Foot washing -Huh?

I’ve been asked to get my feet washed next Thursday. This was a bolt from the blue and I accepted as I couldn’t think of an excuse. So what actually happens? Where should I look whilst he is touching my foot? Is it both feet or one foot? Does he wash it with soap? What about sock fluff? Will he or the Deacon do it? When do I take off my shoe?

This is obviously a time to pin my suffering to the Cross and stop obsessing with my vanity but… I’ve got myself in a tizz already and booked a pedicure.

Thoughts, please?

1 Like

Just read that there is kissing involved.
There surely isn’t kissing of the feet involved. How could someone who has dedicated his life to God kiss my (who has failed miserably at Easter, this year) feet.

It makes me feel funny.

0 Likes

That is the whole point. The action mimics Jesus washing the feet of his apostles.
It is an example of “servant leadership”.

2 Likes

John 13:8 - Peter said to him, ‘You shall never wash my feet!’ Jesus answered him, ‘If I do not wash you, you will have no place with me.’

1 Like

That’s kind of the point. Christ himself washed the feet of mortal people, who were sinners like you. And Jesus was obviously incomparably more holy than your priest, who while I’m sure he’s a good man, is also a sinner like you.

3 Likes

If you are not comfortable, simply call the office and decline. It does not make one “Judas” to be uncomfortable.

Every priest/parish tends to have a different way of doing this. The average is one foot, simply warm water and dried with a towel. Some priests will kiss the foot, most don’t.

There will be a coordinator who tells you what to do.

2 Likes

I was privileged to have my feet washed twice on Holy Thursday, two years in a row, in the parish where I was living at the time. We were given full instructions ahead of time, including what kind of sandals to wear. If they haven’t told you already, ask. And on the day, make sure you arrive well ahead of time!

1 Like

Hubby and older son have both done it. Here a bench is brought up in front of the Sanctuary, a bowl is placed underneath, small amount of water is poured from a pitcher, one foot is done, foot is dried with a towel done by the Priest. Father talks to the men as he goes along and he blesses them when done. Very simple very moving. Usually the choir sings while this is done. We only have the men do this. If 12 eligible men can’t be found they have 6.

1 Like

For maximum authenticity, first walk around all day on some dusty dirt roads with just sandals on :+1:

7 Likes

Yeah…I’m currrently rubbing in foot cream and debating nail polish. My husband hasn’t stopped laughing at me and just suggested purple (that feels slightly wrong but ties in with the season).

OK, I think I’ve got this. It’s very out of my comfort zone but there’s obviously a reason why I was asked.

2 Likes

My gnarly old feet with grody toenails are beyond authentic. I won’t let anybody even see them, much less touch them.

3 Likes

LOL!

Tell your husband that the liturgical color for the Holy Thursday “Mass of the Lord’s Supper” is red, so he might need to rethink his nail polish plans for the day… :wink:

3 Likes

In my parish everyone who wants to participate in the footwashing is invited. The parish council and clergy do the washing itself. When you come up an usher directs you to the next open person for the washing. In one particular year I was directed to the pastor and and kind of felt like I was going to die. I knew exactly how Peter felt when Jesus wanted to wash his feet. And the pastor so lovingly washed, dried, and kissed my feet that I was in tears. It was a humbling, moving experience.

0 Likes

Kissing feet? Has that always been done? It’s hard to see what is going on up front when you are in the pews. I never knew that happened.

2 Likes

Yes, a kiss, though without actual contact. It’s something like kissing a bishop’s ring. The priest’s lips approach to within two or three inches from your foot, but no nearer! (In my experience, that is, as I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread.)

1 Like

Sock fluff :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That’s well within asphyxiation range of my feet.

6 Likes

Just remember, the primary meaning is the ceremony of making a man a Jewish priest – Moses washed the feet of Aaron and his sons.

After that, they would wash their own feet before going into Temple duties – that was what the big basin called the Brass Sea was for.

That is why. All the servant leadership stuff is important, but a side issue.

0 Likes

Last year Father asked those of us sitting at the end of the pews by the middle isle to have our feet washed. He made this request about five minutes before Holy Thursday Mass started. When no one volunteered he just counted six on each side from the front row I was the third person on the left side. He washed our feet right at our Pew.

1 Like

I’ve witnessed this on several occasions at my church, but I don’t recall kissing ever being involved. I’ve always seen the one foot approach, which strikes me as a bit odd even when it’s symbolic, because no one would normally just wash one foot!

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.