First mass of thanksgiving

Is a Priest's mass of thanksgiving usually a normal sunday mass, where they use the Sunday's readings? Or does the priest usually pick out the readings, psalms, hymns ect.

This intrests me because I want to be a priest myself. And if I planned a mass it would be a very traditional one with lot's of incense and nothing but the organ, and kneeling for communion/

[quote="DarrenOglesby, post:1, topic:256493"]
Is a Priest's mass of thanksgiving usually a normal sunday mass, where they use the Sunday's readings? Or does the priest usually pick out the readings, psalms, hymns ect.

This intrests me because I want to be a priest myself. And if I planned a mass it would be a very traditional one with lot's of incense and nothing but the organ, and kneeling for communion/

[/quote]

I believe it is a normal Sunday Mass.

I also believe that a priest's choices may be limited by the pastor of the Church where he is to celebrate this Mass.

There is no way that you could mandate kneeling for communion. You might try to encourage it but in the United States standing is allowed and I do not think it can be denied.

I meant to add that of course, but a suggestion on kneeling by placing a movable kneeler to the front of the church. I am not planning anything though. Just curious, all I am focused on now is entering seminary.

Is a priest's mass of thanksgiving usually a normal Sunday mass, where they use the Sunday's readings? Or does the priest usually pick out the readings, psalms, hymns etc.

[/quote]

Well, if it was on a Sunday, it would have to be the Mass for that Sunday. But if you had it like on a Saturday or other weekday, it could be a votive Mass of something.

[/quote]

All the "First Masses" I've attended were on Sundays and used the normal Sunday readings.

As far as choice of parishes, I've heard that they are normally held at the parents' parish.

Of course, my experience has been mostly with archdiocesan priests here in Chitown.

[/quote]

From what I have seen, a priest's Mass of Thanksgiving is usually celebrated during one of the regular Sunday Mass times at his home parish- and other than a *possible *say in the choice of music and readers/cantors/etc, your first Mass will probably be similar to the other liturgies at the parish.

I'm sure seminarians imagine their "dream liturgy" just like people who want to get married imagine their "dream wedding." That's fine- but it's important, and essential, to be practical. As you progress in seminary studies, this will become clearer to you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.