For all Christins

What steps do you say a person must do to be called a Christian.

Follow the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and experience his abiding Presence as a Living reality. Loving one neighbor as one self. Following the Light Within.

Live the Lord’s Prayer.

For me Bill it’s trying my very best to follow Christs teachings.

Be a good person and help those who are in need of help.

Pray as often as I can, and I pretty much pray all day long. Even if it’s for 15 seconds to many minutes.

Read the Bible as often as I can.

Take care of my elderly sick mom.

Do the right thing with family and friends as well as people that are around me.

Help my neighbors as much as I can.

Go to and support the church as best as I can.

That’s it for now!

Be well and best regards…
Pam

Begin with the first step - be Baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. … :slight_smile:

Be chosen by the Father to receive salvation from His Son :slight_smile:

See that famous chapter John 6 :stuck_out_tongue:

What we do, is not the first step. Ever.

Thank You, This is the best answer yet

NONE ! It’s all done by God !

Enter into the New Covenant with God through Jesus Christ.Following that New Covenant.Love one and another as he has loved us!

In order to become a Christian, one must “DIE” first…

and then be raised in Jesus Christ, from the baptismal waters.

To be called a true (2000 year old) Christian is one who partakes of the divinity of Jesus Christ, through the sacraments, especially the Eucharist which is his body, blood, soul and divinity.

How do you do that? Is there any entry point where/when you are covenanted with God? There was for Abraham and for Moses and his people. Jesus did too before he entered into his ministry. Anyway, if a covenant is a divine agreement/understanding or a promise that is made between two parties, would they not start with a ceremony or a deal to carry out that? Do you need that or is it not necessary at all?

**A Covenant oath is very ancient and we have it today a great example was in our judicial system." I swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God." That is entering into a Covenant oath. When we swear by God’s Holy name we enter into a Covenant with him. It is not a promise, because that would be swearing by your own name. A Covenant is an exchange of persons, God is God and we are his children. Sevening oneself or Covenant oath swearing is throughout the Bible,it is ancient Hebrew the sheba’..Abraham swore such an oat which became known as **Beer Sheba’The Well of Seven.Through Jesus Christ we enter into a Marrital Covenant as members of his Christian Church. Swearing that Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior in the name of God,I have enter into a Covenant with God.

Thanks for the explanation.

Can you address my question as regards to the point of entry into that covenant? Do you have it or don’t; or do you just swear by yourself at anytime and that’s it?

I noted that there was always a sign when a covenant was made.

Noah covenant with God was symbolized by a rainbow. Genesis 9:13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth.

Abraham’s by circumcision.** Genesis 17:10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. **

And human covenant such as between Jacob and Laban by witness. Genesis 31:44 Come now, let’s make a covenant, you and I, and let it serve as a witness between us."

With Moses, “I will be your God, and you my people”.

Once again entering into a Covenant is not swearing by my own name, but swearing by the name of God, that he is my God. Correct me if I"m wrong,but I believe you are hinting around about Baptism? Covenant sign for Christian was first the fish which symbolized Heaven and earth coming together through Jesus Christ.Two circles in which in the center you find the Fish which is another symbol for the Cross.To answer your question, yes I have it!

Ok. I understand what you’re trying to say.

Do you think Baptism is necessary before a person can become a Christian?

**Mt3:13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John.

Mt28:19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Acts10:48 He then gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.**

Can you give reference for this?

Swearing by oaths is forbbiden to Jews by Mosaic law. The covenants are not sworn oaths.

Funny thing Abraham swear in the name of God to Abimelech a Covenant oath this became known as Beer-sheba’ ( The Well of Seven= Well of Oath). To seven oneself is a Covenant oath. If what you say is true why was our Judicial system built on Covenant Oath swearing example: I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.That is Covenant Oath swearing! Look up Leviticus chapter 26 read the whole chapter it is on Covenants. Exodus 19:5 God order Israel to keep his Covenants.:wink:

It always amazed me that one of the thieves on the cross next to Jesus was not Baptized, yet because of his faith,Jesus promised him Paradise. Luke23:39-43
I believe the is the law and the spirit of the law, so we see in this instance Baptism was not nessesary for Salvation, it was what was in the theifs heart.
Symbols of the Fish were use by early Christian to identify each other. The also use the Fish and the Stowl to let each other know they were going to meet for Mass in the Catacombs. I’ll try to get referances.:cool:

To seven is to repeat something seven times, I don’t know much about it, how it is actually performed, I don’t know. I read the whole of chapter 26, there are no oaths taken, the word is not used in that chapter of the RSV. In a covenant, god simply tells Israel what he will do. A covenant is not an oath…

What about the Covenant oath in our judicial system? You telling me no Jewish people ever swoar " to tell the truth,so help me God" in the history of the U.S.? Read Genesis 21:22-24 Abimelech gets Abraham to swear a Covenant oath in the name of God. Sheba’ in Hebrew is attributed to the number 7 to seven oneself is Covenant Oath swearing. Catholic Church preforms Exorsisms the very word means to “Oath Out”./B]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.