First Communion and becoming Catholic

My granddaughter attends Catholic school. She was baptized Methodist. She is in 2nd grade this year and her class will be preparing for their First Communion. Can she prepare for her first Communion even though she was baptized Methodist? I believe that if she takes her First Communion then she will become Catholic. Is that correct? By the way, I am thinking of starting RCIA this fall, so I am not against her becoming Catholic. Just what are the "requirements" for a child(7 yrs. old) to become Catholic?
Thank you!

First of all, your granddaughter would be considered validly baptized even if it was in the Methodist tradition if at least two conditions are met: 1) water is used and 2) the Trinitarian formula is used (I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit).

Second, there is a program (based on what I've heard) that is the Rite of Christian Initiation for Children (RCIC) in the Catholic church. I'm not sure if your granddaughter would need to take this or if because she is in a Catholic school, she could ultimately make her first communion this way. To determine this, I would speak with a priest.

I'm praying for you and your family. If you decide to start RCIA you will be beginning a wonderful journey.

I believe, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that unless you have custody of your granddaughter her parents need to speak to the priest about her making her first communion.

[quote="belange, post:1, topic:296297"]
My granddaughter attends Catholic school. She was baptized Methodist. She is in 2nd grade this year and her class will be preparing for their First Communion. Can she prepare for her first Communion even though she was baptized Methodist? I believe that if she takes her First Communion then she will become Catholic. Is that correct? By the way, I am thinking of starting RCIA this fall, so I am not against her becoming Catholic. Just what are the "requirements" for a child(7 yrs. old) to become Catholic?
Thank you!

[/quote]

Conversion requires a profession of faith. For that reason, proper preparation is needed to understand the Catholic faith. Also a Catholic sponsor is needed, other than one of the parents. I expect you can get better answers by asking a priest or deacon at the parish.

[quote="Vico, post:4, topic:296297"]
Conversion requires a profession of faith. For that reason, proper preparation is needed to understand the Catholic faith. Also a Catholic sponsor is needed, other than one of the parents. I expect you can get better answers by asking a priest or deacon at the parish.

[/quote]

If I remember correctly, I don't think sponsors can be parents. But yes, you would still need the parents' permission before placing your granddaughter in a religious education program.

[quote="findingmyself08, post:5, topic:296297"]
If I remember correctly, I don't think sponsors can be parents. But yes, you would still need the parents' permission before placing your granddaughter in a religious education program.

[/quote]

That is what I meant by other than one of the parents, but a convert would not already have a Catholic baptismal sponsor, and not is required for first communion.

Where are the parents in all of this? Do they support the idea of their daughter becoming Catholic? Will they take her to Mass and help her practice her faith?

Thank you all for your responses. I wanted to be as informed as possible before taking this any farther with her mother, who does have custody. My granddaughter's father is not in the picture. She and her mother live with me and I have a lot of responsibility for my granddaughter on a day to day basis. Converting to Catholicism is not something I take lightly. I just wanted more information before talking to her mother about this.
Thank you again!

The Rite of Christian Initiation includes three Sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation, and reception of the First Communion.

If the Church recognizes her Baptism as valid (unsure of the procedure here) then she would attend Catechism classes and they will provide clear guidance on the steps to be taken. If she was an adult, she would attend R.C.I.A. (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults classes).

Christian Initiation is a majestic and powerful experience, I am very happy for you both.

You can find out more about the Catholic faith by reading the Compendium of the Catechism meant to be a companion of the much more extensive Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Pax Christi vobis

Greetings friend,

As I understand it, if the child's mother approves of her becoming Catholic and she remains in Catholic school as well as her having a reasonable expectation of having a Catholic upbringing by you and your daughter at home, then I think a Priest would be fine with it.

Of course the Priest will want to counsel with both you, your daughter, and of course your granddaughter. She may require some type of additional education, making a profession of faith, ect. First and foremost be sure that the child's mother approves though, and then go from there. Welcome Home to you both! :):thumbsup:

Can she prepare for her first Communion even though she was baptized Methodist?

[/quote]

Only if she converts to the Catholic Church.

I believe that if she takes her First Communion then she will become Catholic. Is that correct?

[/quote]

Not exactly.

A person is received into the Catholic Church below the age of reason (7/8) by an act on the part of their parents-- they determine they want the child to be Catholic and the priest receives the child into the Church and documents it in the sacramental records.

If the child is above the age of reason (7/8) then the child themselves must make a profession of faith and that is when they become a Catholic. A child converting to the Catholic Church should then receive the remaining sacraments of intiation-- Confirmation and Eucharist.

So, if she is not formally brought into the Catholic Church, she cannot receive the sacraments in the Church such as Eucharist.

Just what are the "requirements" for a child(7 yrs. old) to become Catholic?

[/quote]

Instruction in the faith, profession of faith, and reception of the remaining sacraments of initiation. Same as you, actually.

[quote="Vico, post:6, topic:296297"]
That is what I meant by other than one of the parents, but a convert would not already have a Catholic baptismal sponsor, and not is required for first communion.

[/quote]

I see. Sorry I misunderstood you. My bad. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.