Foes, [Tea Party] fans of immigration crackdown try pocketbook protests

This is my problem with the 'tea party' movement. When some tea party candidate does something off the wall (like D'Annunzio in NC) folks say he's not really part of the tea party. Then, the keynote speaker at the Tea Party convention endorses one candidate in Idaho and 'Tea Party Boise' endorses a different candidate.

The tea party people say they are unaffiliated and just for lower taxes and smaller government. What does that have to do with immigration?

"Among the demonstrations is a new "BUYcott Arizona" Web site advising visitors to boycott the boycotters and support Arizona-based businesses.

Heeding the call, members of the tea party in Illinois planned the June12 "Stand with AZ" rally and march to an outlet of the ice cream chain in Naperville. And in case of confusion, party members also sent out an e-mail with tips on where to shop and eat."

chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-chicagoans-arizona-boycott-20100530,0,6953862.story

So the tea party gets lots of publicity but has no responsibility for a consistent message.

That is not all that surprising. Here in MI, in the last election, the State Democratic Leadership endorsed one canidate (Hillary), but at the county level, there was variation. The Detroit Democrats came out in favor of Obama.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:1, topic:200300"]
So the tea party gets lots of publicity but has no responsibility for a consistent message.

[/quote]

And why should they? As has been explained numerous times, there is no consistency of leadership, so why should there be a consistency in message? You seem to think the Tea Party movement monolithic. It isn't. So don't be surprised when there is a diversity of emphasis, opinion, or endorsements.

It is only monolithic in the eyes of Democrats who just can’t stand it that anybody would take positions contrary to theirs.

It leads to a consistency in opinion. Now, if the Tea Party movement is just about taxes and small government, why is it chiming in on immigration? Maybe its just a conservative movement, despite its claim to include Democrats, Republicans and a bunch of others.

Then, folks are highly indignant when it is stated that there are racist elements in the tea party. Well, if there’s ‘no consistent leadership’, how can those tea party proponents deny such a charge?

Well, I guess it’s about taxes, small government and immigration. :stuck_out_tongue: There are Democrats “and a bunch of others” who support the Arizona law. When I lived in California, anti-illegal immigration laws always passed with a strong majority, despite the overwhelming majority Democratic demographics.

[quote=Beau Ouiville]Then, folks are highly indignant when it is stated that there are racist elements in the tea party. Well, if there’s ‘no consistent leadership’, how can those tea party proponents deny such a charge?
[/quote]

Sure, why wouldn’t we be indignant? When Bill Maher makes racist comments, or is identified as being for animals having the same rights as humans (not sure if he’s really for this, but a poster stated such), Democrats protest that he’s not representative of the party’s or “liberal” views.

Or, are you saying that I can’t find any Democratic Party keynote speaker, or a group of Democrats who are doing/saying something that is not part of the platform and not something you agree with? You all speak with one voice…everyone in agreement?

[quote="rlg94086, post:6, topic:200300"]

Or, are you saying that I can't find any Democratic Party keynote speaker, or a group of Democrats who are doing/saying something that is not part of the platform and not something you agree with? You all speak with one voice...everyone in agreement?

[/quote]

Well, if you talk about the Democrats, there is a national party and a leader of the DNC. He or she could say what the Democrats were about. Then, he or she could also say which Democrats are endorsed in local contests.

But the tea party folks claim all the winners who say they are allied to the tea party and deny those nutty folks who claim tea party allegiance.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:7, topic:200300"]
Well, if you talk about the Democrats, there is a national party and a leader of the DNC. He or she could say what the Democrats were about. Then, he or she could also say which Democrats are endorsed in local contests.

But the tea party folks claim all the winners who say they are allied to the tea party and deny those nutty folks who claim tea party allegiance.

[/quote]

Right...because the Tea Party is not an organized party - it is a grassroots movement. I realize this frustrates you, but I guess you will just have to get over it. :shrug:

Do you really believe that no nutty folks have been endorsed by the Democratic Party.

[quote="rlg94086, post:8, topic:200300"]
Right...because the Tea Party is not an organized party - it is a grassroots movement. I realize this frustrates you, but I guess you will just have to get over it.

[/quote]

So why don't the tea party folks get over it when the nuts among their numbers are outlined?

That's different, I guess. They are not an organized party.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:9, topic:200300"]
So why don't the tea party folks get over it when the nuts among their numbers are outlined?

That's different, I guess. They are not an organized party.

[/quote]

I don't know? Why don't Democratic Party members get over it when the nuts among their numbers are outlined? They are an organized party!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.