First Friday "Reminder"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Tomorrow is the First Friday of March. Especially during this season Lent, it is good for us to ponder, more deeply and more often, the great suffering of Our Lord, Who loved us to the end. On First Fridays, we offer reparation for our sins and for all the sins of the world, especially in those who have shown indifference and ingratitude toward the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is of great antiquity in the Church. It was St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, however, who made this devotion widespread. In 1675, within the octave of the feast of Corpus Christi, our Lord appeared to her and said: “Behold this heart which, not withstanding the burning love for men with which it is consumed and exhausted, meets with no other return from most Christians than sacrilege, contempt, indifference and ingratitude, even in the sacrament of my love [the Eucharist]. But what pierces my heart most deeply is that I am subjected to these insults by persons especially consecrated to my service.” (CNA)

For more information on the history and practice of the First Friday Devotion see HERE

Our parish has exposition of the Blessed Sacrament after the First Friday Mass, till 4:00 PM.

We also have a shared pot-luck breakfast in the hall on the same day, so if not all the hours are signed up for, we can announce it then.

It is a special atmosphere to pray quietly in, with other parishioners.

Peace,

Dorothy

Thank you, indeed today is first friday. I am going to mass, and the blessed sacrament will be exposed for adoration.

Dear Dorothy,

Thanks for your reply and for sharing this beautiful custom for First Friday’s in your parish.

May the Heart of Jesus, in the Most Blessed Sacrament, be praised adored and loved with grateful affection, at every moment in all the tabernacles of the world, even to the end of time.

Thanks, Therese

For your love of Jesus on this First Saturday and for your desire to offer reparation to His Sacred Heart, so wounded by our sins!

May all of us adore Him – in the “tabernacles” of our hearts if we cannot receive Him sacramentally and adore Him reigning within us, if we cannot be at Mass or Eucharistic adoration today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.