Some interesting info on the flu and how to “naturally” protect yourself against it with Vitamin D…(always talk to your doctor before supplementing mega-doses of vitamins! )
"Most people will not get the flu (only 5-20% come down with it each season, according to the CDC).
Influenza type A and type B are the only types of influenza the vaccine may protect against, and these only account for 15% of all influenza. The other 85% is influenza-like illness most often caused by the same virus that causes colds: rhinovirus.
Influenza does not pose a risk of serious complications to most people who get it."
"The flu vaccine (which changes formulations each year) does not prevent the type of flu that the overwhelming majority of Americans get each fall/winter season. The flu vaccine will cut the odds of getting influenza A and B by only 25%. This type of influenza, however, represents less than 15% of all cases, and public health officials cannot forecast how much of the influenza viruses expected in the upcoming flu season will be influenza A and B.
Elderly people may benefit from a flu vaccination in terms of reduced risk of pneumonia, hospitalizations and death, but the supporting studies are not very good. There is no good evidence to show that the benefits outweigh the risks of vaccinating babies and young children against the flu. Healthy people under age 60 years do not benefit from the flu vaccine, in terms of reduced odds of getting the flu, days lost from work, or stopping the spread of influenza. No adverse reactions to the flu vaccine have been identified, though long-term consequences are unknown."
THE VACCINE FOR KIDS UNDER TWO
"The Lancet review of all relevant trials published last winter by Dr. Jefferson and colleagues found no evidence to support the CDC position. Asked to summarize the findings of this review, which was published as the 2004/05 flu season was just about over, Dr. Jefferson responded,“Our review showed that influenza vaccines below the age of two have the same effects as placebo. Beyond the age of two, they may be effective in preventing cases of influenza, but we found no evidence that they could prevent serious outcomes (death, hospitalization, pneumonia etc).”
The CDC’s Dr. Bridges conceded that there is, as yet, no proof that flu vaccines will reduce the rate of serious complications in young children. Due to incomplete reporting of adverse reactions to influenza vaccines in clinical trials involving children, safety questions remain unanswered."
THE FLU & VITAMIN D
"A short while later, a group of scientists from UCLA published a remarkable paper in the prestigious journal, Nature. The UCLA group confirmed two other recent studies, showing that a naturally occurring steroid hormone - a hormone most of us take for granted - was, in effect, a potent antibiotic. Instead of directly killing bacteria and viruses, the steroid hormone under question increases the body’s production of a remarkable class of proteins, called antimicrobial peptides. The 200 known antimicrobial peptides directly and rapidly destroy the cell walls of bacteria, fungi, and viruses, including the influenza virus, and play a key role in keeping the lungs free of infection. The steroid hormone that showed these remarkable antibiotic properties was plain old vitamin D.
Could vitamin D explain these three mysteries, mysteries that account for hundreds of thousands of deaths every year? Studies have found the influenza virus is present in the population year-around; why is it a wintertime illness? Even the common cold got its name because it is common in cold weather and rare in the summer. Vitamin D blood levels are at their highest in the summer but reach their lowest levels during the flu and cold season. Could such a simple explanation explain these mysteries?"