First Holy Communion Mass question

I just got an invitation for one of my family member's son's First Holy Communion, and it says that the Mass is Saturday, May 11 at 11:00 a.m. I wondered if there was a mistake in the date, but I checked on the parish's website, and the date and time is in fact Saturday, May 11 at 11:00 a.m. I thought that was odd because First Holy Communion is usually celebrated on a Sunday or the Saturday anticipated Mass. Does this Mass count as the Sunday obligation? I would think not since it is in the morning, but I'm not sure.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:324553"]
I thought that was odd because First Holy Communion is usually celebrated on a Sunday or the Saturday anticipated Mass.

[/quote]

No... it's not uncommon for First Communion Masses to be celebrated on Saturday, outside of the normal weekend schedule. Due to the great number of family members who show up for these Masses, it makes for a difficult choice for a pastor: schedule 1HC during a Sunday Mass and have a logistical nightmare? Break up the class and schedule it on a number of successive weekends? Or schedule it on Saturday morning?

Does this Mass count as the Sunday obligation? I would think not since it is in the morning, but I'm not sure.

You're correct -- a Saturday morning Mass does not meet the requirements for the Sunday obligation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.