Flat earth and traditional catholicism

To be honest, Aristotle talked about the earth being round. And that was…a thousand years before Columbus. So the idea of a round earth has been around a while (no pun intended).

But, seriously, which one of us is going to seriously change the way they live if it was proven that the earth is flat? Like Commenter said, it won’t change the way I live. Murder will still be wrong, your Mother-in-law will still be irritating and Krispy Kreme will still taste delicious. To quote Sherlock Holmes,

“But the Solar System!” I protested.

“What the deuce is it to me?” he interrupted impatiently; “you say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or to my work.”

Pseudoscience involved drawing conclusions based on a few facts, ignoring many other more relevant facts. It was not pseudoscience for some ancient people to believe in the flat earth, because the evidence then was mixed. It is pseudoscience to ignore the evidence since then. Wilbur Voliva, 1870 - 1942, a Protestant evangelist, was perhaps the last prominent religious person to push this theory.

Most pseudoscience today is secular in origin, especially related to the New Age Movement. It flourishes because we are moving into an anti-Reason age; I fear the next step may be a Dark Age. Reason is not the enemy of Christianity; Christianity may be the last defender of Reason.

I know one “trad Catholic” website periodically pushes the idea that maybe, just maybe, the sun does go around the Earth. (Hey, all we’re saying is, let’s be open minded about this). They are willing - no, excited - to challenge the scientific establishment, just as they challenge the Church establishment. They seem to do this whenever their website hits or donations start dropping. The religious Far Left is even more anti-Reason.

Chesterton: “An open mind is really a mark of foolishness, like an open mouth. Mouths and minds were made to shut; they were made to open only in order to shut.” (Illustrated London News. October 10, 1908)

I wish my mother-in-law were still here. I agree with your post, but keep in mind pseudoscience is not harmless. Cable TV thrives on this stuff, and it casts all genuine science in a questionable light. We live in an anti-religious authority climate, that encourages doubt about everything, except the obligation to doubt.

Years ago if you called someone dogmatic, they would say “so what?” Now they would think you are denouncing them. Would you really want Shirley MacLaine in charge of medical research? That may be where we are headed.

The idea that Europeans in Comumbus’ time thought the world was flat is an utter lie. Anyone with even the most basic historical background could tell you that. They knew the world was round. That was never in question. Ancient Greek philosophers knew the world was round. Scripture declares the earth to be round (see Isaiah 40:22).
What was controversial, up until a few centuries ago, was whether the earth revolves around the sun or the sun around the earth.

Saying the earth is flat is right up there with saying the moon is made of cheese… anyone who entertains such thoughts, send me a PM and I’ll be happy to sell you ocean view property in Kansas.

I would think most “traditional Catholics” might be bit insulted by the attempt to associate “traditional Catholics” with the concept of the “flat earth”, as the title of this thread does. Some traditional Catholics, in my experience, can sometimes be a bit “extreme” in their views, but I have never experienced any that are outright . . . hmmm, searching for charitable word here . . . maybe . . . uh . . . “vacuous.”

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_908w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2015/07/30/Foreign/Images/Was8949507.jpg&w=1484

I sometimes wonder what constitutes a “scientist”. I know the term is used vaguely and loosely all the time in so many articles I see. Is it someone with a “bachelor of science”? Lol

Typically a doctorate in their field if a serious research scientist.

A scientist is a person engaging in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge that describes and predicts the natural world. In a more restricted sense, a scientist may refer to an individual who uses the scientific method

Clearly a fabricated image to trick the faithful! Funded by the same insidious organization that fabricates dinosaur bones…

I am tempted to post examples of Trad Catholics on the internet pushing pseudo scientific theories. I would rather not do that, partly because it is unfair to the vast majority of Trad Catholics, but more so, that I do not want to give them free publicity. That is exactly what they crave, even negative publicity.

I believe the earth is a cube. Minecraft was right :upside_down_face:

Ahh, thank you for that. NOW IT ALL MAKES SENSE!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

God cannot be “written all over the flat earth theory,” because anything false is opposed to God, the ultimate Truth.

Yes, because if the earth actually were flat, the cats would have already knocked everything off it :smiley:

The earth is flat only to people with an extremely small world view.

Edit: Forgot for a moment that this was specifically about the traditional Catholic view on the subject. I just finished two years of reading all of St. Augustine that’s available in English, and he made frequent mention of the “round world”.

D

I will ascribe to a flat earth when anyone can take me to the edge of it.

On the other hand, I am aware of the Flat Earth Society, and have met a few of its denizens.

They are closely aligned with the Tin Hat League and are alleged to have an association with the Area 51 Conspiratorialists .

:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

If the world is flat, then how is possible to reach Japan from New York by flying east or west?

And where has the Catholic dogmatically defined a flat earth and where does the Bible specifically indicate flat earth in Genesis?

I’m sorry, but the burden of proof is on you, because you cannot defend your positions.

God Bless

The problem with this line of logical reasoning is that it assumes the other side is trying to reason logically, also. I don’t know anyone on this thread personally, but as a general statement, pseudo-science is similar to pseudo-history (think Holocaust denial) and pseudo-religion (New Age movement).

Logical reasoning doesn’t work with their “position”. It is like the Public Relations cliche, “I don’t care what you say about me as long as you spell my name right”.

A TV network gets big ratings by “proving” aliens have entered our planet.
It does no good to refute them by showing they reached this conclusion by ignoring 90% of the evidence. The network welcomes criticism of them as irresponsible. The same is true when people push pseudoscience on internet forums. Being criticized does not refute their position, it is their position.

No, it’s not going to happen. The Earth is quite round my friend.

If the earth is flat there should be no horizon. Also, we know that the celestial bodies are spherical.

Also, if the earth is flat then it should be daytime for everyone at the same time. Sunrise and sunset happening at different times only makes sense if the Earth is round.

I can’t believe I’m actually defending the fact that the Earth is round. This is actually not an argument I ever thought I’d have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.