First Presidential Debate 9/26/16 Thread

The Democratic nominee, who is 5-foot-4, has apparently enlisted the help of a raised podium for the first presidential debate against Donald Trump, who is 6-foot-3, Monday night, photos of the two podiums show.

According to WABC’s Rita Cosby, one of the two podiums inside the debate hall at Hofstra University, in Hempstead, N.Y., is larger than the other.

It is believed that the larger one was built at Clinton’s request to make her appear taller than she is.

“Clinton is 5’4" and Trump 6’2" and her team wanted the podium modified or a box added so she won’t look short next to Trump,” Cosby said in an email.

Picture here:
assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2805842.1474834619!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_1200/podium26n-4-web.jpg

nydailynews.com/news/politics/clinton-debate-podium-larger-trump-report-article-1.2805846

I don’t ever remember that happening before.

Although I would think the larger one would be for Trump who would look to be the same proportion to the podium as Clinton to hers.

In any case I think it is silly. You are who you are.

Won’t a raised podium still make her look short? It looks wider if anything.

Are HRC and Merkel around the same height? Maybe she can give Hillary some tips!

Is she going to stand on a box? It would be a shame if all we could see over the podium were her eyes. :whacky:

I guess the height difference is such that they won’t look right on the tv /or computer screen. So they need to adjust.

:slight_smile:

Many podiums adjust for height. However I have never seen them custom made like this for a political debate. I believe this is a historic first and will be remembered.

A little history: Lincoln was very slim and tall. Douglas was very short and chubby. They didn’t use podiums at all in probably the most famous of all political debates. Most people think Douglas won or did very well in the debates. No one cared he was short.

That is so petty and small of her. (No pun intended. ;))
She must be running scared to worry about how she will look that way.

Who will help her up onto her soapbox? :smiley:

I think the larger podium is just going to look odd. It’s all about camera angles, anyway.

Even though I am supporting Trump in all this, I will say I think it’s terrible that they are not allowing Hillary to have a stool to sit on for a few minute every now and then. Can’t put it into words, but I find it a bit cruel not to provide this for her if she does need it. Give her a seat, and give Trump a seat to make things fair. What’s the big deal? Neither has to sit if they don’t want to - but it’s there if need be.

I wonder if Hillary used a modified podium during the primaries while debating Bernie (who is 6 feet tall)?

Probably because it is a debate.

They seem to be about the same height, which is about 5’5 or 5’6.

Like two peas in a pod!

I don’t think it’s petty at all, to want to go into a formal debate with an even visual impression. And scared? I doubt it. Prepared, more like it. Secretary Clinton, with all her excellent background and knowledge and experience, will be on stage with someone who is way in over his head. He cannot speak in complete sentences. It will be a very uneven debate, and not because of Mrs Clinton’s height.

From Mr Trump…

you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right — who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger

July 21, 2015

Maybe Trump’s smaller podium is to make his hands look bigger.

If I was, say, going to collapse and fall, I would want to do it from a lower height.

If she needs it, maybe she shouldn’t even be there !! God Bless, Memaw

Nonsense. The rules disallow it, IIRC. And you don’t accede to someone’s health concerns by giving their opponent the same opportunity because it may be of no benefit to their opponent.

Reminds me of the controversy with Casey Martin, who sued to be able to use a golf cart on the PGA tour, due to his disability. He argued it presented to competitive advantage, and some proffered that it would be fair if others could use it to. Why is that fair? His competitors don’t need it. He does. Might as well allow people with asthma to use oxygen tanks in the Olympic marathon too.

If Donald or Hillary can’t make it through a 90 minute debate without collapsing from exhaustion or a medical issue, they are not fit to handle the White House.

Are you sure the larger one is for Clinton and not for Trump? A smaller podium would look proportional to a smaller Clinton’s stature, but a larger podium would make her seem even smaller.

If the smaller one is for Trump, he will seem YUGE!!! in comparison to the podium.

I think Clinton wants the smaller one so both of them have podiums that appear proportional to their size.

I’ll admit that I thought the same thing. Perhaps they will have some type of harness to bolt her to the podium or her soapbox will have quick inflate crash pads. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.