First edition of King James Bible from 1611 found in church cupboard

A vicar clearing out a cupboard at his church found a forgotten first edition King James Bible dating back to 1611.

There are believed to be fewer than 200 such Bibles still in existence.

The Rev Dr Jason Bray stumbled upon it as he was taking stock at St Giles Parish Church in Wrexham town centre.

He said: "We basically found it when we were going through the cupboards.

"We didn’t know it was a first edition, but we sent photographs to the National Library of Wales and they confirmed that it was, dating back to 1611.

A vicar clearing out a cupboard at his church found a forgotten first edition King James Bible dating back to 1611.

The Rev Dr Jason Bray stumbled upon it as he was taking stock at St Giles Parish Church in Wrexham town centre.

"We didn’t know it was a first edition, but we sent photographs to the National Library of Wales and they confirmed that it was, dating back to 1611.

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11918537/First-edition-of-King-James-Bible-from-1611-found-in-church-cupboard.html

Frighteningly symbolic, I’d have to say.

Cool. I may not care for the King Jame’s Version, but this is an awesome find from an historic perspective. I hope it’s still in good shape, cupboards aren’t exactly the best storage space :stuck_out_tongue:

If King James wanted true unity, why didn’t he take his country back to the Catholic Church and TRUE unity?? Look at the harm that has been done to Christianity, and it gets worse all the time! God Bless, Memaw

:)I have a very first revision of the New Testament (king James version), I considered taking it to show my priest since I’m considering selling it. I suppose If I had done that, I could’ve forgotten mine as well and it be found many years later. Lol

I wonder if its possible a protestant preacher, brought his bible when having a discussion with the priest about any differences all those years ago?
Or if perhaps a convert to Catholicism wasn’t sure what to do with his incomplete bible and so brought it for the priest to decide what to do with it, which in turn caused it to be forgotten?
Not big news in my opinion but sort of interesting due to value of book.

This is wonderful because the Church can chose to sell it, that would make a fine donation to the Church I imagine.:slight_smile:

I wasn’t aware it was found in a Catholic Church. God Bless, Memaw

Doesn’t the 1st edition KJV still have “all” the books of the OT? :smiley:

Maybe it’s because he disagreed on the doctrine of the church .
Keep the faith Meemaw , Starwars :slight_smile:

Actually it is not a Catholic Church. But an Anglican one.

The actual church is THE icon of the town of Wrexham, it’s bell tower

I’m not even sure if the parish is “Catholic” in the sense of it being used within the Church in Wales. Seems more broad to me!

Fantastic find though. I love the King James, though he ought to shove it back in the cupboard.

Geesh!! I almost never ‘assume’ anything at all. But I admit, this IS a Catholic website, and I suppose I just couldn’t imagine why this would even be mentioned Unless it had been found in a Catholic Church.
Not that it’s not interesting, it is. I have a few antique books myself and this subject interests me, I’m just surprised its here on this site I guess.

Also, if you knew it was found at Anglican Church, then don’t ya think it may have been a good idea to mention that?

Which leads to this question, do the Anglicans have a website devoted to them?

I can list a few. Oremus, Ship of Fools is ecumenical and invites all denominations which include a wealthy population of Anglicans. There’s the forum.anglican.net site, and then theres a few in the “continuing Anglican” tradition where mainstream Anglicanism isn’t the majority but rather more traditional type.

But it’s nice to see news in the Anglican world. They’re ©catholic!

King Henry as well as King James should have taken that up with God, (after all, it was HIS Doctrine they were disagreeing on.) Maybe would have saved themselves a heap a lot of trouble. Happy to say the Catholic Doctrine hasn’t changed one bit for 2,000 years, in spite of all the problems over History! God Bless, Memaw

Thank you for sharing.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL…

What a gorgeous church.

of course, they do.

this is quite an historical find! I wonder how long it has been in the cupboard?

the church is beautiful.

It’s true that King James was not particularly kind to Roman Catholics during his reign.

Not many people know but here in the US there is a replica of that tower or one very heavily inspired from it at Yale University.
The reason is that Eliugh Yale to whom the University owes it’s name is buried in the grounds of St Giles church in Wrexham.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/jerryz2013/media/The_tomb_of_Eliugh_Yale_-north_side-geograph.org.uk-_1472637_zps4pgzhf9n.jpg.html

“The tomb of Eliugh Yale - north side - geograph.org.uk - 1472637” by John S Turner. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Commons - commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_tomb_of_Eliugh_Yale_-north_side-geograph.org.uk-1472637.jpg#/media/File:The_tomb_of_Eliugh_Yale-north_side-geograph.org.uk-_1472637.jpg

Cool! thanks for the info. I think many important early founders and builders were Anglicans at some point.

Indeed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.