Footprints in the Sand (poem)

I have read this poem over and over and ponder what the poem is trying to say to us. Does it mean God is carrying me or you or what is He carrying you? Why are there two prints at times?

When He puts us down do we wonder off, this is my opinion but what does it mean to you? Dessert

[quote=dessert]I have read this poem over and over and ponder what the poem is trying to say to us. Does it mean God is carrying me or you or what is He carrying you? Why are there two prints at times?

When He puts us down do we wonder off, this is my opinion but what does it mean to you? Dessert
[/quote]

When you see 2 sets of foot prints you and Christ are walking side by side. When you only see 1 set, Christ is carrying you along. That’s the meaning of the poem.

This brings to my mind memories of when my kids were little and we took them to the beach. We would carry them because we knew the fun of the water but also the danger there could be. And they wanted to be carried and hung on our neck and sometimes sat on our shoulder and grabbed our hair or my ears. Eventually when over their fears they wanted to be put down. And they would still hang onto my hand for awhile but soon go explore the water, splash kick sand at me throw pebbles in the water start lurking towards the water and looking back like can I ? Of course as a parent I knew what some bad things dangerous things were out there.

When they were in my arms it was my will they were submitting to but when down they had there own free will and even when they still had my hand they could let go, my hand was not a vise. God is always there or near. Dessert

:slight_smile: I’ve been doing a little research on this poem and it took a long time to find the author and she (mary) got some copy rights to it but I think has passed away.

There is a theory it came from a sermon inspired by Charles Spurgeon. My understanding agrees more along with his thinking and I never heard of him but did not look into his sermon much as he wrote a lot.
go to "Footprints "… in the Sand by CH Spurgeon
’Did C.H. Spurgeon inspire “Footprints IN The Sand”? @Pilgrim Publications

Go to http//www.wowzone.com/fprints.htm

hope this works you will see this different versions and…
the new versions
Mark Kittleton :slight_smile: you have to read this or try

hello@wowzone.com

Dessert

I am not overly fond of “Footprints in the Sand”, I consider it pseudo-spiritual pap personally. It is a rather contrived way of saying what for example Job and many of the Davidian Psalms say much better, whilst omitting any mention of faith or Jesus.

Well there is another quotation in the theory that the phrase “What would Jesus do?” has come from this poem.
I’ve heard this for years but now recently our priest is saying it when asking him about a problem.

I like it as to me it means I should always strive to be in Jesus’s arms. dessert

I bought a ring with the poem written on the inside. The outer ring has footprints going all around. I like this ring. I also have one with The Lords Prayer engraved on it.

I love footprints in the sand I can read that poem over and over again. I will leave a link to a image of the poem for you to look at. If you haven’t seen this poem before, you really should take a look and you will love it just as much as we all do

insetdesigns.com/footprints_in_the_sand-1.html

God bless:)

I give a link to a image of FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND and there are more images of the poem and also one of the Lord’s Prayer. Here is the link to the page that links to all the images

insetdesigns.com/footsteps.html

God Bless:)

This is my sister's favorite. I have given it to her in many forms from bracelets to plaques. :)

[quote="dessert, post:1, topic:70431"]
I have read this poem over and over and ponder what the poem is trying to say to us. Does it mean God is carrying me or you or what is He carrying you? Why are there two prints at times?

[/quote]

the poem seems very clear on the meaning, that Christ is always with us. it actually explains the meaning in the poem. Like all poetry it means what the reader or hearer feels. It is a poem a private reflection of one person's experience with Christ's care and loving concern. It is not a deep spiritual message nor is it meant to be, simply a sharing of one person's view.

But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
were you not there for me?"

The lord replied,
"Sand people always ride in single file to hide their numbers."

I just want to say that I think that Footprints in the Sand is the best Poem ever, and hope others will comment to say they love it to.:D

It's my personal favorite poem. Some say it is bad because it doesn't mention Jesus, I disagree, I say it emphasizes the Father's infinite love and faithfulness.

[quote="dessert, post:1, topic:70431"]

[/quote]

My interpretation is that the times when there are two sets of footprints in the sand are normally the happy moments in our lives, and those are the times when Christ walks beside us. The times when there are only one set of footprints in the sand are the rough patches in our lives when we think that we can't possibly go on, and those are the times that Christ carries us, and the one set of footprints is Christ's.

[quote="AlltheRoses, post:14, topic:70431"]
My interpretation is that the times when there are two sets of footprints in the sand are normally the happy moments in our lives, and those are the times when Christ walks beside us. The times when there are only one set of footprints in the sand are the rough patches in our lives when we think that we can't possibly go on, and those are the times that Christ carries us, and the one set of footprints is Christ's.

[/quote]

Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

[quote="lao_tzu, post:11, topic:70431"]
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
were you not there for me?"

The lord replied,
"Sand people always ride in single file to hide their numbers."

[/quote]

:rotfl: I had to fight hard not to laugh as it's kind of quiet in my office right now. :rotfl:

I do like this poem a lot and it comes to mind whenever I am having a hard time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.