Follow-Up: May I receive the eucharist at an Episcopal Church?

This is a follow up to forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=337714

I’ve been an organist at an Episcopal church for the past year or so and I just became Catholic this Easter.

Is it best to continue to take the invalid communion (not in substitution for a valid Catholic Eucharist which I receive later each Sunday evening) and pray for Spiritual Communion, or to stop suddenly and be prepared to answer questions of the inquisitive Episcopalian parishioners?

Jonathan

P.S. I’m not quite sure, but I think that Episcopalians don’t teach Transubstantiation, only that Christ is spiritually (not physically) present in the bread and wine. And Catholics believe that because Anglican orders are invalid, Christ isn’t physically present in Episcopal Eucharist. So since Episcopalians and Catholics seem to agree that Christ isn’t physically present in the elements, would my actions still be seen as giving assent to what they believe?

Dear Jonathan,

Some Anglicans believe that Christ is present only spiritually. Some believe that He is present physically. And some believe that He is present only symbolically. If you are now a Catholic, then you don’t participate in an invalid eucharist however it is understood. To do so is to give a counter witness to what you now believe. It is also a serious sin. You are now a Catholic; stand for what you believe and let the chips fall where they may! The Lord will give you the strength you need if you ask Him. You are in our prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.