For Catholics and Protestants

I have read posts by many of you explaining why you are Catholic, and I think that was wonderful. Now I would like to offer maybe a slightly different version.

For Protestants: Why do you remain Protestant?

For Catholics: Why are you NOT Protestant?

I understand there may be some overlaping from former threads and posts, but I think this is somewhat different. This is not for converts stirctly, I am interested in hearing what cradle Catholics have to say, and I am interested to hear why cradle Protestants remain where they are at. Also, maybe why one left Catholicism or Protestantism for the other.

Thanks a ton y’all!

DU

I left a protestant denomination (the Episcopal Church) for the catholic church when I realized that they were deciding theological and moral issues by popular vote, without reference to scripture and tradition, and that they did not have valid holy orders, and therefore their eucharist is not valid.

I am Lutheran because I am unable to take any credit whatsoever for my salvation.

[quote=snowman10]I have read posts by many of you explaining why you are Catholic, and I think that was wonderful. Now I would like to offer maybe a slightly different version.

For Protestants: Why do you remain Protestant?

For Catholics: Why are you NOT Protestant?

I understand there may be some overlaping from former threads and posts, but I think this is somewhat different. This is not for converts stirctly, I am interested in hearing what cradle Catholics have to say, and I am interested to hear why cradle Protestants remain where they are at. Also, maybe why one left Catholicism or Protestantism for the other.

Thanks a ton y’all!

DU
[/quote]

One word: Truth.

Why I’m not Catholic:

Basically 3 major things stand in my way, as of right now. Maybe a few other things as well, but those are smaller, I believe.

I’m not sure how to knock out these 3 things, but if/when it happens, I am mostly likely RCIA bound.

You never know though. :nerd:

Nice topic! I’m currently in RCIA and probably wont get confirmed until next Easter Vigil bummer!:frowning:

Why am I pursuing Catholicism? 'Cause! I prayed to Jesus that I wanted the WHOLE TRUTH and prayed what Church He intended for all to be in! As many of you know, I joined this forum back in December 2004, sooo frustrated as where I should be Catholic or stay a Protestant: [/font]

But now after watching tons of EWTN, etc. I realized that the CC is THE Church!:smiley:

I am Catholic because it is the Church that Jesus established for us here on earth 2,000 years ago. Like another poster said, I am Catholic because it is the Truth.

[quote=RonWI]I am Lutheran because I am unable to take any credit whatsoever for my salvation.
[/quote]

I’m Catholic for the same reason! Small world! :smiley:

I’m wanting to convert mainly because most Protestant denominations are turning into a organization that goes off whatever is the trend or they are too wishy washy. Do I believe every single thing taught by the Church? No, but who does? It’s just blind faith sometimes.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]I’m Catholic for the same reason! Small world! :smiley:
[/quote]

Perhaps I should have been more specific. I should have said because I can give credit to no one or thing other than Christ. Because my salvation is credited to Christ alone, I can boast of my confidence in Him and it. He did everything in his passion. He paid the entire price. There is nothing left for me to do or pay.

From the Council of Trent:

CHAPTER IX.
Against the vain confidence of Heretics. But, although it is necessary to believe that sins neither are remitted, nor ever were remitted save gratuitously by the mercy of God for Christ’s sake; yet is it not to be said, that sins are forgiven, or have been forgiven, to any one who boasts of his confidence and certainty of the remission of his sins, and rests on that alone; seeing that it may exist, yea does in our day exist, amongst heretics and schismatics; and with great vehemence is this vain confidence, and one alien from all godliness, preached up in opposition to the Catholic Church.

DECREE CONCERNING INDULGENCES.Whereas the power of conferring Indulgences was granted by Christ to the Church; and she has, even in the most ancient times, used the said power, delivered unto her of God; the sacred holy Synod teaches, and enjoins, that the use of Indulgences, for the Christian people most salutary, and approved of [Page 278] by the authority of sacred Councils, is to be retained in the Church; and It condemns with anathema those who either assert, that they are useless; or who deny that there is in the Church the power of granting them.

[quote=RonWI]I am Lutheran because I am unable to take any credit whatsoever for my salvation.
[/quote]

Just out of interest, why not presbyterian, baptist, anglican etc but Lutheran?

There you go trying to tick someone off again!! Just kidding.

I think I get what you are saying. Sometimes we try to have all the intellectual answers, afterall, isn’t that what we’re really doing on these forums? But there is something to be said for the people with a simple, humble faith, who obey without great understanding.

I like, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:5

I think you’ll find that if you at least give assent to everything the church teaches as being truth, you’ll see the wisdom in all these teachings as you increase in faith and obedience to them.

That’s why I’m not protestant. I believe the Church teaches the truth and I prayed that I would be given the grace to obey what she says. I am also grateful for the sacrament of reconciliation, because we all know we don’t always obey.

