For a revert friend who considers leaving the Church again

Please pray for my friend who after a long time away over moral issues, returned to the Church in recent years, but now is upset and feels tempted to leave again. I am keeping this very non-descript out of privacy respect for the friend. God knows who the person is. Pray for me too that I will be guided by the Holy Spirit what to say/not say and do/not do:confused:, in order not to make the problem worse. Thanks and God Bless.

I will pray for your friend also. I left the Catholic Church in 1982 and returned in 2001. In 2003 I dated a woman who was Southern Baptist. I would go to an 8:00 a.m. mass on Sunday and then meet her at her Southern Baptist Church at 9:30 a.m. She would tell me I couldn’t defend my faith many times.I was getting overwhelmed by the fellowship, wealthy people, money, ministries that made our parish look small and I almost left my Catholic Faith. I talked to my parish priest pastor about this and he asked me if I could think it over. I closed my eyes and saw Pope John Paul II and St. Peter’s Basilica. I said to Father I’ll think it over and get back to him. I told my friend I will research on my faith and what I learn will not be liked. I bought two books Church History (Tan Books), This Is the Faith (Tan Books). In two weeks by the grace of God new more about my faith than nearly forty percent of my parish members and the numbers could be much higher. My friend left the Baptist Church to go to Presbyterian Church because her business money friends went there. I broke away from her in 2004. I married a Catholic woman in 2007. Today I have taught 9th grade CCD students for two years and now transferred to help teach RCIA.
We get the welcome home high when we return to the faith and it dries up in short time. then we learn in small steps to deal with the world as witnesses to Christ and I do get my days feeling down and out and my struggles with morality and sinfulness. This is where prayer life,adoration of the Blessed Sacrament,frequent confession (I go about twice a month)comes in toward our relationship with God. This is a very forgotten sacrament because the Catholic Church requres a minimum of once a year confession preferred around Lenten season. This is why you see long communion lines and short confession lines. The Church is not wrong on this, we are wrong as myself as daily sinners in not taking our personal responsibilities toward holiness.This is Satan’s strategy to get ourselves condemned and loads of Catholics are doing this every Sunday at mass. St. Paul tells us to examine our conscience before receiving the Lord in the Eucharist. Those who receive it unworthily(mortal sins not confessed and forgiven through confession) provide a judgement to themselves (sin of sacrilege against first commandment {Catechism of the Catholic Church 2120}). This is why so many of you are sick,ill,infirmed and many of you are dying. Everyday is a conversion. Your friend is experiencing the cross as we all have to. Can you make arrangements to see your parish priest or deacon to further discuss this matter?

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear our prayers. Amen

So many of us go through a crisis of faith at one point in our lives. We also find that we come back to the Catholic faith weeping in sorrow for the things we did when we were apart. Jesus always forgives us. I would encourage your friend to pray the rosary and the chaplet of Divine Mercy.

Even when he doesn’t feel like praying or when he feels unworthy to pray that is when he most needs to pray.

You just need to be there for your friend and show him the love of Christ. Be there to listen when he needs to talk about his feelings.

God Bless you both.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Lord, I pray for 3DOCTOR’s friend and for 3DOCTOR. May their friendship be so strong and effective that 3DOCTOR will always be able to influence his/her friend to remain safe in the bosom of our Holy Church. Come Holy Spirit and fill the heart of 3DOCTOR and give him/her the words to speak to his/her friend whenever his/her friend doubts the faith. Perhaps 3DOCTOR’s friend needs to start praying a great deal more to have a better understanding of his/her faith and a deeper and better relationship with you. Perhaps 3Doctor’s friend has issues that can be resolved by his/her talking with a good priest. Help 3Doctor’s friend to get through this difficult time of doubt. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

3DOCTORS:

I’m also, by the grace of God, a revert. If you search the forums, you’ll find out the miracles God had to do to bring me back, and the people He used. I found out the truth behind the poem “The Hound of Heaven”.

What I’ve discussed is why I left, how a combination of Pride and hurt feelings and feelings of abandonment caused my questioning and failings to become doubts to become despair. How after my father died and I became unemployed, the very people I believed should have helped me deserted me and left me to my fate. After that, not even an Acoustic Tumor and a Spinal Headache (I KNOW you can scream in agony while in coma, because I’ve done it) could cause me to ask for a priest, UNTIL GOD SOFTENED MY HEART.

Let your friend know that you care, and that you’re his FRIEND. Let him know that he matters to you, esp. if he thinks he doesn’t. Listen to him until he’s all talked out - If he says he’s sure you don’t want to hear it, tell him you do, because he probably needs to talk about it… and, then, Ask him what’s going through his mind, heart, and his gut…

Remind your friend that our Lord engraved his name on the Palms of His hands, and that the instruments He used to engrave his name were the Roman nails that were used to nail Him to the cross (Is 49:15-16). Have your friend read Psalm 22, Isaiah 52:13 to 53:12 & Romans 8:28-39. Remind him that our Lord loves him so much that, even if he would have been the only person who would have accepted His free gift of eternal life, He would have gone through EVERYTHING - THE SCOURGING, THE MOCKING, THE HUMILIATION, THE PAIN, AND THE DEATH - JUST FOR HIM.

Our Lord said not to worry about what to say - The Holy Spirit will take care of that. Pray for wisdom, and love and care for your friend. That will help as much, if not more than anything else you can say or do.

Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael

Dear 3DOCTORS, I dedicate my reading of Isaiah 49:15-16, Psalm 22, Isaiah 52:13 to 53:12 & Romans 8:28-39 (as recommended above) to you and your friend. Do read them in sequence. I also prayed a Pater Noster, Ave Maria, Oratio Fatimae and a Gloria Patri for you two.

I’ll pray for your and your friend, may God soften his heart.

Do not despair even if things seem to go wrong, have FAITH and continue to pray for him.

For anything else you may need, we’re here for you. :slight_smile:

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear our prayers. Amen

I am praying for your intentions.

God Bless everyone who prayed – friend has calmed down & we went to a late Mass together yesterday!:thumbsup:

That’s good to know your friend is doing better.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Hi,

Keep praying for my friend, I am concerned because she is still not going to Communion, though she seems to be fine going to Mass. She works a lot and I hope that’s why she hasn’t gone to Confession, but sometimes she gets so emotional that I fear she might be making this harder for herself, creating more internal obstacles.:frowning: Thanks. God Bless.

Baby steps. Remember that God’s Grace has its own speed, and it’s not the one we always want.

I think it’s a good thing that she goes to mass and even somewhat good that she understands enough to not be going to communion. You can’t force her into confession, so pray for her as I will for you both.

Thanks – I tend to be a bit codependent! Pray for me too!

Thanks, I tend to get over-anxious! Pray for me too! :wink:

Praying for you both …

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

God bless you and your friend.
Holy Spirit please inspire these persons with Your wisdom and truths, and deepen Your Sacramental life within them

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.