First time receiving on the tongue

Been Catholic for six months always receiving on the hand. Scared of not having my mouth wide enough, scared the Host will drop. Must’ve dropped a lot of food when being fed as a baby lol. I do not trust myself to receive on the tongue well. Any tips

3 Likes

Hey! Put your tongue on your bottom lips. It helps a lot, makes it easier for the priest to put the host on your tongue.

8 Likes

After giving a reverent bow to Our Lord ----when Father says “The Body of Christ” you respond “Amen!” Open your mouth, stick your tongue out far enough for Father to place Our Lord on your tongue and then close your mouth and return to your pew.

4 Likes

If you have ‘dry mouth’ for any reason such as taking medication, bring a small bottle of water with you. Take a drink before going up. The host will stick to a wet tongue.

1 Like

Stick your tongue all the way out while keeping it flat. Yes, all the way out. It is better to have too much of it available than not enough.

8 Likes

Closing your eyes so your head remains still is also a good tip👍. Don’t worry yourself too much about it:)

1 Like

No tips, because I never had a problem with the mechanics of receiving on the tongue.

However, the “why” you feel the need to receive on the tongue is interesting…Why?

I have my hands ready in the event it falls. I have pretty good reflexes.

1 Like

Tilt your head slightly back, open your mouth comfortably wide, extend your tongue out making a flat “landing pad” for Father to place the host on, retract your tongue and close your mouth, return to your pew whilst welcoming Jesus and opening your heart, mind and soul to him.

4 Likes

Fr Z blog - how to receive Communion on the Tongue - contains helpful pictures.

5 Likes

Eons ago when I was an alter boy we used to have a small golden plated tray we would hold out under the priests hand in case of a slip…

They don’t seem to do that anymore…

And another thing (while I am grousing)

How come the priest at the end of the mass just says “Go in peace” instead of the old standard
“Go in peace to love and serve the Lord”

2 Likes

I’m not the OP, but why not? It is a legitimate method of reception, dare I say normative? (Administration in the hand may be common, but ubiquity notwithstanding it still requires permission from the Holy See to the episcopal conference)

Tip:
I am taller than most of the ministers in my parish, which can make administration on the tongue tricky (It is easier to hit a lower target than a higher one). I wouldn’t mind kneeling if we utilized our communion rail, but we do not, so I tend to stoop to the minister’s level when I receive. It may not look particularly dignified, but it is the posture left open to me.

3 Likes

I tend to have “dry mouth” as well. I make an effort to generate enough saliva to make my tongue moist before I receive.

I do not usually receive from the chalice, though I have no theological issue with doing so, nor do I have an issue of potential desecration of the Eucharist. It’s just a personal preference. I also do not want to drink after scores of people — three or four would be OK, but a whole crowd, I’d prefer not to.

I like intinction very much, but it’s rarely performed these days.

2 Likes

As do I when I attend the OF at one of my parishes Masses where there is no Communion Rail and the floor is all one level.

Why wouldn’t one wish to receive on the tongue ?

4 Likes

There is a parish in Fredericksburg VA that still does that. That is where my parents lived before they both died in 2018. Great parish. I have seen that nowhere else.

I don’t as a general rule. I am not opposed, have received that way before, and will again if needed, but it causes me great anxiety and there’s more risk of the host dropping than if it’s laid in my hand.

3 Likes

If I could send a thousand hugs by angels I would. I have struggled for years now, especially when the priest doesn’t have that plate that has a handle on it which is used to catch the sacred host if it drops. (don’t have a clue what it is called). I was thrilled and thanked God when we could finally receive in the hand, it was an answer to prayer. Because so many priests do not have that gadget that can catch a consecrated host, I usually will receive in the hand. I have only started receiving on the tongue for awhile now. Many times I have almost dropped the Lord. Now I will try your suggestion. Thank you !

Have you asked your priest? We still use patens. And Father (or the deacon) still uses the old standard dismissal.

4 Likes

I can understand the concern especially if a paten isn’t used. All the more reason that their use should be utilised more often.

When I receive this way at an OF Mass and there isn’t a server with a paten, then Father positions the ciborium in such a way that it would catch the Blessed Sacrament if it should fall.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.