First Christmas Mass

Hey guys, I going to be going to my First Christmas…Mass (?) come this christmas and I was wondering if anyone would care to tell me how it goes and what to expect so I don’t make a complete fool out of myself? Thanks and God bless.

Pretty standard pattern, but if you dislike incense, sit in the back.

Easter Vigil Mass is the really neat, different one.:smiley:

[quote=Montie Claunch]Hey guys, I going to be going to my First Christmas…Mass (?) come this christmas and I was wondering if anyone would care to tell me how it goes and what to expect so I don’t make a complete fool out of myself? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

Now that is something new! You need to tell us beforehand about these things. I certainly hope that you are heading for Midnight Mass. You won’t make a fool out of youself no matter what Mass you attend. Give us more info so we can direct you properly.

The Mass is the same as any other one. If you go to midnight Mass or the Mass durring the day, the priest might use incense, he does at my church. Also the Church’s Nativity scene will be blessed at either the Vigil Mass or the Mass at midnight.

get their early, at least a half hour, if it is a big church and they only have one Christmas eve Mass, 45 minutes. with luck their will be carols before Mass while u wait, but bring a prayerbook or bible so you can spend the time profitably. Nobody will be watching you, the church will be full of people who don’t show up the rest of the year, and don’t know or remember how to act.

One difference during the Christmas Mass is during the reciting of the creed. At the point where you should bow (by the power of the Holy Spirit He was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.), you genuflect instead.

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]One difference during the Christmas Mass is during the reciting of the creed. At the point where you should bow (by the power of the Holy Spirit He was born of the Virgin Mary, and became man.), you genuflect instead.

PF
[/quote]

Interesting. I’ve never heard of bowing at “by the power of the Holy Spirit…” and I’ve never seen that done at any Mass I’ve attended. Can you tell me where this is documented?

[quote=thistle]Interesting. I’ve never heard of bowing at “by the power of the Holy Spirit…” and I’ve never seen that done at any Mass I’ve attended. Can you tell me where this is documented?
[/quote]

It is usally in the Missalette (at least the ones I have seen) and it is in the Missals I have. Very few do bow (including the priests).

PF

[quote=WanderAimlessly]It is usally in the Missalette (at least the ones I have seen) and it is in the Missals I have. Very few do bow (including the priests).

PF
[/quote]

I live in the Philippines. There are no missals in the churches here.

[quote=thistle]Interesting. I’ve never heard of bowing at “by the power of the Holy Spirit…” and I’ve never seen that done at any Mass I’ve attended. Can you tell me where this is documented?
[/quote]

It used to be that you knelt at those words, then, I believe in the 1962 missal it was modified to a genuflection and in the 80’s or 90’s again modified to a profound bow. Sadly, I see very few people do it these days, although the Priests at my parish have started it again. Maybe the Bishop is starting to crack down a little on these kinds of things. I sure hope so. As to whether or not you genuflect at the Christmas Masses these days, I don’t know.

I believe that the instructions for this are in the GIRM.

[quote=puzzleannie]get their early, at least a half hour, if it is a big church and they only have one Christmas eve Mass, 45 minutes. with luck their will be carols before Mass while u wait, but bring a prayerbook or bible so you can spend the time profitably. Nobody will be watching you, the church will be full of people who don’t show up the rest of the year, and don’t know or remember how to act.
[/quote]

PA is right, Montie. But also be prepared to witness a lot of “bad” behavior: talking out loud, restlessness, coming and going late and early, neglecting to reverence the Blessed Sacrament . . . A lot of strangers show up at Christmas (reiterating: go to whatever passes for “midnight” Mass if you can), including non-Catholics who haven’t any idea of the little “etiquettes,” such as holy water are for. Others come only because their Mom makes them come, and they haven’t set foot in a church since Easter, or maybe last Christmas, or maybe 10 years ago.

So unless you are in a “boutique” parish with strong traditionalist leanings, be prepared for something short of a circus (at least outside the liturgy).

