First confession

Hi everyone!
I went to confess for the first time yesterday (I returned to the Church as an adult only few weeks ago). I chose to speak to the priest face to face and it was a wonderful experience. The priest was serious but full with love and I just could see on his face that he did not judge me. After the confession I felt so happy it even surprised me :slight_smile: My first penance is spending an hour in front of the Holy Sacrament and meditating :slight_smile:

Did you confess for the first time as an adult? What did you feel or experience?
I am really curious about others’ thoughts

God bless you all!
:gopray:

I returned after a period of several years as an adult. It, too, was a wonderful experience. Life-changing. The priest never batted an eye. I know that I floated out of that confessional, and floated for several days.

We are so lucky that the Father is always waiting for the return of his Prodigal Children.

I haven’t been to church or confession since I was a child and now that I’m returning to the Catholic Church, I plan to go to confession. Actually, I only went once to confession as a child. Now that I’m thinking about it, it seems intimidating. So thanks for sharing your experience. It makes me feel less nervous about it.

I can only imagine what the priest will think when I enter for my first confession. As a former addict who co-runs a Christ centered 12 step recovery program (Celebrate Recovery), we constantly examine our conscience for any sins or wrongs we’ve committed that have pulled us away from God. I have a list of several hundred so far (have to continue working the steps) that will need to be confessed.

I do know that when I sit there with that list, pen in hand, and put a line through each one, the world will be seen through new eyes.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Perla and dsmantz I am sure your confession will be liberating and beautiful…I was very nervous too but I should not have been :slight_smile:
God bless you!

I can tell right now that it is worth going. It always seems intimidating at first, but you won’t regret walking into the confessional.

In my church, I am lucky enough to have the stain glass window of St. Thomas Aquinas, one of my favorite saints, just above the door to the confessional. When I get nervous or feel like I need more strength, I ask for his intercession on my way in. It helps a lot. I would recommend a prayer similar to this if you get nervous when you get up there too. :wink:

Blessings on your confession!

This is a good idea gtwolcott!

I was also nervous because english is not my mother tongue and I had no idea what to do or say…but it all worked out :smiley:

I went back to confession after a thirty year absence. It was a wonderful experience and I walked around with a big grin on my face for three days because I felt so free!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.