First confession

Well I’ve booked my first confession and I have to say I’m more than a bit nervous about it! :confused:

Some folk told me just to ‘say the usual, ie; impure thoughts, selfishness etc.’ but I do feel that this is important to me and I really want to make the most of this opportunity. We were also told we could attend the reconcilliation service instead if we wished, but that seems like a cop-out to me!

I don’t intend on spending the next month in the company of my priest going over my sins with a fine tooth comb, but on the other hand there are a small number of incidents that play on my mind from time to time that I would like to go over.

I’m not concerned about the priest being judgemental (I know he won’t) or any similar fears, more just the actual mechanics of the process. We’ve been given a crib sheet and I thought I’d make some notes to take with me, lol. And possibly some tissues…:eek:

I’m really just asking for your tips and support to help me make the most of this.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Say what ya gotta say…

If you’ve got an appointment, then you won’t have to worry about the line behind you and the priest would have a little more time to “walk you through”.

I always go with a list - sometimes I use it; sometimes not.

Some things can be generalized - I had sex outside of marriage before I was married. Pretty much says it all. Impure thoughts. I leave it at that.

Sometimes if it’s a one-time thing that happened recently I might give a few more sentences. I lost it with a kid in my class. I knew I should have stopped, but I was angry and said things that were hurtful.

I don’t think there’s any “right” way to do it. Go with what’s on your heart. Go ahead and go over those incidents that play on your mind and put them to rest.

God bless. I am keeping all of those who will be making first confessions and first-in-a-long time confessions in my prayers during Lent.

Good advice in the previous post. I was nervous as well, but our priest approaches first confessions as a telling of your life story. Things will come out naturally. But having said that, just get what you need to get off your chest up front at the beginning. Sometimes as you confess, other past sins will enter your mind, and you can get those out as well. I did mine last year when I was confirmed, and 34 years of sins to recall was tough, but what a wonderful feeling afterwards. Don’t be nervous, your priest is there to guide you if you struggle. Keep them to the point, and if he needs any clarification, he will ask.

Last but not least, spend some time afterwards in deep thought about what just occurred. Be mindful of the state of grace you will be in, and offer thanks for such a wonderful sacrament!

Thank you both, thats great advice. Yes I too have 34 years and a bit to account for! :slight_smile:

Feeling a little jealous of the catechumens who have all their sins washed away! :stuck_out_tongue:

Good advice from the other posters.The only thing I would add is to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to "shine a light"on the areas He knows you need help in.The Sacrament is not only to obsolve us of sin,but also to Heal us.Don’t sweat it.May our Lord Bless you,Rocky.

It went well, it was tough but worthwhile.

Thank you for all your help and prayers. :slight_smile:

I’m glad all went well.

I’m a little curious. You said you were told you could attend the reconciliation service instead. Exactly what did they mean by that? Not general absolution, surely??

A Reconciliation Service, Form II of the Sacrament of Penance, can be quite helpful in helping you to do a good examination of conscience. I always attend, though I might not go to confession that same night. It helps me to focus on the sacrament I’ll be receiving.

I haven’t been, but from what others have said its individual confession, one to one. But its done within the service. All the local priests come together and do one parish at a time!

It seemed a little impersonal to me!

I just want to add that I have thought of a few things that I forgot to mention in my confession. From what I can gather I am absolved from those anyway now? But should I still mention them next time I go or just forget it? :confused:

You have been absolved, but to show your contrition for those sins you should mention them next time - ‘Father, at my last confession I forgot to mention the sins of x y and z …’

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.