Foot Washing on Holy Thursday

My wife & I always thought that the Holy Thursday foot washing was for men only because the liturgy was a re-enactment of Jesus establishing the ministerial priesthood. Yet, many parishes include women now because the washing is meant to be a sign that all believers are supposed to help & support each each other. Comments??

You and your wife are correct. But I know what you mean…some do it here ,too.

BTW, there are a number of threads on this…do a search and you’ll see what I mean. (search button is top of page)

This has been causing me distress too. I am a returning catholic after about 25 years of being away, and being my first holy thursday, I am extremely uncomfortable addressing this issue with my priest. I don’t want to become a ‘boat rocker’ so early in my ‘recovery’

My church washed the >hands< of every person in the church — I’m more angry at myself because I didn’t refrain, and as of yet havn’t had the courage to talk about it, along with the removal of holy water and replacing it with rocks…

It is very sad to see priests abandoning the GIRM…

The topic has recently been discussed at length in more than one thread:.

Reference:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=137306
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=143962 forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=137123

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.