Foot Washing/Holy thursday

Our church does. I don’t know why our past and current pastors have allowed this, as I have read that it is stated in the rubrics that only men can have their feet washed on Holy Thursday.

There are definitely enough men present. And is the washing of the feet required or can a priest omit it? Just wondering what would happen if there were not enough men present. My guess is there would be no shortage of women who would flock forward to take their place.

in my last parish they did. Even the kids’! But then again, it was a military chapel and Father was quite fussy about it being called a parish. He said it wasn#t. Well, different story. But I could’ve sworn he said something once about it being alright for women to also get their feet washed. Don’t know if my new parish does it at all, being here in Germany and so on. I might not be here Holy Thursday, so I might not find out until next year.

Peace!

Here is the USCCB statement on washing the feet of both men and women. The practice has nothing to do with any “shortage” of men.

I certainly do not want to see a priest- or any man- touching a woman’s bare feet in church!:eek:

One parish I went to, everybody washed each other’s hands instead. Another parish I went to had a group of lay people washing feet around the church for anyone who wanted to participate- there were women washing men’s feet and men washing women’s feet too. I doubt my parish would wash women’s feet. Let’s hope I’m not proven wrong…

WHAT is the big deal?

Is foot fetishism rampant or something? Ridiculous concerns like this cost the Church credibility in my mind. I am aghast with the absurdity of such anxiety over nothing.

No they don’t but at the 7th Day Adventist Church down the road they do. They do it every time they have a communion service.

Yes, we wash both men and women’s feet. My Pastor is usually good about following the Rubrics (in this case they literally say “men”). It seems though that the United States Bishops say that there is nothing wrong with washing womens feet. If it is something serious then the Pope will step in.

I thought it was the apostles themselves whose feet were washed. This to me makes it supportive of men only.

My parish does not wash the feet of women during this ceremony.

[quote=Lux_et_veritas]I thought it was the apostles themselves whose feet were washed. This to me makes it supportive of men only.

[/quote]

I’m with you there, but the Bishops seem to think there’s nothing wrong with washing women’s feet as posted in the link someone provied to the United States Catholic Bishop’s site.

[quote=Psalm45:9]I’m with you there, but the Bishops seem to think there’s nothing wrong with washing women’s feet as posted in the link someone provied to the United States Catholic Bishop’s site.
[/quote]

Hmmm…the Apostles were the followers of Jesus. In the modern Church, the Clergy represents Christ, and the laity are the followers. I suppose this includes women :wink: So I can see the logic behind it, however, many things need to be considered here. Above all, if the Church says don’t do it, don’t friggin do it…far out, if you don’t like what Rome says, well…I’m not gonna say what you should do, maybe pray infront of the Blessed Sacrament…

Also see:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=43248&highlight=washing+women%27s+feet

and

boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/03/19/omalley_to_wash_womens_feet_in_rite/

Marian,

Thank you for the links but that response does not give me much faith in the apologists here at CA. Mr. Blackburn makes it abundantly clear that it is not permitted, but prior to that (1987 to be precise) the USCCB made it clear that it was permited. Now even the conservative Cardinal O’Malley will himself wash women’s feet.

I pray that CA doesn’t go the way of Gerry Matatics; being more Catholic than the Pope.

Even though in many parishes both men and women have their feet washed…it is in my heart and mind to expect to see only a priest washing the feet of men…apostles.

Explore Virginia Stefano

and with all the men around…why is it so difficult to adhere to this?

[quote=paramedicgirl]Our church does. I don’t know why our past and current pastors have allowed this, as I have read that it is stated in the rubrics that only men can have their feet washed on Holy Thursday.

There are definitely enough men present. And is the washing of the feet required or can a priest omit it? Just wondering what would happen if there were not enough men present. My guess is there would be no shortage of women who would flock forward to take their place.
[/quote]

I have never been in a Parish that didnt wash the feet of Women on Holy Thursday. I didnt even know it was an issue???

[quote=Marian Carroll]Also see:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=43248&highlight=washing+women%27s+feet

and

boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/03/19/omalley_to_wash_womens_feet_in_rite/
[/quote]

Ill be-so it is not licit to wash womens feet on Holy Thursday! I Learn somethng new everyday and since the magestrium has spoken it is something i will now willingly accept.

**Washing of Women’s Feet on Holy Thursday?

**Answered by Father Edward McNamara, professor of liturgy at the Regina Apostolorum Pontifical Athenaeum.
****[

](“http://www.ewtn.com/library/Liturgy/ZLITUR26.HTM”)****

I say we should follow the example of the Holy Father. If he only washes the feet of men, then we should do that here in this country.

Ours does.

[quote=Lux_et_veritas]I thought it was the apostles themselves whose feet were washed. This to me makes it supportive of men only.

[/quote]

Does your parish allow women to participate in communion, or do they think that because no women were present at the Last Supper that Jesus did not intend for women to receive His Body and His Blood?

Don’t you think IF there had been women present at the Last Supper that Jesus would have washed their feet too?

[quote=dulcissima]Does your parish allow women to participate in communion, or do they think that because no women were present at the Last Supper that Jesus did not intend for women to receive His Body and His Blood?

Don’t you think IF there had been women present at the Last Supper that Jesus would have washed their feet too?
[/quote]

Do you think Jesus invited only His Apostles for a reason or was it just luck?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.