First Day Back and Already It's Too Much!

I go to an extremely liberal and anti-christian university due to…well, geographic necessity. It’s my first day back on campus and already I’m going crazy. I need a heap of prayer to get through the school year. :(:mad:

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen.

May our Lord give you strength and all the graces you need to keep perfectly sane at your university. May you persevere in faith and trust completely in the Lord to help you. Amen.

Isn’t there a Newman House or Center on your campus? If there is, you would do well to avail yourself of it!
And remember, in class, it is useless to debate your Professor or Instructors vis a vie Catholic Morality, etc. All it will do for you is get you poor grades. Unfortunately you can’t fight the system. Just keep your mouth shut, take good notes, and spout back the pap to the Prof to get as good as a grade as you can. If you really take umbrage at something being taught in the classroom, discuss it with the Catholic Chaplain or your Parish Priest before you do something rash-like going to the Chairman of the Department, or a Dean, or dropping the Course.

Thanks.

The Newman Center on campus only has things going on while I am working, sadly. I’ve tried to make it work but I just can’t.

Up to now I’ve been doing exactly what you describe. My GPA has suffered from the times I have opened my mouth…I’m sitting at a 3.7 so I gotta step it up more. THanks for the advice and prayers. I can already feel the stress building. Bleh.

Praying for you. And your fellow students.

The Miracle Prayer
Lord Jesus, I come before Thee, just as I am, I am sorry for my sins, I repent of my sins, please forgive me. In Thy Name, I forgive all others for what they have done against me. I renounce Satan, the evil spirits and all their works. I give Thee my entire self, Lord Jesus, I accept Thee as my Lord God and Savior. Heal me, change me, strengthen me in body, soul, and spirit.

Come Lord Jesus, cover me with Thy Precious Blood, and fill me with Thy Holy Spirit, I love Thee Lord Jesus, I praise Thee Lord Jesus, I thank Thee Jesus, I shall follow Thee every day of my life. Amen.

Mary, My Mother, Queen of Peace, all the Angels and Saints, please help me. Amen.

Original - Prayer to St. Michael

“O Glorious Prince of the heavenly host, St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the battle and in the terrible warfare that we are waging against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the evil spirits. Come to the aid of man, whom Almighty God created immortal, made in His own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of Satan.

“Fight this day the battle of the Lord, together with the holy angels, as already thou hast fought the leader of the proud angels, Lucifer, and his apostate host, who were powerless to resist thee, nor was there place for them any longer in Heaven. That cruel, ancient serpent, who is called the devil or Satan who seduces the whole world, was cast into the abyss with his angels. Behold, this primeval enemy and slayer of men has taken courage. Transformed into an angel of light, he wanders about with all the multitude of wicked spirits, invading the earth in order to blot out the name of God and of His Christ, to seize upon, slay and cast into eternal perdition souls destined for the crown of eternal glory. This wicked dragon pours out, as a most impure flood, the venom of his malice on men of depraved mind and corrupt heart, the spirit of lying, of impiety, of blasphemy, and the pestilent breath of impurity, and of every vice and iniquity.

“These most crafty enemies have filled and inebriated with gall and bitterness the Church, the spouse of the immaculate Lamb, and have laid impious hands on her most sacred possessions. In the Holy Place itself, where the See of Holy Peter and the Chair of Truth has been set up as the light of the world, they have raised the throne of their abominable impiety, with the iniquitous design that when the Pastor has been struck, the sheep may be.

“Arise then, O invincible Prince, bring help against the attacks of the lost spirits to the people of God, and give them the victory. They venerate thee as their protector and patron; in thee holy Church glories as her defense against the malicious power of hell; to thee has God entrusted the souls of men to be established in heavenly beatitude. Oh, pray to the God of peace that He may put Satan under our feet, so far conquered that he may no longer be able to hold men in captivity and harm the Church. Offer our prayers in the sight of the Most High, so that they may quickly find mercy in the sight of the Lord; and vanquishing the dragon, the ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, do thou again make him captive in the abyss, that he may no longer seduce the nations. Amen.
V. Behold the Cross of the Lord; be scattered ye hostile powers.
R. The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered the root of David.
V. Let Thy mercies be upon us, O Lord.
R. As we have hoped in Thee.
V. O Lord, hear my prayer.
R. And let my cry come unto Thee.

