First Post -- Please Pray for us and we will in turn pray for you

On Friday, June 12th, 2009, my wife and I lost our baby pet daughter (she was a 6 year old parakeet whom we rescued along with her mate back in 2003 from a terrible caretaker).

Anyway, she (along with her mate who is still with us) was the heart and soul of our family. She made life on Earth blissful for me and my wife as we watched her play, sing, dance, eat, etc. We took them everywhere with us (even on vacations and family functions). It’s hard to describe unless you’ve ever had a bird, but most bird owners who have cultivated a relationship with their feathered friends will tell you that the bond is indescribable and unlike any other relationship. The best way I can describe it is “a small child with wings”. We have no doubt that our Heavenly Father sent her and her mate to us to show us how to enjoy the simple things in life, how to be a better couple and how to walk in the light. She brought us unbelievable joy and hapiness – and at her passing, unbelievable pain.

Beginning in March of this year, she started exhibiting signs of illness. I took her to the vet as soon as I saw her signs flare up. The vet who examined her gave her a clean bill of health. Even so, I did not put my faith in the vet (human) and decided to take it a step further and ordered further tests to be done – just to make sure. All additional tests (even though they were described as unnecessary) came back normal. We started annointing her with Holy Oil – just to be safe.

Fast forward to June 12, 2009: My poor girl’s organs started shutting down one, by one (first her feet, then her wings and then she simply passed right before my eyes). I did everything I could to save her (I even took her to the emergency vet clinic and ran additional tests and x-rays --which turned up nothing). However, she still passed away.

This was the saddest day of our lives. The pain has been unbearable. Watching her soul mate over the last few days stop singing, barely eating makes the pain even more excruciating.

What’s sadder is that both me and my wife cannot understand why her life was cut short at such a young age. Why did our Heavenly Father allow this to happen to such an innocent creature? Why did he permit her to suffer the way she sufferred? Why is her soul mate now left all alone?

I believe she is in Heaven. I base this on the following scripture:

ECCLESIASTES 3:19-20 Man’s fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath, man has no advantage over the animal. … All go to the same place; all come from dust and to dust all return.

LUKE 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’"

Furthermore, Pope John Paul II said the following:
“No human being can be justified in claiming absolute ownership of animals for the simple reason that God alone owns creation. Animals do not simply exist for us nor belong to us. They exist primarily for God and belong to God. The whole work of creation belongs to the plan of salvation,” “The mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things” Through the act of creation of the world, and especially of man, the plan of salvation begins to be realized. Pope John Paul II loved all animals, being the first pope to proclaim that “the animals possess a soul and men must love and feel solidarity with our smaller brethren”, and that animals are “fruit of the creative action of the Holy Spirit and merit respect” and are “as near to God as men are”.

Although we “know” she’s in heaven, we have prayed to our Lord and Savior and asked him to let us see her one more time (in afterlife form) so that we may rest in the comfort of knowing she is ok and still around for us to reunite with in the future. We have a tremendous amount of guilt that we did NOT do enough to protect her from her illness. We want to make sure she has forgiven us if we failed her in any way.

There are at least 3 instances in the Bible where the Lord raised the dead (brought them back to existance on Earth). We are not asking the Lord to do that in this instance (unless it is his wish), but all we are asking is that he let us see her glorious face just once more to make sure she made it over safe and well. We would all (3) like to see her (even if it is just for a few minutes) – so that our hearts and souls are comforted. We miss her terribly and have not figured how we are going to move forward without her in our present day lives.

We kindly ask that you pray for us so that we may have peace and we in return will pray for you.

Thank you

You were obviously very much in love with your pet and I know that it brought you great joy. May you be sustained through His Grace. Amen.

Praying.

Thank you.

God Bless.

Lord, this couple loved their pet parakeet so much. They are afraid that their parakeet might now be upset with them. Please let this couple know that their pet loved them very much also and wouldn’t want them to be unhappy or to worry about such a thing. You give and you take away, blessed be Your Name. Maybe a new parakeet for the other living parakeet will teach everyone in that household how to let go and to love all over again - to lose and to start over again - a valuable lesson. Maybe this couple could unite their suffering to Jesus’ sufferings and offer it up for the salvation of souls - for the Kingdom, so that a great good can come out of this loss for them. Amen.

Sorry to hear of your loss. There are several animal lovers groups under the group section of the forums. A couple that I belong to are Birds, Butterflies, & Beasts and CA Pet Lovers. Maybe you can find some comfort there also

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus
Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the
Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius
Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell; the third day He
rose again from the dead; He ascended
into heaven, is seated at the right hand of
God the Father Almighty; from thence He
shall come to judge the living and the
dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the
Holy Catholic Church, the communion of
Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the
resurrection of the body, and life
everlasting. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.