First Tridentine Mass

I’ve been attending a parish that is located just down the street since July-August and participating in RCIA since September with the intention of joining the Church. I feel so blessed to be on the road to Christ’s Church after finding myself at odds with my previous churches (Many Non-Denoms and an Episcopal). A few weeks back I learned that there is a Mission not too far away from me (15 minutes) that celebrates the Tridentine Mass. Obviously, if I attend, it would be my first EF Mass and I’m a bit confused regarding something. I read that there are two parts to the Mass, the “Mass of the Catechumens” and the “Mass of the Faithful”, would I be obliged to leave after the Mass of the Catechumens as I have not been Confirmed? I have also read warnings on CAF regarding the SSPX and am not quite sure how to tell if this particular mission/parish is in full communion with Rome, if somebody could take a peek at their website and let me know, I would be very thankful.

Here is the website,
holyspiritcatholicmission.org/home.php

As far as I can tell, the mission is 100% in communion with Rome. It is not a SSPX church.

“Mass of the Catechumens” refers to the part of the mass ending around the time of the homily.

“Mass of the Faithful” refers to the part of the mass surrounding the consecration of the Eucharist and all else past that.

No, you don’t have to leave. You just can’t receive communion, though, until you become Catholic.

I looked at the website for the church and checked against the Diocese of Reno website and as YoungTradCath has already said the church is in communion with Rome.

In future, the easiest way to tell if a parish is in communion is to check the diocesan website - they will have a list of the parishes in that diocese.

Good to know! Thanks for the advice on checking the diocesan website, I feel stupid for not thinking of that :shrug: …

The ancient practise was for Catechumens to leave at the conclusion of the Mass of the Catechumens. But that’s not been practised in a very long time!

Just don’t receive as I’m sure you’re aware, pick up the little booklets located at the back of the Church, and follow what everyone else is doing.

This was done at my Newman Center, the Catechumens leaving before the Mass of the Faithful. The act was noticeable b/c there were several students who did so.

I still recall the great joy the day they stayed and were received into the Church. The leaving made a great impression on me, and made the reception even more memorable.

take care,
amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.
– Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.
– San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

MrBibbins,

I attend the mission you are interested in and am also the webmaster for it’s site (that is how I found this message). I am also a new Catholic having completed RCIA in 2009. Let me know if I can be of help to you. Look me up at the 8:30 Mass if you attend.

Howard Duncan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.