Following The Catholic Church

I often times here from protestants that they understand that there are true Christians in the Catholic Church, however, I’ve always felt like this is an evasive way of saying “In spite of the church” I could be wrong…

However, to my protestant brothers and sisters…

If a Catholic followed all the Catholic teachings to the letter, is he saved, or will his following the Catholic church completely condemn him?

In Christ

oh, oops… i answered and then realized that you were targeting this for prots.

Hmm… ok so… i figured I would get explanations…

If you think the answer is NO (or yes) please give details. I’m not after just poll responses, but your reasoning behind it.

I shoulda clarified… my fault

In Christ

You are saved in spite of your church.

So I would respond “follow all of the church’s may or may not result in you being saved.”.

God Bless

The only guarantee that we Christians have is the Word of God -
Matt 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My Words shall not pass away (also quoted by Mark and Luke).
Pray to the Holy Spirit to explain the Book of Revelations and Matt Chap 24. Read up on the writings and findings of eschatology (end times teaching).

Good luck and God bless.

to the OP: Sorry about taking us down this bunny trail… :blush:

Amen! I love that passage! Question:Is Jesus talking about JUST the written Word? He is the Word Incarnate, and he orally taught His disciples many things that may or may not have been written down. In fact, we have evidence in Scripture that not all of what was taught by Christ to the apostles was written down.

2 Thess. 2:15 - So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

2 Thess. 3:6 Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

As an aside: My Bible doesn’t have a Book of Revelations, it has the Book of Revelation. Little pet peeve of mine, sorry. :cool:

The Bible Christian Society has an excellent CD or MP3 download called “The Rapture and the Bible” that you can get for FREE.
I encourage you to give it a listen.

Blessings to you also.

Neither choice works.

An aetheist could follow all the teachings of the Church, but without grace and faith still not be saved, though I am not saying that they would not be saved.

Believing that we are saved by “following teachings” is works-based salvation, so believing that you are saved by following all the teachings is by definition not following all the teachings since a (THE?) major teaching of the Church is that we are saved by grace from which the works will flow.

However to believe that one could follow all the teachings of the Church and then be automatically condemned for following them, if following them is what their faith in God called them to, also makes no sense.

And of course their is the issue that not all teachings of the Church have the same weight. And some teachings (not doctrine) have changed through the years as the Church has come to fuller understanding.

Perhaps a clearer phrasing of what the question is looking for might be in order?

This probably would be better in the Non-Catholic Religions forum.

:doh2:

Ok… I figured everyone would know I was also talking about having faith as well… Fine…

Faith is involved as well… I know it isn’t a work based salvation. Thats not what i was even remotely hinting at

Try not to take everything so literal :wink:

The Question to Protestants (and yes it belongs in here, not non-catholic) is do you think that a person of faith, that follows the CC to the letter is saved or condemned…

Not works based…

Im driving at finding out if there is an underlying issue with protestants that says, yes, a catholic can be saved… But not if you follow Christ the way the CC teaches…

In Christ

Ok. Understood.

There are so many here with “agendas” that one learns to be careful in how they answer questions lest they find themselves accused of something based on unfounded assumptions.

And since I’m Catholic, I guess it wasn’t my opinion you were after anyway.

Please disregard this post. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.