Following after God's Law....Not man's law

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Luke 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.

Mark 7:8,9 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

1 Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

You have started several threads today where you have quoted scripture, without posing any type of question.

Is there a point to this? Are you going somewhere with all of these threads?

As someone pointed out on another thread, there is a subforum here at CAF for scripture discussions.

Maybe your posts would make more sense there? :shrug:

Is it something wrong with posting scripture.

no i believe he is stating you are in the wrong forum is all:shrug:

Yup, the Jews did those things. Interestingly enough, Jesus still recognized the high priest as God’s representative on earth, and Herod’s Temple, as His Father’s House. So, the first thing we see is that even if God’s worship should be corrupted through traditions of men, it did not warrant that one separate themselves from those who governed God’s House as established by Moses.

There seems to be no precedent for abandoning an ecclesiastical institution that has carried on continuous ordinations according to the law of God, even if the office holders themselves be corrupt. But furthermore, the Catholic Church teaches that we should reject “traditions of men”. The Church does not recommend any non-Apostolic practices that supercede God’s moral law.

The non-Catholic assumption is that by condemning traditions of men, Christ was condemning all tradition. This simply isn’t so, for an Apostle of Christ taught in Scripture to adhere to the tradition he gave, whether written or not: “Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.” (2 Thess 2:15)

It woulod be entirely in order to plea that what Catholics call Apostolic Tradition is not Apostolic at all. But you would have to examine some particular dogma to do that. Do you see why Catholics are not moved to trash all tradition because Christ condemned one kind of Tradition? It is the same with philosophy. St. Paul warned against false philosophy. Here is Paul’s partial condemnation of philosophy…note the qualification: “Beware lest any man cheat you by philosophy, and vain deceit; according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ…” (Col. 2:8). Only worldly, vain, deceitful philosophy is condemned.

No, but Catholics know Scripture very well. Why would we need you to write out the Bible piecemeal? Why don’t you post this on a protestant board. They need all the help they can get. Their manmade interpretations can be downright dangerous to their souls. We Catholics already have the full truth.

I essentially agree with you Dirk, but I must say it seems harsh and maybe a bit judgemental. I asked TS in a pvt message what his purpose and motivation might be for these series of posts. He was not explicit beyond his desire to spread the word. I can’t fault him for that.

I must say though that I feel blessed to have the rich and long tradition of the Catholic Church’s interpretation of scripture as a resource. I can’t imagine how I could have the depth and fullness of a realtionship with God without it. Please, let us not be divided along doctrinal differences. Let us instead focus and depend on our unity in Christ.

I think I understand where you are coming from. It’s just that I have been on this board a loooog time & anytime I see something other that “Catholic” in the religon line of the profile I get a little defencive. The vast majority that I have ran into are just troublemakers. They post things here just to stir up some mess. They do things that I would NEVER do if I were a guest on a protastant board.

I was on this board before under another name. I was off for so long I forgot my ID & password. Then I lost my old e-mail address due to other cercumstances so I could not retreve anything. Things have gotten a teeny tiny itty bit better since then, but I utilize the ignore feature a lot. I am not here to give any quarter to my faith. I put up with protastants as long as they behave themselves. I do not want them preaching to me & I know how to read the Bible.

I saw potentonal in the origional post for cannon fodder despite what he told you in privite.

The Catholic Church has the whole trut. Protastants are correct only in so far as they agree with the Church. If they disagree then they need to sit back & learn, not try to teach.

BTW Big Ro, I would like to hear back from you.

There is nothing wrong with quoting scripture, Catholics are quite familiar with scripture(as has been pointed out).

This section of the forums “Non-Catholic Religions” is for comparing the differences between the Catholic Church, and others.

Also, a forum or thread is for discussion. Just posting scripture is not discussing it, unless you pose a question of some sort.

That is why I thought your threads where you have just posted scripture, might be better suited for the “scripture” forum.

Although, I am in agreement with Dirk. I am more or less waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak.

I don’t think that it is fair for you to get defensive with me and I am new to this forum. I have yet to start an argument. I post nothing but scripture from the Bible. When someone starts to attack me, I back away from it because arguing is not what I am here for. I am strictly here to spread my faith. I do it here the same way I do it on other websites. I am sorry if someone came to this forum strictly to attack catholics. That is pure ignorance and that is not of God. That is of satan himself.

I respect catholics as well as other denominations and you don’t have to worry about me causing problems.

You stated that you get defensive when you see something other than catholic in the religion line, right? I only stated that I am a Christian and nothing else. Maybe you should see who I really am through my post, instead of my religion line. There are a lot of good non-catholics who truly love God and who isn’t ignorant in His Word or in regular conversation.

Please do not judge me because of “troublemakers” We could possibly learn from each, you never know. The only way to know is if yo give me a chance.

I honestly did not know that. I found this website by accident and when I started to read some of the posts, I was happy to see people who could have an intelligent conversation about their faith. So I immediately joined and did not look around.

From now on, I will try to change up my post.

do not feel unwelcome here at caf, you are welcome to post all you want here and we are glad to have you! scripture discussions have a specific forum thats all we are suggesting but all in all welcome!!:thumbsup:

You could use natural reason to follow G-d’s Law(s).

I normally do not read or make long posts. The fact I read your (what I think is) long post & am making a detailed response, hopefully shows I want to get to know you & not just fluff you off.
I inserted the capitol letters into your post to make my reply easer to follow. I clipped things I thought irrelevant to my reply.

A ) OK, touché, you got me :wink: You are right. Sorry :blush: Please accept my apologies. And that is not sarcasm & it is not me being rhetorical. I mean that.

B) Why bother? What is the point? Why not post something from Sacred Scripture & say “here is what I think it means. What do you folks think?” THEN we might have some dialog and maybe even some fun.

C) Why? We are already Christian. We Catholics have the full & complete teaching from Christ Himself as handed down from the Apostles. No one else does :tsktsk: If you want to help the lost why not go to a buddest, mormon, atheist, or pagan board? This is not mission territory. We are already Christians. I find someone who is not Catholic, trying to spread their faith on this board as offensive. If I want a protestant opinion I’ll go to a protestant board. And I will not try to spread Catholic teaching while I am there. Like protestants do when they come here.

D) Thank you. There have been many & there are still many. I have over 100 on my “ignore” list.

E) Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind if I read a post of yours that I, at first, take that way. Typing can be sterile. I will try to read the best into it.

F) If you want to be a Christian that follows Christ’s teachings & not just a Christian in name only then start going to a Catholic parish & start RCIA classes when they become available. Calling oneself Christian & not being Catholic is to say “I like the title, but not the faith or work that goes with it.”

G) Touché. You are right :wink: I shouldn’t. Sorry.

H) Again, touché. I will :flowers:

Having a conversation means that you, as the OP must ask a question or make a statement & then request opinions. By your own admission you have done neither.
Hence no Conversational mode comes into being by your just posting Scripture. Even when taken in the context the Scripture you present them clearly suggest a Protestant mindset…

So ask away, make a point or an observation & then actively engage.
Don’t runaway.

Nothing wrong with that. But, at least please tell us what do you want, or what purpose you have in mind for posting that. So, we can properly respond to you.

This is a discussion forum. This means that you should formulate a discussion topic prior to initiating a new post. This could be in the form of a statement, or a question.

Just posting words is not condusive to good discussion as there is no “topic”.

As a reminder to ALL: Do NOT just post quotes from ANYWHERE without following with some question or commentary.

Thank you and God bless-

Rachel

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.