Five Ways the World Can End

An interesting read…

How many ways can the world end? We can think of at least five.

But before we get into detail, let’s dismiss two things that won’t cause the demise of the planet.

Global warming is bad for people who live in low-lying coastal areas and at the edges of deserts, but the truth is that Earth been much warmer throughout most of the past 500 million years, and life did just fine.

On the other side of things, a new ice age would end most human habitation of Canada, northern Europe, the northern U.S. and Russia, but the tropics would stay about the same — and there’d be a lot more land to go around in south Florida as sea levels dropped.

YOU DECIDE: How Do You Think the World Will End? …

Entire article here: foxnews.com/story/0,2933,477084,00.html

They seem to have left out the two most likely ones: the bottom of the food chain dying off or a global plague. Or maybe gamma ray burst.

Then again, what I think will probably happen is the sky will rip open like a scroll, the Son of God will descend, and all the elements will be burned up with divine fire.

When you say the bottom of the food chain, do you mean like bees dying off (as has been in the news for some time)? I’ve read here and there that we are in for a worldwide famine very soon, that the Western world will reel from it and even those in parts of the world used to dealing with hunger, want, need, disease and death will be terribly affected too. I guess it will go from devastating for them to even more devastating…

I agree that the Second Coming will be what ends the world as we know it, but since the article is based on secular viewpoints, I didn’t mention that, though it felt a bit strange, considering this is a Catholic forum. :slight_smile:

I’m more concerned about corral reefs, algae blooms, plankton, and other sea-life. I think this problem is much more immediate than anything listed in the article or typically talked about, but it is being largely ignored. If we kill the oceans, we kill all life on this planet.

I agree that the Second Coming will be what ends the world as we know it, but since the article is based on secular viewpoints, I didn’t mention that, though it felt a bit strange, considering this is a Catholic forum. :slight_smile:

Well, it is the secular news forum. :wink:

Ah, I see. You are correct, we see a bit about killing our oceans, but not nearly as much as we hear about other environmental and earth science issues. We’re well on our way to doing just that, so that might be what wipes most of us out before Christ returns to perfect everything.

:smiley:

Funny that they mentioned the Large Hadron Collider possibly causing a black hole that could swallow up the earth. That’s a possibility, but it doesn’t frighten me half as much as it does my mother, who’s acting like the LHC is some kind of Lovecraftian evil. I think it’s just the work of people trying to figure out how the most basic building block of God’s creation really works, and what’s so wrong about that?

How’s this?

Obama basically tells Israel they’re on their own. Israel goes and starts kicking major butt, going all out to destroy Hezbolla and Hamas. Iran, Syria or another anti-semitic power launches nukes at Israel who launches theirs in return. Middle east glows in the dark.

Pakistan, also abandoned by Obama lets Al Queda goad them into a nuclear war with India. That area glows in the dark.

With the Middle east glowing in the dark, gasoline prices go to $100/gallon. This pretty much kills economies around the world. Many countries raise up armies to get oil. Resource wars increase exponentially until nukes get involved.

The earth at this point glows in the dark. Game over.

The relocation of tens of millions of refugees will spark warfare over depleting resources. Even Obama realizes that mass relocation will cause bloodshed.

1. Rosie O’Donnel eats it.

2. The combined total tears of everyone watching Oprah, Little House on the Prairie reruns, and Old Yeller, erode it into nonexistance.

3. Donald Trump sells it to a scrap metal yard. (He does own it doesn’t he.)

4. It’s not really a planet, It’s actually the cue ball in a galactic game of pool.

5. It gets caught in the gap of David Lettermans teeth and is flossed into oblivion.

I know, it’s not all that funny, but it’s the best I can come up with on short notice.:smiley:

But then again…there is only one way the world can/will end. When God wills it to end. Until then nothing can destroy it.

Actually, 5 and 4 are very funny and possible. :eek:

Number 2 is similar to an account in “The Restaurant at the end of the Universe”, the sequel to “the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”: A planet gets used in a game of galactic billiards and gets potted into a black hole.

Some say the world will end in fire,
some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
to know that for destruction ice
is also great and would suffice.

-Robert Frost

I read the book, “The World Without Us,” last summer.

If for some reason, humans disappeared from the face of the earth, the world would come to an end through natural process and end up looking like Mars.

The earth survives, because humans live on it, have no doubt about it.

Jim

??? What ???
Could you develop that thought just a little for me. I’m not following

Too complex for me to get into here.

Read the book if you get a chance.

Its in Audio as well as print format, and is at the public library.

Jim

I haven’t read the book, obviously. However, I did go to his website and found this which I assume he expands somewhat on in the book…
worldwithoutus.com/did_you_know.html

His time-line would indicate that it is what humans have put into the world that would not survive if we were not here… our buildings, our infrastructure etc. The world itself, it seems, will motor on just fine without us… for about 5 billion years. After this it is going to burn up and die even if we are around.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.