First Psalm taught

What do you think is the first Psalm that should be taught to a child?

:harp::harp::harp:

Psalm 118:24

It’s easy, meaningful, and kids love it

In Psalms: the School of Prayer the entire course revolves around Psalm 1. We read through it slowly, unpacking each verse, applying lectio divina to it and the other Psalms. I think Psalm 1 is an excellent basis for context and insight into learning the rest.

The first Bible verse that I learned as a very young child was John 3:16. It served me well, but my mother is a Protestant convert to Catholicism. I am glad to be reminded of this because now I will teach it to my grandson who lives near me and who I take care of frequently.

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, so that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life."

I don’t know if that is the KJV rather than the Catholic Bible version, but that is what I will teach my grandson because I understood it at four years of age - probably because at that point I had been attending mass with my parents for my entire life although according to my parents I thought that the priest was St. John because the Parish was St, John. The priest would greet everyone as they left the church, and I would say to him, “Goodbye, St. John,”. According to my parents, the priest would laugh every time.

I agree with Elizium23.

St. Thomas Aquinas, in his commentary on the Psalms - comments that the entirety of Psalm 1 is the title of all the Psalms.

If a child by a hazard forgets the book, he or she ought not forget the title!

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.