[quote=wabrams]I’m wanting to convert mainly because most Protestant denominations are turning into a organization that goes off whatever is the trend or they are too wishy washy. Do I believe every single thing taught by the Church? No, but who does? It’s just blind faith sometimes.
[/quote]

The Pillar of Fire The Pillar of Truth:

catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

“We believe in spite of not because of corrupt men.” - my Granddad

Regarding the misuse of Indulgences: "The Catholic Church has existed for nearly 2,000 years, despite constant opposition from the world. This is testimony to the Church’s divine origin. It must be more than a merely human organization, especially considering that its human members— even some of its leaders—have been unwise, corrupt, or prone to heresy.

Any merely human organization with such members would have collapsed early on. The Catholic Church is today the most vigorous church in the world (and the largest, with a billion members: one sixth of the human race), and that is testimony not to the cleverness of the Church’s leaders, but to the protection of the Holy Spirit."

[quote=wabrams]Do I believe every single thing taught by the Church? No, but who does?
[/quote]

I DO!

[quote=JGC]Just out of interest, why not presbyterian, baptist, anglican etc but Lutheran?
[/quote]

Baptists also give credit to someone or thing other than Christ: themselves. It is up to them to decide, to choose, to be saved. I do not have the capability to make that choice. If I had to, I would be damned. (Plus Baptists deny God’s gifts of the eucharist [real presence] and infant baptism.)

Anglican and Presbyterian Churches: moral relativism, women pastors, genderless.

Anglican: as I understand, shares its doctrine of justification with the Council of Trent.

I left the Catholic Church when I was about 18 years old, because I didn’t understand my faith.

It is interesting about how when you leave the Catholic faith, you can’t defend it, but a month later you know all about it and how bad it is.

After a long journey this included my brother becoming fundamentalist Christian and too much inconsistancy in other denominations and my wife wanting me to keep going to Calvary Chapel. I had the luck of when I visited my parents and was made to go to Mass with them, I could see consistancy, I decided to search for the truth.
Getting my own Bible(reading it as unbiased as I could) and looking at history and the Catholic perspective convinced me of the fullness of the Catholic faith and my misunderstandings of it. I then felt that I couldn’t honestly not be fully Catholic, with what I knew. My wife similarly joined me in the journey home and now we are Catholic.
We were married in the Church in Feb and now are both happy to be Catholic.

[quote=Yonnie]I DO!

[/quote]

Ditto here. If I did not believe all of Catholicism, I would reject all of it - instead God opened my eyes and heart and mind and I swam on home!

Don’t know if I’ll have time to sift through all of the the thread, but this says it for me:

[quote=wabrams]I’m wanting to convert mainly because most Protestant denominations are turning into a organization that goes off whatever is the trend or they are too wishy washy. Do I believe every single thing taught by the Church? No, but who does? It’s just blind faith sometimes.
[/quote]

Funny, that is the reason I am LEAVING the RCC! Yes, the teachings of the church say one thing, but the people don’t all adhere to it. As a Catholic, I TOTALLY adhered to RCC teaching. Now, as a protestant who relies ONLY in the Bible, the same thing happens - the Bible says one thing and the people don’t all adhere to it. But RCC put their “blind faith” as you say, in the church, protestants put their “blind faith” in God’s Word for teaching.

Peace,
~OTF

[quote=RonWI]Perhaps I should have been more specific. I should have said because I can give credit to no one or thing other than Christ. Because my salvation is credited to Christ alone, I can boast of my confidence in Him and it. He did everything in his passion. He paid the entire price. There is nothing left for me to do or pay.

From the Council of Trent:

CHAPTER IX.
Against the vain confidence of Heretics. But, although it is necessary to believe that sins neither are remitted, nor ever were remitted save gratuitously by the mercy of God for Christ’s sake; yet is it not to be said, that sins are forgiven, or have been forgiven, to any one who boasts of his confidence and certainty of the remission of his sins, and rests on that alone; seeing that it may exist, yea does in our day exist, amongst heretics and schismatics; and with great vehemence is this vain confidence, and one alien from all godliness, preached up in opposition to the Catholic Church. You’ve misunderstood. The Council of Trent is here inveighing against
"presumption." The Church is saying,"You’re not saved because you believe you’re saved."

DECREE CONCERNING INDULGENCES.Whereas the power of conferring Indulgences was granted by Christ to the Church; and she has, even in the most ancient times, used the said power, delivered unto her of God; the sacred holy Synod teaches, and enjoins, that the use of Indulgences, for the Christian people most salutary, and approved of [Page 278] by the authority of sacred Councils, is to be retained in the Church; and It condemns with anathema those who either assert, that they are useless; or who deny that there is in the Church the power of granting them.
[/quote]

Of course you have a problem with this: you’re a Lutheran. You reject the authority of the Keys, you reject that this authority was given to Peter or that it devolves upon his successors or that it is shared by the bishops of the Church, even though Christ speaks of it twice (one to Peter, then to the 12 together) and reinforces it when He breathed the Holy Spirit upon them and gave them the power to remit sins. You know, that’s a a huge chunk of “Sola Scriptura” that you’re rejecting there.

Is this your plan, to attack everyone who responds to the initial post in this thread? It asks to state why YOU are protestant or Catholic, not to attack the other side with mindless soundbites.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.