First encounter with Mary

So i am in the process of converting (not in rcia yet) and im praying the rosary but still have had a hard time with accepting Mary…as I was a protestant before…well last night i prayed for jesus to help me to be more open and to understand her and the cathtolic love and appreciation for her…
And last night in the middle of an already strange dream to begin with, well I was in what i assumed was a church but there was this giant statue type deal coming out of the wall, it was Mary but only the top half, and i think i was looking at the statue and thinking how pretty and holy she looked and how it would be nice to really grasp a love for her, and then her head began to move and she mouthed words to me but i could not hear her, then she kept pointing, and i looked and my oldest son (daven 4yrs old) was sitting in the pew, just him and i in this church, and she kept pointing to him and i asked her what she meant and she pointed again and i asked if im supposed to bring him to mass with me and she shook her head and after that i remember her going back to a statue…it was amazing…it touched me in such a way…cause my 4 yr old is quite the challenge and i have not taken him to mass with me yet for fear of him lashing out in the middle of mass cause he doesnt like the kids church programs at any church. and i go to a protestant church with my husband on sundays also and i dont want to make him go to two services in one day…but i know i need to get him into church cause ive always felt that god had big plans for him but daven isnt being taught that yet and he needs to be cause he is at the age where he can start understanding.,…i was 4 years old when i went to church for the first time and i came home telling my parents they had to accept jesus and go to church cause he was coming back to earth in 2 weeks and if they didnt they would go with the devil lol…needless to say that wasnt quite accurate but my parents made their way into church…anyways…jesus i believe had mary talk to me in my dream to tell me to focus more on my son and teaching him about my new found faith or faith in general so that he can be saved and god can work through him. what do you think? is this dream valid? or should i ignore?

Thank you for sharing your dream with us and your faith journey. God does use dreams to communicate with us and it is written in the Bible, and I do believe He still does today.

Sometimes, dreams have meaning; sometimes it doesn’t. Your dream sounds special. How valid/invalid that is, you are on the right track to ask God to help you open your heart and mind to accept His teaching through the Church.

My formal girlfriend had quite special dreams in which Jesus and Mary appeared to her and they did have message for her. It turns out that is true and she is doing in real life what Jesus asked of her in her dream.

You and your family are very blessed.

Hey, I’m not a Catholic, I’m an Anglican… but I’ve just started a new found relationship with Mary… I’d really recommend you read Hail, Holy Queen: Mother of God in the Word of God by Scott Hahn. It’s amazing, and helps you understand so much of Mary.

Don’t be afraid to take your son to church no matter how troublesome he may seem. Large oaks, from tiny seeds. Churches are supposed to welcome everyone, that may not always be the case, but if someone has a problem with that it’s worth politely reminding them.

x

Dear Loving Armstrong,

Please read this:

***Mary’s memories
11. Mary lived with her eyes fixed on Christ, treasuring his every word: “She kept all these things, pondering them in her heart” (Lk 2:19; cf. 2:51). The memories of Jesus, impressed upon her heart, were always with her, leading her to reflect on the various moments of her life at her Son’s side. In a way those memories were to be the “rosary” which she recited uninterruptedly throughout her earthly life.

Even now, amid the joyful songs of the heavenly Jerusalem, the reasons for her thanksgiving and praise remain unchanged. They inspire her maternal concern for the pilgrim Church, in which she continues to relate her personal account of the Gospel. Mary constantly sets before the faithful the “mysteries” of her Son, with the desire that the contemplation of those mysteries will release all their saving power. In the recitation of the Rosary, the Christian community enters into contact with the memories and the contemplative gaze of Mary.**

Do you remember how you felt when you first held your little baby boy? Isn’t it amazing that you love someone so much though he has been in the world and in your life only 4 years.

Just imagine now, for a moment, Mary’s love of the child Jesus!

Go with her to the Annunciation, when she first conceived Jesus in her womb. Do you remember carrying your baby and how much you loved him. Go to Mary and mediate on her love of Jesus even while she carried him.

Go to Mary’s and experience her ecstatic love for baby Jesus as she held Him at the Nativity.

