For Catholic Evangelization team in Boise, Idaho - SPSE

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. x10

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

1 Like

Is there a growing hunger for prayer? So thank you for your ongoing prayers for the Boise Catholic street evangelization effort. Two evangelists were available.

• A 20-something couple stopped. She wanted the light-purple Rosary e. Lucy was holding. He declined receiving one, because “they start burning”. Lord, have mercy! Christ, save them!

• A group of 3 or 4 young women stopped. They each received a Rosary. One woman, lingered an extra few moments to receive an explanation of the devotion and the encouragement to “sit down and try it.”

• A Catholic man, walking past, pulled his well-used wooden Rosary out of his pocket to show us. Several other groups of people going by also happily claimed their Catholicism and devotion to the Rosary. May God bless them and keep them faithful!

• A group of college-aged women stopped. They each accepted a Rosary, except one who had picked one up from us a few weeks ago. The woman e. Chuck talked to was Catholic, but said she was always confused about how to pray the Rosary. So he showed her how to use the pamphlet as a guide. Then she admitted that it was hard for her to find time to pray. E. Chuck then suggested she start out with just the three Hail Marys at the beginning of the Rosary and to make that a habit. Then e. Lucy told the group of all the blessings of praying the Rosary.

• Four young men stopped, laden with food bags and on their way to spend the afternoon watching a sporting event. None of them were Catholic , but were interested in prayer. Even after three of them walked away, one stayed talking with e. Lucy for another minute.

• A young man with a lunch bag stopped. He was unfamiliar with the Rosary, so e. Chuck started telling him about it. E. Lucy asked if he were a Christian. He was not, so we fixed him up with our Good News/kerygma pamphlet. He sat at a nearby picnic table to eat, and examine his Rosary.

• A man on a bike passed. Then he came back to say that he had left the Church because he thought it was getting too political, and that it favored a candidate he did not like. We tried to explain that the Sacraments were much more important than politics, but he was adamant. He did, though, leave open the possibility that he would come back after the election. Please pray for him?

• Altogether, the two evangelists gave away 15-20 Rosaries and its booklet, 1 kerygma, and 1 Divine Mercy bookmark.

Please pray for us again today? Ask God to prepare people to perceive their need for Our Savior Jesus Christ and His Holy Catholic Church, and that much good fruit for His Kingdom comes of today’s efforts.

Greater numbers of people seem to be willing to give prayer a try. So, thank you again for your prayers and other support for this apostolate. In turn, may God protect and greatly bless you and all those you love!

Go with the strength you have“ (Judg 6:14).

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death, Amen.

Eternal Father, I offer you the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord, Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world.

For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. x10

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

1 Like

1 Like

To Jesus through Mary. Thank you again for your prayers for the Boise Catholic street evangelization effort.

• Three women stopped. The older one, carrying a baby, was Catholic and wanted a Rosary for the baby. The other two also chose Rosaries. One of them didn’t understand how to pray it. The woman with the baby, though, promised to walk her through it, once they got to their destination. May her faith and enthusiasm for prayer enliven her friend’s faith!

• Two women in their late teens stopped. Besides peculiar dress, they both wore heavy theatrical makeup around their many facial piercings. They were excited to get a Rosary, but didn’t know what they were. The woman e. Chuck talked to seemed to know who Christ is, but got quieter as he showed her the Mysteries. When e. Lucy asked the other if she were Christian, she replied, “I have no faith.” So, besides the Rosary and encouragement to sit down and spend time with it to get to know Christ, she gave the young woman a copy of our one-page kerygma.

• A group of 3 or 4 Catholic couples stopped. E. Chuck talked with a man and wife who had picked up Rosaries the week before. They had tried praying it, once, but found it difficult. Another man in the group chimed in that they “just had to keep trying”. Chuck suggested making the introductory three Hail Marys a habit, and build from there. They said they’d give it a try.

• Two employees of the business park stopped for a Rosary, one in close succession to the other. The second man was familiar with the Rosary and said he’d pray it.

• A woman replied to our offer of a Rosary with, “We’re unitarians and you’re trinitarians, so we’ll pass.”

• “Parking-lot-attendant John” overheard the woman’s remark. He talked briefly with e. Chuck about it, who got the impression that John was making fun of Catholicism and her historical defense of orthodoxy.

• Meanwhile, a homeless-looking man had approached as the previous woman was leaving. To our offer of a Rosary, he said, “I gave up on the Rosary and the Catholic Church a long time ago.” He didn’t want to be Catholic, he said, because of priest scandals in previous decades. He was fairly quick, though, to admit the problem wasn’t unique to Catholicism, and mentioned other organizations where abuse had happened. Then he cited other historical atrocities (not just Catholic) over the last few centuries. If he took his love for history and all the way back to the time of Christ, perhaps he’d gain a truer perspective. Please pray for him?

• Altogether, the two evangelists gave away 12-15 Rosaries, and 1 kerygma.

Please pray for us again today? Ask God to prepare people’s hearts to perceive their need for Our Savior Jesus Christ and His Holy Catholic Church, and that much good fruit for His Kingdom comes of today’s effort.

The Rosary, when taken seriously, can lead to deep conversion to Jesus Christ. So thank you again for your prayers and other support for this apostolate. In turn, may God protect and greatly bless you and all those you love!

