Flatulence in Mass

Okay, this is totally serious. Happens quite often too.

Someone cuts the cheese in mass and the smell is so overbearing it is close to nauseating. I’ve seen people move out of the area. I myself get uncomfortable, but don’t want to cause a scene. One time everyone scattered and I was the only one left. Guess who everyone probably blamed.

My point is: Was I right not to move or is it okay to move?
Wouldn’t that cause a distraction to the Mass?
Is it disrespectful to change seats?

This is a genuine question, I’m not here for shock value or popularity but for education.

Personally I would not move and who cares who did it. If you know its not you thats all that matters. I have learned not to breath with my nose when this happens. It is unbearable but it does go away.

When I read this I thought of this elderly man that had attended daily Mass for many years as his health was failing his bowels did also. One Mass as he walked to communion small tirds fell from his pants and the elderly man behind him just picked them up with a kleenex all the way up.
I thought what love and charity some people can have for one another.

Interesting. I do agree as far as smells go - ignore them if you can, after all very few of us have never needed to flatulate in public and we can’t control the smell.

As for the poopy pants :bigyikes: huge hats off to the cleaner :tiphat: It is, however, a public health issue, not just a charity concern. I sincerely hope it was a one-off event and the gentleman concerned and/or his carers have managed to avoid any repeats of the incident.

[quote=LilyM]Interesting. I do agree as far as smells go - ignore them if you can, after all very few of us have never needed to flatulate in public and we can’t control the smell.

As for the poopy pants :bigyikes: huge hats off to the cleaner :tiphat: It is, however, a public health issue, not just a charity concern. I sincerely hope it was a one-off event and the gentleman concerned and/or his carers have managed to avoid any repeats of the incident.
[/quote]

The man died not long after that.

oh dear … I’ll remove my foot from my mouth now and pray for his soul (and mine!)

:gopray2:

When I read this I thought of this elderly man that had attended daily Mass for many years as his health was failing his bowels did also. One Mass as he walked to communion small tirds fell from his pants and the elderly man behind him just picked them up with a kleenex all the way up.
I thought what love and charity some people can have for one another

this brought tears to my eyes. So many people think that serving others has to have huge impact and wonder what good one person can do. What a simple gesture, and yes, was a huge impact to that man’s dignity.

Arlene

I have to say, your Thread line caught my attention.

I have four kids, the youngest is two. Noah, (the two year old) let one fly in church that about rattled the rafters. My four year old then proceeded to say “Daaaaad”.

NOT a comfortable situation. Fortunately, there was no mass evacuation (pardon the pun).

I realize that some people get violently ill over some smells (such as flatulence).

If you are one of those people, or you feel that it has become a distraction for you at Mass, then common sense would tell you to move somewhere else for the remainder of the liturgy.

as the priest held her over the baptismal font to baptize her. it was so loud that the eitire parish (this baptism was during mass) burst out laughing. It was very memorable. The one time my entire parish felt like laughing like HS sophmores during mass. She is five now…I reminder from time to time that she tooted her horn in celbration of being broken from original sin.

confusious says, “man who fart in church, stand in own pew”

my addition to this thread on the weapon of Mass destruction:

The elderly couple were sitting in Mass when the man let go… very strong!!!

He leaned over to his wife and said “Honey, it was a real quiet one, but it was a bad one… what should I do?”

She said, “Honey, what you should do is stop on the way home and get a battery for your hearing aid.”

You can’t hold, what you ain’t got in your hand! :smiley:

[quote=LilyM]Interesting. I do agree as far as smells go - ignore them if you can, after all very few of us have never needed to flatulate in public and we can’t control the smell.

[/quote]

Thank you for sharing that beautiful story. That man (with the Kleenex) was truly his Brothers Keeper.

I love Elderly people.
God Bless

Sometimes people have no option on this bodily function.

When at mass, we can offer up our suffering (the smell) to God for the benefit of all present. This is a valid sacrifice.

If it is going to make you sick, move away for a while.

[quote=SueKrum]confusious says, “man who fart in church, stand in own pew”
[/quote]

:rotfl:

[quote=decn2b]as the priest held her over the baptismal font to baptize her. it was so loud that the eitire parish (this baptism was during mass) burst out laughing. It was very memorable. The one time my entire parish felt like laughing like HS sophmores during mass. She is five now…I reminder from time to time that she tooted her horn in celbration of being broken from original sin.
[/quote]

How funny, my son actually farted in the baptismal water, bubbles coming up and all. No one knew it though but the priest, the godparents, and us.

another meaning to “smells and bells”

It would have been OK to move. If it just happened once, try to ignore it, unless it’s so bad it’s making you gag.

As for the guy with with no control over his bowels…that is a public health concern. He should wear a diaper.

Someone cuts the cheese in mass and the smell is so overbearing it is close to nauseating. I’ve seen people move out of the area. I myself get uncomfortable, but don’t want to cause a scene. One time everyone scattered and I was the only one left. Guess who everyone probably blamed.

I would think that the mature thing to do would be for all those people not to make a scene and just ignore it. I’ve never seen such a thing happen in church and I hope I never would because, quite frankly, that is childish.

Maybe we have become too coy about our bodily functions? They are part of our humanity; a humanity that Jesus shared - and in days when in a hot climate there were no flush toilets etc. He knew all these things too.

“All our weakness He doth know”.

A tissue with oil of lavender/ other essential oil/ on it helps; in past days many would carry a “nosegay” of scented flowers. Hence the name

I am severely allergic to perfumes etc; I stay near a door and make no fuss. Or hear Mass mostly outside/in the porch…

But let us never demean weakness in another; there is no mess that cannot easily be cleaned and disinfected discreetly.

One day, if we are blessed to live long enough, we may well all come to incontinence. Bless that dear man.

Wonderful humour; thank you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.