Flu / Flu Shots / Vitamin D

Some interesting info on the flu and how to “naturally” protect yourself against it with Vitamin D…(always talk to your doctor before supplementing mega-doses of vitamins! :slight_smile: )

THE FLU
"Most people will not get the flu (only 5-20% come down with it each season, according to the CDC).

Influenza type A and type B are the only types of influenza the vaccine may protect against, and these only account for 15% of all influenza. The other 85% is influenza-like illness most often caused by the same virus that causes colds: rhinovirus.

Influenza does not pose a risk of serious complications to most people who get it."

THE VACCINE
"The flu vaccine (which changes formulations each year) does not prevent the type of flu that the overwhelming majority of Americans get each fall/winter season. The flu vaccine will cut the odds of getting influenza A and B by only 25%. This type of influenza, however, represents less than 15% of all cases, and public health officials cannot forecast how much of the influenza viruses expected in the upcoming flu season will be influenza A and B.

Elderly people may benefit from a flu vaccination in terms of reduced risk of pneumonia, hospitalizations and death, but the supporting studies are not very good. There is no good evidence to show that the benefits outweigh the risks of vaccinating babies and young children against the flu. Healthy people under age 60 years do not benefit from the flu vaccine, in terms of reduced odds of getting the flu, days lost from work, or stopping the spread of influenza. No adverse reactions to the flu vaccine have been identified, though long-term consequences are unknown."

source: medicalconsumers.org/pages/FluVaccineisRarelyEffective.html

THE VACCINE FOR KIDS UNDER TWO
"The Lancet review of all relevant trials published last winter by Dr. Jefferson and colleagues found no evidence to support the CDC position. Asked to summarize the findings of this review, which was published as the 2004/05 flu season was just about over, Dr. Jefferson responded,“Our review showed that influenza vaccines below the age of two have the same effects as placebo. Beyond the age of two, they may be effective in preventing cases of influenza, but we found no evidence that they could prevent serious outcomes (death, hospitalization, pneumonia etc).”

The CDC’s Dr. Bridges conceded that there is, as yet, no proof that flu vaccines will reduce the rate of serious complications in young children. Due to incomplete reporting of adverse reactions to influenza vaccines in clinical trials involving children, safety questions remain unanswered."

source: medicalconsumers.org/pages/SafetyofFlueVaccineinKids.html

THE FLU & VITAMIN D

"A short while later, a group of scientists from UCLA published a remarkable paper in the prestigious journal, Nature. The UCLA group confirmed two other recent studies, showing that a naturally occurring steroid hormone - a hormone most of us take for granted - was, in effect, a potent antibiotic. Instead of directly killing bacteria and viruses, the steroid hormone under question increases the body’s production of a remarkable class of proteins, called antimicrobial peptides. The 200 known antimicrobial peptides directly and rapidly destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus, and play a key role in keeping the lungs free of infection. The steroid hormone that showed these remarkable antibiotic properties was plain old vitamin D.

Could vitamin D explain these three mysteries, mysteries that account for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year? Studies have found the influenza virus is present in the population year-around; why is it a wintertime illness? Even the common cold got its name because it is common in cold weather and rare in the summer. Vitamin D blood levels are at their highest in the summer but reach their lowest levels during the flu and cold season. Could such a simple explanation explain these mysteries?"

source: medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=51913

WOW! Thank you for this information!
I work at a health center and I get the flu shot every year because I have contact with such a large segment of the population when they are usually sick…few people come to my office feeling great, if you know what I mean. BUT, the info you have posted has me wondering if perhaps I need to increase good old vit D instead of more vacine in my system. I have to take daily meds and weekly meds for my RA as it is so if I can avoid sticking more needles in me I would be a happy woman.

the same applies to skin cancer. scientists think one of the reasons for increasing numbers of skin cancers is sunscreen…which stops the production of vitamin D while allowing harmful rays to come through to the skin…
seems like in those of us who don’t use sunscreen, our bodies produce ample Vitamin D which takes up the free radicals sun exposure subjects us to.
intelligent design par excellence.

I was excited to hear about this too - it makes sense. We’re upping our vit d this season too. I’ll keep ya posted on our health! :wink:

Are vitamin d drops for babies prescription only?

This is so fascinating! I find it interesting that one article stated that 20 minutes in the summer sun gives you 20,000 units of Vit. D, while the RDA is only 400 units/day! I wonder why they’re so stingy with it? I have a feeling that if I talk to my OB about taking supplemental Vit. D they will tell me that my prenatal vitamins should take care of it :rolleyes: They told me the same thing when I asked about taking a little extra Vit. C! (but I’m taking it anyway :D)

I checked the baby multivitamin drops, and they list 400 units as 100% of the RDA for infants and kids under 4, which is the same amount that is supposed to be the RDA for a 200 pound man! That I can’t believe. How does this make sense to scientists? Surely they can see that things aren’t adding up here :confused:

For baby vitamin D, I suppose someone could crush an adult tablet and dissolve it in some kind of fluid, or just mix it in with some baby food. Maybe you should cut the pill in half or quarters or whatever dose you need first, and then crush that bit.

here’s a vit d page that gives adequate intake info and info on the max vit d you can take for your age…
ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

be careful when supplementing higher quantities of vit d because it is a fat-soluble vitamin and too much can build up in the system and cause its own problems.

here’s another article about the benefits of vit d and flu prevention:
journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=469543&fulltextType=RV&fileId=S0950268806007175

After much thought, the moderation and administrative staff has decided not to allow solicitation on the forums of people with specific health concerns and/or medical advice. While well-intentioned, it does create potentially serious problems.

The greatest risk involved with unproven therapeutic modalities is their use to mitigate symptomatology that might otherwise cause the individual to seek out a diagnostician and validate the presence or absence of treatable pathology. In effect, by continuing to allow this thread, we are permitting promotion of a therapeutic regimen which is empirically-based, rather than scientifically-based, and which has its own attendant risks.

It will inevitably garner the opinions, pro or con, of persons who are themselves without any qualifications to comment on its validity, endorsing or damning specific commercial regimens. This is why we don’t allow the mental health threads and why this thread ought not to be out there. Medical advice is precisely what is being solicited and offered by the thread’s very nature.

For these reasons, this thread is now closed.

Mane Nobiscum Domine,
Ferdinand Mary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.