First Five Saturdays, Act of Reparation prayer question

For the act of Reparation for the First Five Saturdays devotion, do you have to say a set prayer) or can you formulate your own prayer of reparation?

The prayer that seems to be most commonly available is good (I think anyway) but does anyone know where it originates from:

"O Most Holy Virgin, and Our Mother, we listen with grief to the complaints of your Immaculate Heart surrounded with the thorns placed therein at every moment by the blasphemies and ingratitude of ungrateful humanity… " etc.

Did Sister Lucia ever write a prayer fot the Act of Reparation?

The act of reparation consists in doing what was asked in regard to the First Saturdays…

1. Receiving the sacrament of reconciliation
  2. Receiving the sacrament of the Eucharist
  3. Reciting five decades of the Rosary
  4. Meditating for an additional 15 minutes on one or all the mysteries of the Rosary.

What Don Ruggero said. I’ve not heard of a set prayer that one has to say.

You are supposed to state your intention to meet the First Saturday obligation at some point before you begin doing the listed items in the last post. Some sources suggest you renew it for each item you accomplish. I usually just say something like “Holy Mary, this Confession is to meet my monthly obligation for the Five First Saturdays in Reparation.”

Thank you both for your replies. It would seem to make sense that any heartfelt prayer or intention to make reparation for the offences against our Blessed Mother’s Immaculate Heart would be suitable during this devotion.

Hi Brendan,

I don’t recall reciting any specific prayer of reparation.

I just recall doing the steps for the First Five Saturdays as Fr. Ruggero has them outlined in his post. :slight_smile:

The steps ought to be done with the intention of reparation for offences committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary. A prayer is a means of formulating this intention and focussing on why you are carrying out the steps.

There is a very nice prayer (the opening of which I posted earlier) that does this, that seems to be around online on a number of sites. I wonder if anyone knows the origin of this prayer.

Like I said, I haven’t seen a particular prayer used, like the one you’ve mentioned. :slight_smile:

All that I’ve seen–and that I have personally done myself, too–is that someone makes reparation by completing each of the steps as they do them, where they go to Confession, recite the Rosary, and receive the Eucharist.

Here is a link to one of the various Marian websites that are out there for the First Saturdays Devotion, in case someone is not familiar with it and would like to see it:

rosary-center.org/firstsat.htm

It’s a pretty prayer, anyway. Maybe I’ll say it next First Saturday though it is not required.

It doesn’t seem to be in the 1910 Raccolta of which there is a searchable PDF online. I also doubt that Sister Lucia wrote it as it doesn’t sound like her writing style, which was pretty simple. I’d guess it was probably propagated through some devotional organization (Blue Army or similar) over the years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.