First confession today as an adult

I was baptized in the Southern Baptist tradition when I was 5 years old. After leaving the faith for several years as a teen, I’ve converted to Catholicism. My first confession is this afternoon in preparation for confirmation this weekend and I’m getting mixed answers on what I should be preparing to confess.

Should I confess all of the big sins from my life that I can call to mind? Should I just confess the stuff I’ve done since converting back into Christianity? Is there like a time period I should be focusing on confessing for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Just do your best. It’s all about having a relationship of trust with God. You know better than me or anybody here what burdens you. Open your heart to the Priest, that all.

You should confess all the major and minor sins you can remember back to your baptism. That’s what I did and I was baptized at 14 and didn’t enter the Catholic Church until I was 24. Don’t worry about being embarrassed, I’m sure the priest has heard much worse, and you’ll feel better knowing you’ve given all your sins to the Lord. Remember, just be brief, be bold and be gone.

The big points are the sacrament of penance is required atleast once a year (probably go more often than that) and to make a valid confession you need 3 parts for the penitent: confession, contrition, and satisfaction. And one part on the priest: absolution.

If you’re really interested, and want good, solid, magisterial clarity on the sacrament, go read the 14th session of the Council of Trent which goes through catholic teaching on the sacrament of penance.

As I was baptised as an adult in September and my first confession was in October I confessed to all the major things that happend from the age of 13 up ( only beacuse they were major sins I had commited) I was in tears during my first confession but afterwards it felt like a huge weight had been lifted of my shoulders and I felt great I knew I had made the right decision beacuse although my baptism wiped away my original sin or my sin prior to baptism I knew unless I actually said those words I never would’ve felt truly remorseful for my actions

Thanks, I’ve downloaded it to read when I get off work. Just based on the quick scan I was able to do I think it’ll probably help a lot

It’s kinda dense but very helpful. I think you get extra credit if you read it in 15-century ecclesial Latin! :joy: Hope it goes well today and welcome to a worldwide family of papal fangirls! We’re kinda nerds about our Holy Mother Church!

Laudetur Iesus Christus

Works for me because I’m a huge nerd lol

In aeternum. Amen

Pray to the Holy Ghost to help you examine your conscience.

@hmikell7

Prayer to the holy Spirit to reveal your hidden faults and sins ,say the mortal or grievous sins you have committed in your whole life first ,or a (general confession whole life sins briefly or you may sit before the blessed sacrament and write it down on a paper ) be honest and do not hide anything from Jesus,repent and humble yourself make a through examination of conscience.

http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacraments-and-sacramentals/penance/examinations-of-conscience.cfm

Before celebrating the Sacrament of Penance, one should prepare oneself with an examination of conscience, which involves reflecting prayerfully on one’s thoughts, words, and deeds in order to identify any sins.

There are various types of examinations of conscience but regardless of which one you use to prepare yourself for the Sacrament it should be rooted in Scripture; particularly, the Ten Commandments and Beatitudes. Below are a few examples of Examinations of Conscience that can help you prepare for the Sacrament.

Examination of Conscience based on the Ten Commandments

Examination of Conscience in Light of Catholic Social Teaching I En Español

Examination of Conscience for Children

Examination of Conscience for Young Adults

Examination of Conscience for Single People

Examination of Conscience for Married Persons

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.