Fla. Woman Says Church of Scientology Ripped Her Family Apart

Photographs and memories are all that remain of Sara Goldberg’s relationship with her daughter, Ashley, a situation the mother is blaming on the Church of Scientology.

The Florida resident says she spent 36 years in the church, reaching the top level of spiritual progression. She says the problems began when her son, Nick Lister, developed doubts about the church. He started associating with vocal critics of the church, including Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder, former high-ranking officials who quit and are now condemned by the church as liars and apostates.

“I didn’t like the way they recruited,” Lister said. He also had concerns about the church’s theories about life and the universe. As a result, he said, he was labeled a “suppressive person.”

More…
abcnews.go.com/US/fla-woman-church-scientology-ripped-family/story?id=22938347

I believe strongly in religious freedom, but being raised Jehovah’s Witness, I have absolutely no respect or sympathy for cults and their leaders, they are very very dangerous and should be opposed at all opportunities to do so.

Stay far, far away from Scientology.

Scientology is not a religion. It’s a scam cobbled together by a z-grade hack writer who was just bitter that he had less talent in his entire body than Ray Bradbury (may God bless his soul) routinely discarded in toenail clippings, and so decided he was going to essentially mint his own money with that “dianetics” garbage. And when the FDA and other agencies decided to take a closer look at his claims, he then unilaterally declared it a religion so that they couldn’t touch him.

Read Lawrence Wright’s book Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood & the Prison of Belief.
amazon.com/Going-Clear-Scientology-Hollywood-Vintage/dp/0307745309/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395162316&sr=8-2&keywords=books+on+scientology

Available @ lots of public libraries. Released last year, 2013.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.