First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study

Death is a depressingly inevitable consequence of life, but now scientists believe they may have found some light at the end of the tunnel.

The largest ever medical study into near-death and out-of-body experiences has discovered that some awareness may continue even after the brain has shut down completely.

It is a controversial subject which has, until recently, been treated with widespread scepticism.

telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html

Even under optimal conditions our memories are not infallible, so I’m not sure how these researchers can rely on memories that were ostensibly formed when the subjects’ brains were severely compromised. Actually, I’m not even sure how the subjects can even know that their experiences occurred when their brains were most compromised since reports of NDEs are never taken in real time, but often hours, days or even weeks after the alleged experiences.

Um… I thought we were supposed to mistrust scientific studies.

Interesting! :thumbsup:

Why did they say that the people experiencing this were only dead for 3 minutes? Why not longer?

It’s really hard to be dead for longer than 3 minutes and still make it back, I suspect.

Brain damage would be significant after three minutes, at least according to the House episodes I watched.:smiley:

Depends. True science is not our enemy.

How do we know it’s “true” science? If it agrees with our preconceived notions?

Who has made the blanket statement that all scientific studies should be “mistrusted”?

Well, a basic tenet of science is skepticism, which I guess you could consider mistrust. The idea that when you look at a study you need to look at the data, to see if it actually supports the conclusion. How the data was collected- are they overlooking possible errors in their methodology? Consistency in analyzing the data-- do they unaccountably drop out data that isnt’ consistent with their conclusion, or interpolate data instead of using actual data? Some of the questions above are along those lines. Is there sufficient detail for other researchers to duplicate the experiment/observations?

Have they considered alternative hypotheses and either explain why they are not supported by the data or how those alternatives could be tested for in further experimentation?

This is true. Mistrust (meaning skepticism) is not the same as rejecting

Many scientist today hold to a materialistic naturalism philosophy that excludes the possibility of God.
It nevertheless has nothing to do with science.

To paraphrase Benedict XVI, science cannot contradict faith. Truth simply does not contradict itself.

I dunno, atheists don’t usually follow this when it comes to studies saying prayer doesn’t work, they latch onto those like candy. I find it funny why they aren’t so eager to accept this study now.

Anthropologist Rene Girard notes how the mistrust that is integral to Christianity predicates the development of science and the search for greater certainty.
We are a people after all, who murdered God, who could not distinguish Jesus, the Son of Man, from Barabbas, in translation, the son of God.

Before Christ, there was certainty in the guilt of our scapegoats, After Christ, indeed, the community may rally against the old hag with moss growing between her toes, and burn her as a witch, but not there is self-doubt, there always arises those dissenting voice from within and from without, that surely this, the least of our brother, was Jesus, or an angel in disguise.

Christianity fosters a culture of self doubt and critical thought, and that is the culture that science flourishes in.

I guess, then, that wouldn’t really be “dead” then. Right?

A person’s heart and breathing stopping temporarily…does not mean dead. If they come back, they are not dead.

We kinda already knew there was still “awareness”–hence the “white light” stories people come back with in these circumstances.

My own bias in regards to the OP is based in the resurrection of the body, and the idea that mind and body are an indivisible unit. Consciousness is of the body, and the body is essential to consciousness.

If science is able to establish some factual evidence to the contrary, I would have to rethink my position for sure.

Death is a depressingly inevitable consequence of life, but now scientists believe they may have found some light at the end of the tunnel.

telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/11144442/First-hint-of-life-after-death-in-biggest-ever-scientific-study.html

One man even recalled leaving his body entirely and watching his resuscitation from the corner of the room.

And they found that nearly 40 per cent of people who survived described some kind of ‘awareness’ during the time when they were clinically dead before their hearts were restarted.

Despite being unconscious and ‘dead’ for three minutes,

peacefulness while nearly one third said time had slowed down or speed up.

a bright light; a golden flash or the Sun shining. 13 per cent said they had felt separated from their bodies and the same number said their sensed had been heightened.

I think this happens to “everyone” its not only the above souls, its others who don’t see, don’t remember, or simply don’t have the vision through some worldly denial or whatever reason. All this above can and does happen to the living also. I give them credit for reporting the truth which has always been the truth.

Whats the percent who spoke to God, Jesus Christ comes to judge the living and dead.

I thought I had it RIGHT when I conjectured that we
will not have our memories after death, since our
brains will deteriorate. But after some meditating on
this and sharing with other believers, here’s what I came
up with. Our memories will be KEPT SAFE with Christ,
our HEAD, only they will be filtered thru LOVE and
perhaps we will all SHARE memories of happy times
with believers throughout the ages, wouldn’t that
be cool!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.