Florida boy, 8, suspended from school after using finger as imaginary gun

An 8-year-old Florida boy was suspended from school after using his finger as a pretend gun while playing cops and robbers with his friends.

Jordan Bennett was suspended for a day after administrators at Harmony Community School in Harmony, Fla., said the gesture was an act of violence, WFTV.com reported.

His mother, Bonnie, told the station she’s concerned that her son may labeled violent with a suspension now on his academic record.

“He had nothing in his hand. It was a finger gun, a pretend gun,” Bonnie Bennett said. “He didn’t threaten violence. He didn’t utter words that were inappropriate. He made a sound and used his fingers and that was it.”

School district officials told the station its code of conduct prohibits students from playing with invisible guns. Bonnie Bennett believes there are more effective ways the district could have disciplined her son.

Suspended for using an invisible gun? Crazy.

America is becoming such a wussy place.

At least they did take away his finger. Yet.

School district officials told the station its code of conduct prohibits students from playing with invisible guns. Bonnie Bennett believes there are more effective ways the district could have disciplined her son.

Oh well ain’t that nice. A code of conduct which, by the very definition of invisible, renders it impossible for there ever to be a witness to the violation thereof!

There is absolutely no reason a kid needs to "make a noise" and pretend to use his finger as a gun at school. That should be an easily taught rule. I have no problem with it.
Mary..
Play invisible guns and make noises like a gun at home.

Mary, you’ve never been around kids? That surprises me :wink:

I worked as an associate in an elementary school and we had the same rule. Kids don’t like it when another kid points a finger at them and pretends to “make a noise” like a “bang” and they’re “pretend shot at”. Eventually if they’re allowed to do that they end up saying things like I"m going to shoot you or kill you thus the rule. The article posted noted he didn’t SAY ANYTHING just made a noise. That’s the first step.

Who needs it in schools?
Do it at home and pretend to shoot your siblings who may not care for they play the same games. Many kids in my neighborhood used to pick up sticks and pretend they were guns but it was never allowed in schools even when I was younger. (Much younger than today)

Stuff like that can get contagious on a school playground and lead to a pain of kids upset they;ve been shot at even though it’s pretend style.

The USA, where a kid can't be a kid.

People chose the nanny state. The nanny is doing her job, her way, her 'values'.

Quite honestly, if that is truly how you feel, you shouldn’t be anywhere near a school.

Peace

Tim

Maybe we can suspend him from the presidency.

I am very sorry for the poor, suppressed, controlled kids at your school who never got simple freedoms like playing war.

This kind of control is unwarranted, has little to no actual correlation to real-life crime, and only serves to facilitate greater unnecessary power in the hands of the school, and later of the state, as kids who leave that school leave with the mentality that our freedom is not true freedom, and there is nothing to do about it.

The spirit of the USA has been gone a very long time already, and I don’t believe it will be returning.

[quote="Orogeny, post:10, topic:341084"]
Quite honestly, if that is truly how you feel, you shouldn't be anywhere near a school.

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

It was school district policy no guns, or pretending you had a gun even a "pretend" finger gun.
If I had grave disagreements with this one rule I wouldn't work in the school.
I agree with it. Obviously you don't.
Mary.

Most schools have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to guns. Real OR imaginary. I applaud this school for adhering to their policy.

Yes it is possible to take it too far for an elementary school setting, but simple finger gun pointing is by itself an innocent activity. Teachers should step in when it is taken too far, not try to prevent kids from being kids. And yes, maybe some other kid will get slightly annoyed in the process - but that’s life. It starts early, and learning how not to over react when someone finger guns you is an important lesson for the other 8 year olds there.

The kids at my school were better off playing games like war at home. The only parents which were few that had isses with it were the ones that had kids that couldn’t follow rules in general. You have after school, nights and weekends to play war and you will not be damged for life if you can’t at school.

A parent with a problem with this simple rule or a child that cannot follow this simple rule
can search out a private school. Just interview schools and say 'MY KID HAS TO PLAY WAR AT SCHOOL…can they do that here? Maybe a Catholic school would allow war playing and pretend finger guns to not squelch the freedom of children.

There is something you can do about it. Also if it’s that important find a school district where it’s allowed on the playground and move there.

You will be damaged if you get SUSPENDED for playing a war game. You yourself admit it is only a game. So, how do you justify the school giving such severe punishments for games?

Obviously I don’t. I don’t agree with ANY policy as stupid as this one.

I think that any kid who feels bad because they have been shot by an imaginary gun has been abused by a well-meaning adult who told them that they should feel bad by such a thing.

I think playing cops/robbers, cowboys/indians, etc. are good for kids.

I think giving medals, trophies, ribbons, or what ever for participation in an event so that those who don’t win might feel bad is stupid and harmful.

I think that schools should be in the business of teaching, not making sure that self-esteem is protected.

I bet you and I disagree on all those things and probably many, many more.

Peace

Tim

The child knew he couldn’t play pretend guns. Most kids that age can folow that rule.
I suggest the day at home be spent teaching teaching the child they can’t use their finger as a gun at school. Either that or consider a private school like a Catholic school or a Montesorri type school that has different playground rules.

As I said many kids don’t think it’s funny to have a finger pointed at them and a “noise” like a gun. It causes problems and grades can be mixed.

Seriously if a kid can’t follow this simple rule there are far more issues to be concerned about than squeched freedom. Maybe homeschool would be best for a parent that’s going to go ballistic their child got suspended for breaking a rule. Mary.

When children are deprived of the ability to be children, and play clean, safe childrens’ games without being afraid of punishment, there is something wrong with the school. There is no denying that fact, no matter how long you blab on about school policy and “simple rules.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.