Mary is the vessel of pure devotion and Love for Jesus.

She’s all about complete and total LOVE of JESUS!

Does this help understand why the saints since the very beginning of the Church had great devotion to Mary? Because, as the Holy Father says in his letter, by encountering Mary in the Rosary, you will encounter her memories.

Her memories of our Lord Jesus Christ are saturated in complete total blissful love.

I think it is always right to want to teach children about faith :slight_smile:

you asked Jesus to show you more about Mary, and had the dream… it’s quite possible that it’s from God :wink: He does use dreams sometimes.

One morning I asked to show me more about Mary, and in the evening something happened where I understood much more about her. God does answer prayer.

I hope everything goes well with your conversion :slight_smile: I was Protestant before and I’m becoming Catholic too. It was very difficult for me to accept Mary. Just keep on going :slight_smile: God will make things more clear in time. Keep on praying and trust Him… pray the Rosary too…

maybe you can try taking your son to Mass and just see what happens :slight_smile:

also, I had this idea… you asked Jesus to help you understand about Mary… and then saw her pointing to your son. Mary also points us to *her *Son as well, her role in the Church is to lead us more to Jesus and that is the basis of the “Catholic appreciation of her” :slight_smile:

God bless.

As i read the idea you had about her pointing to my son and her job is to point us to her son this hit me like a ton of bricks! i dont know what i get of it but it is very very i cant even find a word to describe the feeling…but my sons name, i have been told, means to pray…and he was given this name because i was walking one day while pregnant with him and the name “daven” entered my head and just seemed perfect, so i named him that…i didnt find out the meaning til he was 14 months old…so this dream could be pointing to a lot, i guess, maybe to pray maybe that in teaching my son about my faith I will in turn learn a lot more than expected…thank you so much for revieling this to me…
and a previous poster said to go with her and how she felt carrying baby jesus in her womb and so on…and whats remarkable is i have been doing this…with every mystery i picture how she felt growing her son, raising him and then letting him go on to fulfill his destiny…it had to be so hard for her to do all of that…i know it is very hard to be a mother and i cant imagine watching my child suffer and die…she was truly remarkable to hold to god’s will even when she had to let him go to be sacrificed for the human race to be saved…

wow!! that’s soo cool, because… right when I read about Mary pointing to your son, that seemed really significant to me. I kept on wondering why that is. And then when I had finished my post, I realized…that’s it, that’s why it felt special. I had some trouble putting it into words though. I’m not saying that’s definitely the truth, but it just came to me suddenly :slight_smile: So I’m glad that meant something to you.

i dont know what i get of it but it is very very i cant even find a word to describe the feeling…but my sons name, i have been told, means to pray…and he was given this name because i was walking one day while pregnant with him and the name “daven” entered my head and just seemed perfect, so i named him that…i didnt find out the meaning til he was 14 months old…so this dream could be pointing to a lot, i guess, maybe to pray maybe that in teaching my son about my faith I will in turn learn a lot more than expected…thank you so much for revieling this to me…
and a previous poster said to go with her and how she felt carrying baby jesus in her womb and so on…and whats remarkable is i have been doing this…with every mystery i picture how she felt growing her son, raising him and then letting him go on to fulfill his destiny…it had to be so hard for her to do all of that…i know it is very hard to be a mother and i cant imagine watching my child suffer and die…she was truly remarkable to hold to god’s will even when she had to let him go to be sacrificed for the human race to be saved…

very true :slight_smile:

I hope in time your dream will make more and more sense to you! Sometimes it just takes time for things to be revealed.

God bless you! :slight_smile:

Mary has a special ministry to children. She will help you at all times be the very best mother that you can be to your children.

I have used this video with my 4-year old daughter, and it has really touched her and helped her to begin to understand her faith. One day I went to pick her up from school, and they were playing classical music. Pachebell’s Canon began to play, and she looked up and said, “It’s Maria!” You have to watch the video to understand.

youtube.com/watch?v=9BWvRkkr3DM&feature=related

Great video thanks!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.