First Divine Liturgy today

Hey there, I just attended my first Greek Catholic Divine Liturgy at the Ukrainian church in my city (my relatives who attend invited me). It was beautiful, but as someone who has been going to the Roman Catholic Mass my whole life, it was a bit difficult to follow and I couldn’t help but feeling like an outsider. Does anyone have any tips and resources for my next visit?

3 Likes

@Margaret_Ann @Vico

Both of these people are EC’s iirc, and are very knowledgeable with this.

Also maybe check this site out:
https://melkite.org/

Or

http://ukrarcheparchy.us/

3 Likes

I think that trying to follow in the book when you’re new is not the best way to go. Just listen to what’s being said and done.

There are prayers in the book that are said for the deceased, inserted in different spots, which are often not prayed on a Sunday. Some prayers are for weekdays, some for Sundays. Pages are skipped because of this, and in no time you’re trying to figure out where they are. I remember those days, kind of frustrating. It’s easier to bring the book home, and get more familiar with it.

Welcome!

4 Likes

Thank you!

Back some years our parish started vespers on Saturdays at 6 pm. The hymnology was beautiful. Jam packed full of catechism. The feast days were wonderful. I really grew in my appreciation of the faith by attending vespers through the year. It was a great preparation for the Sunday morning Liturgy.

2 Likes

Royal Doors has Sunday & Feast Day propers. This is for today, the 14th Sunday after Pentecost and the Feast of the Miracle of St. Michael:

This is for the Nativity of the Mother of God:

Next week is the Sunday Before the Exaltation of the Holy Cross:

And here’s the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross:

The Exaltation of the Holy Cross is such a BIG Holy Day that it gets a Sunday before AND after the Feast. Only the Nativity of Christ and Theophany get a Sunday before AND after the Feast. (Pascha is sui generis because it has a 39-day post-Feast.) Plus, it’s a day of STRICT FAST & ABSTINENCE. No meat, no dairy products and nothing with meat and/or dairy products in them. I always say it’s like Good Friday in the fall.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.