Follow up: Why do you believe in the Real Presence?

My previous survey was very encourging, but now a bit of a deeper question. *If *you really believe in the Real Presence, Why? When in your life did you know that the bread and wine becomes the Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity of Jesus Christ? :hmmm:

It is a combination of several things:

1. The Church has infallibly defined the Real Presence;
  2. The Real Presence can be deduced from the Last Supper narqatives, the Bread of Life discourse in John 6; other New Testament writings; and in the writings of the Church Fathers;
  3. Faith.

Because it’s Ture. Plain and Simple, Cut and Dry, Black and White, Straight and to the Point, It is True. And no amout of nay-sayers will change it. Boy, We sure do have a Wonderful God don’t we!!

In addition to the Church’s teachings and the Bible discourses already mentioned, I believe in the Real Presence because so many early Christians were martyred because of this teaching. Not infrequently, the early Christians were accused of cannibalism, which clearly indicates their own belief in the Real Presence.

For one to lay down one’s life in defence of the Eucharist is a most powerful testimony to the Real Presence.

Ave Verum Corpus!

I struggled with belief in Jesus truly present in the Eucharist for several years. There were several things that led me to truly believe:

1. A program by Kimberly Hahn on our Catholic radio station where she related her struggle with the Holy Eucharist before her conversion. One thing that got her to thinking was the fact that demons always recognized Jesus in the gospels. In the same way, those who wish to desecrate Our Lord’s body only do so through consecrated hosts in the Catholic church. They don’t break into non-denominational or protestant churches because they know Jesus isn’t truly present there.

2. This led me to read Scott & Kimberley Hahn’s Rome Sweet Home book and listen to Scott’s tape on the the Fourth Cup. The biblical typology (foreshadowing) of all that the Messiah would have to fulfill is so fascinating, and Scott’s explanation of the Passover meal and the Paschal meal at Mass all really made sense to me.

3. Eucharistic Adoration. I began this before I was truly convinced. I knew Holy Communion was something special, but after spending time before Jesus in Eucharistic Adoration, He gave me the faith and understanding to know without a doubt that He is truly present there!

Now, through this great gift, I am embracing our Holy Mother Church and all Her teachings because I know without doubt we have the Truth, which is Jesus Himself! Thank you, my sweet Lord Jesus! Thank you Mother Mary for your constant prayer and intercession! Thank you to all those who pray daily for more to believe in the Holy Eucharist!

Like Jesus said to Thomas “you believe because you have seen, Blessed are those that have not seen and yet believe”

To believe we need faith.

I believe it because Jesus said it.

Mostly because the Bible tells me so. Christ said the bread was His body and the wine was His blood.

It was by God’s word alone that all things were created. Since Jesus is God (the Son) His word has the same power.

He said it, it was done.

I believe Jesus meant what He said, and the Catholic Church does as well.

Has anyone of you had problems in believing in the true presence in the Eucharist even after reading Bible verses, listening to tapes, reading books etc.?

I sometimes struggle with my belief in the true presence just because I didn’t receive proper Catholic formation. It’s really frustrating at times. I’m a cradle Catholic, and it is only recently (recently being 3 - 4 years) where I started taking Catholicism seriously, learning more about the Church and its teachings. I’ve listened to Scott Hahn’s “Fourth Cup” and read various books/articles about the Eucharist, talked to a priest about struggles with my beliefs, etc.

Does anyone else have more suggestions? Like I said, it’s very frustrating at times :frowning:

[quote=Strider]I believe it because Jesus said it.
[/quote]

Same here. Jesus said it. I beleive it.

[quote=Chrismasfetus]Has anyone of you had problems in believing in the true presence in the Eucharist even after reading Bible verses, listening to tapes, reading books etc.?

I sometimes struggle with my belief in the true presence just because I didn’t receive proper Catholic formation. It’s really frustrating at times. I’m a cradle Catholic, and it is only recently (recently being 3 - 4 years) where I started taking Catholicism seriously, learning more about the Church and its teachings. I’ve listened to Scott Hahn’s “Fourth Cup” and read various books/articles about the Eucharist, talked to a priest about struggles with my beliefs, etc.

Does anyone else have more suggestions? Like I said, it’s very frustrating at times :frowning:
[/quote]

You aren’t alone in this struggle of faith, there are well documented cases of Eucharistic Miracles. For some no evidence is neccessary, for others further evidence is asked, no-matter what they see.
therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

dsanford.com/miraclehost/hostvideo.wmv

An evangelical of 27 years’ standing (though with knowledge of Catholicism), I read ‘The Belief of Catholics’ by Ronald Knox, and decided to pop into my local Catholic church to have a look around. Unknown to me, they were having their weekly Exposition. I went in, knelt down, and felt as though I was being hit very hard on the head with a mallet; I knew it was our Lord in that monstrance. I came out after about quarter of an hour knowing I had to become a Catholic. Since then, I’ve read Scripture and its interpretation by the Magisterium, and it’s convincing: but I confess that those fifteen minutes were what kindled my total belief.

Sue

I belive it…because Jesus said it:yup: … (John: 6 is very clear)
For thoes who have trouble with the “real presence”…read The Lamb’s Supper by Scott Hahn or listen to the CD “Mass Explained” by Father Larry Richards, both are excellent!

I believe I can believe in the Real Presence but please explain more of this to me.

blessings,
Nicole

1- Jesus Christ said so
2- It is clear from Scripture
3- It is clearly what those directly taught by the Apostles such as Ignatius, Clement, Polycarp, Justin, etc. believed and wrote.
4- It has been infallibly defined by the Church Councils
. . . . I could go on for a long time with this. There is really no doubt.

Beacsue Jesus said so. He said it directly enough and often enough that it would be folly to doubt the matter.

Jesus was not stupid or delusional. If he said He was the Bread of Life, and directed me to eat that bread, who am I to decide He was speaking figuratively?

I love Eucahristic miracles, but even without them, I have faith that I am really welcoming Jesus in the Holy Sacrament.

I believe in the real presence because:

1.) If it were just a symbol, then surely it wouldn’t be a big deal if you weren’t as worthy to receive as you should be. The bible says “whoever eats and drinks the body and blood of the Lord in an unworthy mannor eats and drinks damnation on himself”.

2.) The early Church fathers (especially St. Ignatius of Antioch) made it very clear that the Eucharist is truly the body and blood of Christ.

3.) Because the teaching of the Eucharist was when most of Jesus’ disciples couldn’t handle it anymore. They couldn’t believe, so they left, and Jesus didn’t stop them.

4.) Because all the saints that I can think of had a strong devotion to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament.

5.) Because the doctrine of the real presence has withstood the test of time.

Michael

O Sacrament Most Holy, O Sacrament Divine, All Praise and All Thanksgiving be every moment Thine!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.