious uncaused mind. But, we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

what’s your proof that “there is no other scenario”?

What Catholic dogma says God the Father is conscious? I don’t believe there is one. Now, God surely has an uncaused mind, but I wouldn’t call God’s uncaused mind conscious. Consciousness is a created mind or soul. But, God’s mind is infinitely greater than any caused consciousness or soul. Consciousness is too primative for God the Father.

I have respect for your belief. I am not questioning that in this thread. I am interested in a proof which states that God is conscious. It would be nice of you if you allow to focus on OP. You are free to open another thread on the subject of your belief and why you choose it among many other religions. I would be happy to join there.

I don’t believe John Martin is correct. I don’t believe there is any Catholic dogma which says God is conscious. I think John Martin is wrongly assuming that one must be conscious in order to have knowledge. Sure, God has knowledge, but that doesn’t necessarily imply that God is conscious. God’s uncaused mind is mysterious - but not conscious. Consciousness is too primative for God. God’s uncaused mind is infinitely greater than any caused consciousness.

It is a complement to laws of contradiction. Something is either at this or that state. In another world, something cannot be at both states in the same instance. Alive and dead for example.

Here, we are discussing that there is no other scenario because there are only two states of affair in a situation when each state of affair negates another state of affair. Alive or dead for example. To say that there is another state is equal to saying that the law of noncontradiction is not correct.

what’s your proof that God is subject to law of contradiction?

This is one of those statements that seems like it’s undoubtedly true, but you have to be very, very careful in defining your parameters, otherwise you’ll find that the premise doesn’t necessarily hold up.

Here we are discussing that there are only two statements involved in a situation where one of statement negate another one. God is either dead or alive. There is no other state of affair.

If that was true, he wouldn’t be God since he’d be necessarily mortal.

You haven’t provided sufficient proof.

Your two states of affairs concerning whether something is conscious or unconscious applies only to created things. God is uncaused and not created. You can’t demand an answer of an uncaused being concerning attributes of caused things and claim violation of the law of contradiction if someone answers back that your question is a non sequitur when asked about God the Father.

Mortality is not related to other two states of affair which negate each other. God is alive and mortal. Mortal simply explains that the state of affair, living God, is permanent. Living is not negate of mortality.

A statement is either false or true. What would be another option?

True. False. and N/A (3 options).

1 Like

And what is N/A? Could you please define it? Or give an example.

What’s the evidence for that? You’ve made several assertions now not supported by evidence or proof

Why can’t the question be ‘WAS the first cause sentient?’

If you believe there was a first cause then why assume that it still exists? Without begging tbe question.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.