For all those here at CAF who are obsessed with talking about sex and other sins

youtube.com/user/RealCatholicTV?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/ndWBbrLc4rM

And the point is what? That people searching and questioning and trying to understand are somehow wrong? I agree with the video. Now what? No more questions and debate?

:hmmm: I think the questions are more about the young becoming active as such before their time and getting into very serious trouble and seeking answers and help. Nothing obessing about that. Peace, Carlan

Your logic is amazing.

"Here's how I'll fix the problem.

By adding one more sex thread to the pile!"

I still say this is why there needs to be separate forums, so people can feel free to discuss certain topics without recourse from individuals that the topic doesn’t apply.

There is a reason why it seems to be “obsessed”-- because frankly, the Catholic Church hasn’t done the greatest job with teaching about sex, and Christians in general have some very skewed views about sexuality. For every Christian there is out there who has a healthy view towards sexuality, there are 3 who have been told having sexual feelings is sinful, feeling the desire to kiss someone will land them in hell, and having any attraction at all is disgusting.

Go figure!

[quote="spunjalebi, post:5, topic:224122"]
I still say this is why there needs to be separate forums, so people can feel free to discuss certain topics without recourse from individuals that the topic doesn't apply.

There is a reason why it seems to be "obsessed"-- because frankly, the Catholic Church hasn't done the greatest job with teaching about sex, and Christians in general have some very skewed views about sexuality. For every Christian there is out there who has a healthy view towards sexuality, there are 3 who have been told having sexual feelings is sinful, feeling the desire to kiss someone will land them in hell, and having any attraction at all is disgusting.

Go figure!

[/quote]

Yes the church has not done a good job of teaching about sex but some of that may be deliberate. Look at what Michael had to say in the latter part of the video.

having said that we as Catholics need to use our God given intelligence. We should all be smart enough not to fall for the way of the world. Everyone is smart enough to know that we have to be moral and virtuous and listen to what God is telling us.

I think too many of us don't take the time to listen.

Consequently the world is left in the state that its in. The less we catholics become moral and virtuous the more evil the world becomes and as the Holy Father says " the sun is setting"

I dunno. Maybe I wasn’t listening, but most of that video went over my head.

There’s nothing wrong with Catholics or people alike, looking for answers pertaining to their faith and sexual immorality is the number one reason people go to Hell…Our Lady of Fatima stated this as “sins of the flesh”.

How many souls have been saved b/c of sexual topics on CAF??? When you put it this way, it doesn’t sound to shabby to me.

[quote="JRPO, post:6, topic:224122"]
Yes the church has not done a good job of teaching about sex but some of that may be deliberate. Look at what Michael had to say in the latter part of the video.

having said that we as Catholics need to use our God given intelligence. We should all be smart enough not to fall for the way of the world. Everyone is smart enough to know that we have to be moral and virtuous and listen to what God is telling us.

I think too many of us don't take the time to listen.

Consequently the world is left in the state that its in. The less we catholics become moral and virtuous the more evil the world becomes and as the Holy Father says " the sun is setting"

[/quote]

We SHOULD all be smart enough, and we should all be seeking to stay moral and virtuous and listen to what God is telling is.

Reality is, many of us aren't very smart, and many of us have trouble discerning true morality from legalistic practices.

First of all, many of the people on CAF came to Catholicism from various non-Catholic churches, all of which have different teachings about human sexuality and the Bible.

Second, many of us, including the Catholics, come from families where things weren't perfect, and so our ideas about sexuality have been distorted. I'm not saying we were all abused or mistreated--that's not it at all. Most of us had loving parents who did their best. But they still made mistakes, even as we make and made mistakes raising our children.

Third, most of us live in this world and are constantly exposed, even if we seek to avoid such exposure, to non-Christian sexuality. It's extremely difficult to keep a clear understanding of what's "Christian" and what isn't. Many Christians in both Catholic and non-Catholic traditions have managed to convince themselves that certain practices (e.g., living together before marriage, abortion, artificial birth control, homosexuality, etc.) are morally-acceptable.

So yes, although we SHOULD be smart enough, NO, we're not. That's why we come to CAF--to learn. It's not like there are that many places where sexual issues can be discussed. Workplace, church socials, Bible studies, parties, lunch with a friend, family get-togethers--umm, I don't know about all of you, but I don't feel especially comfortable discussing sex in these setting. Online communities are great for this kind of thing.

[quote="Cat, post:8, topic:224122"]
We SHOULD all be smart enough, and we should all be seeking to stay moral and virtuous and listen to what God is telling is.

Reality is, many of us aren't very smart, and many of us have trouble discerning true morality from legalistic practices.

First of all, many of the people on CAF came to Catholicism from various non-Catholic churches, all of which have different teachings about human sexuality and the Bible.

Second, many of us, including the Catholics, come from families where things weren't perfect, and so our ideas about sexuality have been distorted. I'm not saying we were all abused or mistreated--that's not it at all. Most of us had loving parents who did their best. But they still made mistakes, even as we make and made mistakes raising our children.

Third, most of us live in this world and are constantly exposed, even if we seek to avoid such exposure, to non-Christian sexuality. It's extremely difficult to keep a clear understanding of what's "Christian" and what isn't. Many Christians in both Catholic and non-Catholic traditions have managed to convince themselves that certain practices (e.g., living together before marriage, abortion, artificial birth control, homosexuality, etc.) are morally-acceptable.

So yes, although we SHOULD be smart enough, NO, we're not. That's why we come to CAF--to learn. It's not like there are that many places where sexual issues can be discussed. Workplace, church socials, Bible studies, parties, lunch with a friend, family get-togethers--umm, I don't know about all of you, but I don't feel especially comfortable discussing sex in these setting. Online communities are great for this kind of thing.

[/quote]

We're smart enough. We just need to learn. And we need good leaders in the church.
there is a bit in the bible about souls suffering because of the sins of others, there's lesson here somewhere I'm sure.

Dear JRPO,

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe you had posted it in the Prayer Intentions section of the forum. Perhaps you will.

May God bless you in this New Year.

~~ the phoenix

But again there’s a problem-even among themselves, Catholics cannot agree on exactly who the “good leaders in the Church” are. Leaders from the clergy and laeity are considered “too liberal” or “too conservative” by Catholics. There’s no agreement. Even when the Church endorses someone, there are Catholics who still refuse to accept the endorsement.

I agree, though, that it seems strange that we have to come to an online community and ask people that we don’t know from Adam about things that should have clear answers from the Church in statements that are accessible to all.

Ironic twist - I went to the video - Video has been removed by user.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:12, topic:224122"]
Ironic twist - I went to the video - Video has been removed by user.

[/quote]

There was an editing error that needed to be corrected. The new video has been loaded to YouTube and can be viewed here: youtube.com/user/RealCatholicTV?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/AohIc6qxkgQ

Nothing mysterious or dramatic.

~Liza

Thank you I just figured it was another one of those YouTube things where some body complained and it got pulled. The speech falls right into his book "Light of the World" - there is nothing new being said in that speech - the problem is is that most of our Catholic population refuses to educate themselves except for video soundbytes (an hour or less) and internet forums. That is why we are in the trouble we are in. So how many here have read the Pope's latest book?

And just for the fun of it - if you could take this poll I would appreciate it - thanks:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=524415

Thank you lizaanne. I wonder if the forum admin would be kind enough to edit the OP and put the new link there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.