“Pray … also for me, that speech may be given me … to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel” (Eph 6:19-20).

We saw some lively interest in the Catholic Church. So thank you again for your prayers for the Boise Catholic street evangelization effort.

• As we were setting up, two well-dressed 20-something men stopped at our offer of a Rosary. “John” seemed skeptical, and “Victor” laughed, when they learned the Rosary was for prayer. They declined the Rosary but took the pamphlet as we explained the how to, why to, and benefits of praying the Rosary. John continued to ask questions about the Catholic Church and was surprised to learn e. Chuck had converted from Protestantism. They listened to his story and were very respectful through all our conversation. They had just attended their ethnic, non-Catholic Christian church and John admitted he was having questions about a lot of things but would not elaborate. In the end, they still didn’t take a Rosary but thanked us for the conversation.

• A dad came by, accompanied by three children under 10. He stood back, but allowed each child to choose a Rosary.

• “Cody” declined a Rosary as he passed by, but then circled back and asked us to pray for him. He did not give specifics but wanted prayer to, in short, be who he was supposed to be. So e. Chuck prayed for him, asking the Holy Spirit to open his ears, eyes, heart, and mind to the leading of God’s will.

• Meanwhile, two women in their late teens, possibly sisters, approached the table with a lot of questions. The parents (of at least one of the girls) were retired Christian missionaries. When e. Lucy asked if they were Christian, the older one said “no”. So, besides the “How to Pray the Rosary” brochure, e. Lucy handed her a copy of the kerygma.

• They asked about suicide, which is of course forbidden by divine law, a fact corroborated by recent “near hell” experiences of would-be suicides. Of course, the tragedy of the situation is balanced by our hope for God’s mercy. And we pray, even after the fact, that the person was granted a moment of repentance before it was too late. They asked if there was an unforgiveable sin, and what it was. E. Lucy explained “final impenitence”.

[This report continued in the next post.]

[Continued from previous post]

• Then the young women asked how we “hold onto faith in an anti-faith culture”? Part of what they meant was: how did we deal with people who were obviously sinning, or living a sinful lifestyle? That led to talking about the Church’s stance on problematic relationships. At least one of them seemed to have a personal interest in finding a support group for the same-sex-attracted person who is committed to living chastely. Our visitor eagerly accepted a copy of our FAQ pamphlet on the subject, as well as listening carefully to the name of a national support group for people struggling with exactly that issue.

• We were talking about church splits and authority when e. Chuck finished his conversation with Cody. So he jumped right in, because that was the very issue that led him into the Catholic Church. And the topic drifted to “the Sacraments”, only they really had no idea what the word meant: Was a “sacrament” a thing, an action, a type of church service? So, e. Chuck started explaining that a Sacrament made real what it symbolized, that each Sacrament has both a material and a spiritual element to it, just as a human being does. We did a quick trip through the Sacraments, first telling “what it looked like” and then what the spiritual effect was. They seemed to find the discussion quite exciting. They accepted a map to area parishes and were urged to contact them for RCIA classes.

• Then the younger of the women said she was going into the medical profession and asked some medical ethics questions. We covered euthanasia and abortion and the underlying principles behind the Church’s deep respect for every human person. May their curiosity and openness lead them ever closer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

• Altogether, we gave away 10-15 Rosaries and its pamphlet, a “Good News”/kerygma, a “Homosexuality”, and a “Sexual Purity” pamphlet, as well as a map to area parishes.

Please continue to pray for the Boise team?

I will not be able to post here again for a month or more. I asked a fellow team member to post weekly, starting after our 11/15 session. But, in case he’s not able to, would some of you please post the occasional prayer to keep this nearly-8-year-old thread (and apostolate) alive? Thank you so much! May God protect and bless you!

Here’s hoping I’m doing this correctly. Thank you Katherine438 for keeping the prayers and forum thread going. Sunday’s report is below.

There was one evangelist today (11/15/20) with a minimal display (Rosaries on the fingers of one hand, how-to-pray the Rosary pamphlets in the other). Foot traffic was very light at the Grove with the wet weather but I gave away six Rosaries.

Spenser was the first to stop, he declined a rosary but wanted to know about praying to Mary verses praying directly to Jesus. We talked about how it wasn’t an either/or question and he acknowledged it made sense to ask others to pray for you especially if it was someone as close to Jesus as His mother. He then prayed for me, the people downtown, the city and the country and at the end of his prayer he asked “Jesus’s mamma” to pray for all those people too. May the mother of our Lord draw Spenser closer to Christ.

Three college roommates accepted Rosaries, they were non-Catholic Christians and unfamiliar with the rosary. They seemed enthusiastic about spending time meditating on the life of Christ in prayer and how that calls us to change and seek a deeper relationship to Him. May they have the courage and persistence to encounter Christ and His mother in prayer.

A man with a broken foot and a fuzzy pink hat wanted a rosary but became less enthusiastic when he found out it was for prayer. Call him to you Lord Jesus!

The other two rosaries went to people who had been “raised Catholic” but were no longer practicing. May these prayers call them back to the Church.

Pray also for the hostile man who shouted the word “evil!” at me and the young lady who bragged that she was drunk. May God shower them with mercy, grace and love.

Thank you for your prayers!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.