For baseball fans, what do you like?

I added a poll to this thread.

So what do you prefer, a game with lots of home runs, or good pitching? I prefer the latter, and I love absolutely shutouts, no matter who pitches them or what team he is on. I simply love a row of 9 consecutive zeros! I like to see this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 0

0 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 - 2 7 0

Not this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E

0 2 0 3 0 4 1 1 0 11 16 1

1 0 4 0 0 0 0 0 0 5 7 1

I love seeing MLB hitters, who have superior contact/power relative to the general population being nonplussed by pitcher "painting" the outside corner, being struck out looking, or overpowered, forcing swinging strikes, with pure power (velocity). As an exception to my general dislike of sluggers, and my bias for the pitcher in the pitcher-batter duel, I like pitchers who hit home runs.

Unfortunately, I have no witnessed a no-hitter or a perfect game on television or at the ballpark. That would truly be beatific! :)

Baseball is just amazing, I absolutely love it. Especially the Yankees!! :wink: I much prefer well pitched games though. The blowouts and games that take forever and ever I just want to have end. I’ve not witnessed a no-hitter or perfect game. While I love going to MLB games, I also love minor league baseball. There’s just something about watching people pay their dues to try to do something they love that is wonderful. It’s too bad the rest of society doesn’t seem to like the idea of paying dues. Oh well.

Although offense sells tickets, I prefer a good pitching duel.

I saw a no-hitter in 1993 when I watched Darryl Kile of the Astros no-hit the Mets. What a thrill.

Peace

Tim

I definitely prefer a well-pitched game. The only thing I've seen that came close to a no-hitter was the Detroit-Cleveland game earlier this year when the ump blew the call at first, denying Armando Galarraga his no-hitter in the ninth. As much as Galarraga deserved the no-hitter, I agree with the decision to have the call stand after the game.

-CK

P.S. - GO BRAVES!

[quote="Catholic_Kenpo, post:4, topic:208496"]
I definitely prefer a well-pitched game. The only thing I've seen that came close to a no-hitter was the Detroit-Cleveland game earlier this year when the ump blew the call at first, denying Armando Galarraga his no-hitter in the ninth. As much as Galarraga deserved the no-hitter, I agree with the decision to have the call stand after the game.

[/quote]

Worse than that, the blown call cost him a perfect game. I felt bad for both the pitcher and the ump.

Peace

Tim

I strongly prefer a well pitched game. And yes, I saw a no-hitter! Kyle Drabek, the son of Doug Drabek, pitched a no-hitter in AA New Hampshire this season. I loved it!

I like to see good fundamental baseball. Give me guys who are happy they grounded out and moved a runner from second to third with less than two out. —*not guys who are mad they didn't homer. Get them on, get them over, get them in is what I want on offense. Work fast, throw strikes, get ahead is what I want from pitchers. Single, stolen base, sac bunt, sac fly is a great way to win a one run game in my book. I also love to see a good pitcher work. There are a lot of good "hurlers" but not a ton of good pitchers. Right now, and I respect differences of opinion, I think Cliff Lee is the best "pitcher" in the game right now. Pitchers, in my mind, do not generally have the 99 MPH fastball. Instead they work up and down in and out and change the pattern of their pitches as the game goes on, keeping batters always guessing. Pitchers don't generally strike a ton of people out but pitch to their defense and makes the defense appear to be having practice because plays are so easy. Great pitchers often have long careers. Hurlers, usually don't. Although, if they are smart. Great hurlers can become great pitchers.

i like it somewhere between a shootout and a pitcher’s duel.

good pitching, good defense, good hitting.

I just root for the home team to make a comeback at whatever sporting event I am at. There is something about hearing thousands and thousands of people erupt into shouts of joy that moves something deep within me. If we’re talking baseball, walk off homers for the home team are the best. I’d much rather see a home run fest than a pitcher’s duel, though I suppose there would be an eruption upon completion of a perfect game. However, those perfect games are so rare. . .

I was present for the first no-hitter ever, at Angel Stadium. It happened in 1970 against the Oakland A's.

The Angel pitcher was Clyde Wright. A funny side story. --- I met Clyde about 7 yrs. ago, and couldn't convince him that I was there. He was just trying to give me a hard time. I countered, by telling him I had never seen him hit so hard, and that he should thank God, he had such a great defense behind him. He agreed!:thumbsup:

[quote="Orogeny, post:3, topic:208496"]
Although offense sells tickets, I prefer a good pitching duel.

I saw a no-hitter in 1993 when I watched Darryl Kile of the Astros no-hit the Mets. What a thrill.

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

The last no-hitter that wasn't also a shutout. 7-1 Astros victory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.