Let us pray.
O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, we call upon Thy holy Name, and as supplicants, we implore Thy clemency, that by the intercession of Mary, ever Virgin Immaculate and our Mother, and of the glorious St. Michael the Archangel, Thou wouldst deign to help us against Satan and all the other unclean spirits who wander about the world for the injury of the human race and the ruin of souls. Amen.”

Praying for you …

Great advice. I’d be highly surprised if there wasn’t such a center.

And remember, in class, it is useless to debate your Professor or Instructors vis a vie Catholic Morality, etc. All it will do for you is get you poor grades.

That’s truly weird. I hear this all the time on this forum, but it doesn’t correspond to the way I teach or the way any decent professor would teach. I went to grad school at Duke with a lot of folks of varying religious perspectives and none. I know something about how the folks the OP is taking class with are likely to think. Of course some of them are propagandistic hacks. But any of them who actually take their responsibilities seriously are going to be delighted with a student who cares enough to argue with them.

Where does this idea come from that arguing with the professor gets you poor grades?
Maybe some of it comes from the behavior of some biased and unfair professors.
But I think some of it also comes from the fact that students mistake simply stating their positions with making an intelligent argument for them.

Just keep your mouth shut, take good notes, and spout back the pap to the Prof to get as good as a grade as you can.

This advice, while no doubt well meant, is both foolish and immoral.

The job of a student is not to “spout back the pap” but to think hard and long about the issues involved. As I said, any decent professor will reward this. Any decent professor will be sick and tired of the students who “spout back the pap.” Of course a student needs to be able to describe accurately the arguments being presented and master the information. But hypocrisy is always corrosive to the soul, and frequently doesn’t even accomplish its ends. How dare you advise this student to be a hypocrite and a liar?

To the OP: I know it feels tough, but in many ways you are privileged. Unlike your fellow Catholics who go to conservative Catholic colleges where their beliefs are confirmed, and unlike your secular colleagues who go to your university and have their beliefs confirmed, you get a chance to think through what you believe through wrestling with ideas that you disagree with. You get a chance to learn from and argue with smart professors who will challenge the things you take for granted. Make the most of that chance, and don’t listen to the folks who tell you to throw it away.

Edwin

Perhaps you need to call the priest or other staff person and tell them that you really need some spiritual support and that their hours aren’t working for you. Surely they’ll be willing to have coffee or something.

Also, at the risk of incurring the wrath of folks on this forum, but you could also consider seeking for fellowship among Protestants. Many evangelical fellowship groups may be anti-Catholic, but not all. I would say that on the whole InterVarsity is likely to be the most moderate and ecumenical. Admittedly, my experience was of a grad IV program, which was quite different from the undergrad (according to my friends who had experienced both). But we had Catholic speakers as well as Catholic grad students attending the meetings.

Up to now I’ve been doing exactly what you describe. My GPA has suffered from the times I have opened my mouth.

How do you know this?

Can you give some specific examples?

Edwin

I do. All my friends are protestant.

How do you know this?

Can you give some specific examples?

Edwin

I was getting an A in one of my classes the whole quarter. I lost my cool when the professor insulted people of a particular political persuasion and I politely spoke with her after class and said it would really help me and others if politics were left out of class discussions since it doesn’t relate at all to the subject matter, and I as well as others, don’t feel comfortable participating in class discussions when our beliefs are treated that way. It makes a hostile environment and I enjoyed her class too much to have to just sit back and be an inanimate sponge.

