First Latin Mass

I attended my first Latin Mass today at Our Lady of the Rosary Church in Jersey City, NJ. It was beautiful, breath taking, mind blowing, moving, emotional ect. I didnt pick up a missalete so I was kinda confused but I got the gist of it. Ill be making this my weekly mass now I think.

Whats the viel called that the ladies where , and why do they were it? And why is the incense used so much, what is it and what does it signify?

Anthony

When I was a kid growing up the women always covered their heads. It was a requirement of canon law that has since been repealed.

But nobody wore those hideous long veils you often see today, they were like cute little doilies and often were just nice little hats. The long tatted and crocheted veils are now a long-running fad among traditionalists, as if they must exaggerate the fact that they have their heads covered. It looks to me that it might be a Spanish style of head covering but I’ll never know. My grandmother would never have worn it.

I appreciate the modest dress, but some people come in dressed like Amish, and I don’t know where they get that from. We never used to dress that way, business suit for Dad, a nice print dress on Mom and the girls with maybe a little ribbon or lace and a tie and ironed slacks on the boys.

Similarly, I remember well the incense that was used at high Masses, especially on Holy Days, but I’ll tell you I never experienced the billowing clouds of incense they use now, at least I don’t remember it that way.

The traditionalist Masses I have attended in recent years seem to exaggerate some details like that as if to announce; “here we are, doing our Mass, just try and stop us”!

So that’s my geezer commentary on the “new” latin Mass, and fashion police report. No offence intended. :smiley:

Michael, that sinner

When I was a child (in the 60’s), the little girls wore the doily-type veils and their mothers wore the longer ones (called mantillas, pronounced man-TEE-ahs). It was an honor to be old enough for a mantilla or to borrow your mother’s. Here in Baltimore, they were sold at the loveliest department store in town (run by Jewish people!). I still have the one my mother bought from there - it’s triangular, cream colored lace - mostly netting on the inside of the triangle, mostly patterned on the edges - just gorgeous. It’s too fragile to wear now, and of course, I’d look a little foolish, but every once in a while I take it out of the drawer and reminisce. We used to disagree about how it should be worn, too. She (correctly) wore it with the point of the triangle at the top of her head. I (bullheadedly) wore mine with the long edge in the front.

Now whenever I see one at a yard sale, I buy it. I would like to wear them for adoration, but don’t want to be a distraction to anyone, and besides, I never remember to take one with me.

Betsy

Au Contraire, Hesychios. People don’t wear the longer veils just to show off how “traditional” they are. They just prefer them. Personally, I think the doilies look silly…more like a drink coaster than a head covering. It is personal taste, not a desire to show off.

People wear them for other reasons besides tradition, too. I wear one not because I am a traditionalist (I regularly attend Novus Ordo), but because I think they are a sign of the vocation of women, and it is a privilage to wear them because of what they represent.

Last, the veils are not a long-running fad. They are much less of a fad than the doilies or hats, since veils have been worn much longer.

But nobody wore those hideous long veils you often see today,

Hesychios, I guess you’ve never heard of a thing called MODESTY.

[quote=Marines]Hesychios, I guess you’ve never heard of a thing called MODESTY.
[/quote]

Thanks for the ad hominum attack. I have learned something.

Michael, that sinner

To A. Pelliccio: Welcome aboard. Once you’ve witnessed a Traditional Latin Mass, (the most beautiful thing this side of heaven) there is just no going back to the Protestant picnic table and “On Eagles Wings.”

Trads must be smart. I took the paper doilies left over from a church party and put them out with the missalettes. To date, no one has fallen for the prank

Latin Mass Only:

With all due respect, I take great offense at the use of the term “Protestant picnic table” for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. In fact, this term rivals “Death Cookie” (à la Jack Chick) for the Eucharist in its offensiveness.

Are you perhaps an attendee of the Masses of the SSPX or sedevantists? If you have an issue with the current Ordo Missae, please approach the issue with charity.

While it doesnt apply to all NOs, I still like the term, Baby Mass.

Yea it was beatiful too bad it was preety empty.

Use of incense dates to the Old Testament. In the Tridentine Rite, incense was used for High Mass, Solemn High Mass (deacon and sub-deacon assisting the priest), and a Missa Cantata (like a funeral Mass), and at Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament. In the Byzantine Rite we use incense every day.

In the old days people didn’t bath as often as we do. So the sweet smell sort of covered up the foul smell. Incense symbolyizes us, the people. It melts on the charcoal, as we must “melt” (ie. loose our identity) to become one in Christ. During Lent we have a service that uses the verse from the Psalm “Let my prayer arise like incense to you, Oh Lord”. So incense also symbolizes our prayers. We stimulate all of our senses: taste, sight, smell,etc.

The Mass only presented the parishoners with the Host is that traditional?

[quote=Hesychios]But nobody wore those hideous long veils you often see today, they were like cute little doilies and often were just nice little hats. The long tatted and crocheted veils are now a long-running fad among traditionalists,
[/quote]

Those cute little doilies have to be fastened down with hairpins, which make them (at least mine) stick up in spots, sort of like a warped frisbee. They also make me look like I put a saucer on my head.

The mantilla need not be secured and if so, one pin usually does the trick, and I don’t feel like I’ve got a mis-shapen object on my head. I don’t, however, wear a head covering to the N.O Mass, although I probably should.

JELane

From around the 11th century till about the 70s, and in some dioceses the 80s, only the host was offered, and still to this day in most dioceses, it is not difficult to find a parish that still only offers the host, also outside of the English speaking world, communion under both species is not that common. In the tridentine mass, only the host is offered, though I read someone say in Australia, one Traditional mass offers the hosts dipped in the precious blood(intinction).

To TLM Altar Boy:

Sorry if you took offense to my posting. But no, I’m an indult TLM Roman Catholic, not a SSPX or sedevacantist (although Rome has recently stated that those who wish to attend a SSPX Mass out of love for the 1962 missal may do so in order to fullfill ones Sunday obligation.)

My reference to a “Protestant picnic table” was perhaps out of line. But when faced with all the other novelties since 1969, well, I guess I have to accept that we are in the “Springtime of the Church?”

Dear friends in Christ,

I realize that I have offended some of you for the comment about the mantilla in post #2.

I am sorry and regret it, I ask for your forgiveness. I understand that there was no reason to share my opinion about the item in this discussion. I hope that we can overlook this foolishness of mine, and I will try to be more factual and less opinionated in my posts.

Now please resume your regularly scheduled programming. :slight_smile:

Michael, that sinner

[quote=Latin Mass Only]I’m an indult TLM Roman Catholic
[/quote]

I understand people calling themselves Armenian Catholic, Ukrainian Catholic, Byzantine Catholic or a member of any of the 22 churches that presently make up the Catholic Church. These Churches all observe a particular Rite (Byzantine, Maronite, etc.).

But there is currently only one Roman Rite, and only one Roman Catholic Church. The TLM is not a separate Rite, and those who attend it do not belong to a separate sect of Catholicism. Therefore there really aren’t any “indult TLM Roman Catholics”.

At least this is my understanding; if anyone has been told differently I would be interested in the explanation.

When and where is this statement from Rome?

I just bought a CD–Latin High Mass for Nostalgic Catholics. It’s wonderful–uses some chant, some Ren-music, some classical composers. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come with a text cheat-sheet.

DaveBj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.