[quote=palmas85]It used to be that you knelt at those words, then, I believe in the 1962 missal it was modified to a genuflection and in the 80’s or 90’s again modified to a profound bow. Sadly, I see very few people do it these days, although the Priests at my parish have started it again. Maybe the Bishop is starting to crack down a little on these kinds of things. I sure hope so. As to whether or not you genuflect at the Christmas Masses these days, I don’t know.

I believe that the instructions for this are in the GIRM.
[/quote]

I’ve checked the GIRM section 67 and 68 on Profession of Faith and also checked the section on Movements and Postures but I can’t see anything about bowing at “by the power of the Holy Spirit…”.
Maybe there are some other sections in the GIRM I should be looking at?

[quote=thistle]I’ve checked the GIRM section 67 and 68 on Profession of Faith and also checked the section on Movements and Postures but I can’t see anything about bowing at “by the power of the Holy Spirit…”.
Maybe there are some other sections in the GIRM I should be looking at?
[/quote]

Try here…
In the case of the words in the “Credo” the rubric of the Order of Mass also reads: “All bow.” It is well to remember that at the Mass of the Christmas Vigil, the Mass at Midnight, the Mass at Dawn, and the Mass during the Day, there is genuflection at the words “And he became man” (see MR pp. 153, 155, 156, 157); the same holds for Mass on the solemnity of the Annunciation of Our Lord (see MR p. 538)

From…
ourladyswarriors.org/liturgy/girmnote1975.htm

You may want to check with your Diocese to see if this holds for you. This is an American website.

[quote=netmilsmom]Try here…
In the case of the words in the “Credo” the rubric of the Order of Mass also reads: “All bow.” It is well to remember that at the Mass of the Christmas Vigil, the Mass at Midnight, the Mass at Dawn, and the Mass during the Day, there is genuflection at the words “And he became man” (see MR pp. 153, 155, 156, 157); the same holds for Mass on the solemnity of the Annunciation of Our Lord (see MR p. 538)

From…
ourladyswarriors.org/liturgy/girmnote1975.htm

You may want to check with your Diocese to see if this holds for you. This is an American website.
[/quote]

Thanks but I can’t see anything about bowing at the link you gave me to look at. Which question and answer number should I be looking at?
Also you mention MR pages. What does MR stand for?
By the way I live in the Philippines.

[quote=thistle]Thanks but I can’t see anything about bowing at the link you gave me to look at. Which question and answer number should I be looking at?
Also you mention MR pages. What does MR stand for?
By the way I live in the Philippines.
[/quote]

"Missale Romanum"
I know and that’s the reason why I said to check with your own Diocese. This is an American website and may not apply to you. It’s 234b, Query.

I’d show up 30-45min early. :slight_smile:

[quote=sententia]I’d show up 30-45min early. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Call the parish. At my parish, if you showed up only 45 minutes early, you’re probably going to be standing.

[quote=Montie Claunch]Hey guys, I going to be going to my First Christmas…Mass (?) come this christmas and I was wondering if anyone would care to tell me how it goes and what to expect so I don’t make a complete fool out of myself? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

As is any Mass, a wonderful blessing! There is always the lovely Nativity Scenes, and the Trees. Also what is nice about Christmas Mass is that the Church is packed with people and the singing is always amplified, and it’s just an excellent feeling of the Holy Spirit being poured out on all of the faithful. It always brings people back home to Church is my favorite part of the Christmas Masses.

[/quote]

If I lived near Houston, I’d really try to make a Christmas Eve of it, and go to
Annuncation Catholic Church and the Traditional Solemn High Midnight Mass. I tis “knock your holy socks off” and no gabbin etc.
http://www.photohome.com/pictures/texas-pictures/houston/annunciation-church-1a.jpg

[/quote]

Huge crowd at Christmas, maybe the highest attendance of the year.

Many Catholics miss mass, except for Christmas and Easter. Many non-catholics may also be in attendance, I know protestants who always attend at midnight on Christmas.

Get there early, in most places.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.