Suddenly, I started getting poor grades on essays and the only thing that got me a A- in the end were the non-subjective multiple choice tests she was in the habit of giving…of course, all my essay questions were graded very harshly. I have a liberal christian friend who even looked over it and agreed that it was out of line.

Ruined my 4.0, and all because I dared to speak up.

Anyway…continued prayers are helpful. The stress is so much now that for the first time in over a year I lost my temper and threw a little box of freezer bags across my kitchen and screamed at it.

I’m just feeling too confronted on all sides. I feel like I’m losing my mind.

You whole university is “anti-Christian”? Really? That sounds so…extreme. I mean, I know most universities are open to many different religions and atheists and agnostics…and many profs as individuals have their own beliefs, as all people do…but for a school to be specifically anti-Christian in America? How so? Your examples given so far don’t sound like it…you gave an example about something political. I’m very curious…please explain?

You know, if you wanted to debate this hitting me up about 2 months ago would have been a better time as this isn’t the first time I’ve talked about it. Waiting until I’m feeling like this isn’t going to get you engaged in a discussion about it. I’d appreciate prayers right now, not even MORE arguments. If you want, you can look through previous posts I’ve made on this forum to see what I mean.

I’ve been where you are. I’m still there in post graduate work. It’s very difficult. You will feel stupid and alone. Just remember that you are in a very rotten environment, and don’t let the uniqueness of your faith and views make you feel like a fool. You are not a fool. Just do the bare minimum and get out of there when you can. The entire culture (academic and social) at most universities and colleges is designed to indoctrinate you.

Keep the faith. Don’t feel stupid. I’ll say a prayer for you. Hopefully, you have family that can act as a lifeline. If not, there’s this website and a handful of other media outlets. Finally, and certainly not least, you’ve got your Bible. Look in some of Paul’s letters where he refers to the wise men of the world embracing sin and ridiculing God’s moral laws. It’s nothing new, but it is very difficult not to feel alone and humiliated. It is even more demoralizing when you run into so-called Christians that are completely blind to the indoctrination at your school or institution. They, too, will make you feel alone.

But you are not alone.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art tou among women and
blessedis the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of death.

Thanks for the encouragement. I’ll have to read the epistles of Paul again. I’ve been reading from the Psalms a lot lately.

The hardest part is feeling alone. Especially when you are turning red and trying to not stand out in any way when profs and other students start going off on those “child raping priests.” sighThankfully I do have a wonderful priest who is standing with me in all of this. He’s my boss (I’m the music director of my parish) and becoming a good friend. I’m blessed to have him around. Other than that all I have is my husband and he’s begging me to “just ignore it.” he doesn’t understand though since he never really went to college.

Not looking to debate or argue…just wasn’t understanding what you meant about it being anti-Christian. I was imagining Satanists picketing or something. I will try to find your other posts to clarify. I guess everyone else here has already read your past posts and are familiar with your situation.

I’m sorry, I suppose I misjudged.

People who pray in sight of others for any reason (there are some who pray before class) are generally shouted at or have things thrown at them. A booth was set up to give out bibles and advertise a christian alliance club for christians on campus to fellowship - not for evanglemizing. They were placed behind a huge sign behind a building by the university so they couldn’t be seen. The ones who knew they were there vandalized the table. My professors openly mock all forms of christianity, blaspheme catholic beliefs, and when I explain that there are catholics in their class they say “I don’t want a debate. Please be quiet and stay on topic”

Bulletins are regularly posted mocking christianity and seminars given about “the christian myth.” It is a hostile environment to say the least. My previous posts on the forum give other examples, these are just a few. While the university states that Christians are “welcome” the hostile environment and attitude of the professors show that they exist to change you.

!!! That’s TERRIBLE !!!
So much for freedom of religion.
Prayers enroute.
I mean, it’s good for everyone to have their voice and discuss and debate their different beliefs, etc…that’s one thing university is for…but to be hostile and violent is just horrible.
I hope you can go to another school…

(I did look for your other posts, btw…was sifting through and haven’t found them yet but will keep looking…)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.