For Catholics: Would you consider yourself anti-protestant?

Just curious;)

I have been reading alot of threads that just catholics are posting and I have seen some things written that are very negative toward protestants so I pose the question.

Im not accusing–just wondering. I figure since catholics accuse us(not all of us of course)protestants of being anti-catholic---------would you consider yourself anti-protestant?:frowning:

No, if you mean, do I consider myself to have negative ‘feelings’ towards individual Protestants. After all, my best friend is Protestant!

But am I ‘indifferent’ to Protestantism? No. I consider that while various Protestant groups (and this is a subtle but distinct difference from any Protestant person) may have some of the truth, they lack the fullness of truth which is found in the Catholic Church (and again this is a subtle but distinct difference from any Catholic person).

IOW, you, All, may be closer to God’s teachings in your knowledge and earthly life, than I, a Catholic. But Protestant Christianity is ‘farther’ from Christ’s teachings, lacking fullness, than is Catholic Christianity.

Do I wish that Protestantism did not exist? Only in that Christ’s desire for unity would have us all be part of the one, holy, Catholic/catholic apostolic church.

So I am not negatively inclined toward any person, and my feelings towards the teachings are only that I wish that they embraced the Catholic fullness so that we would all be one.

I don’t think that’s anti. :slight_smile:

I hope I would never come across as anti-Protestant. I came to know & love Jesus in Protestant Churches. I have many many friends who are wonderful Christians who walk with & serve the Lord. Most of those friends support my decision to become Catholic & we have a mutual respect for each other’s faith recognizing that we agree about Jesus & that’s whats most important.

Do I wish they were Catholic? Sure. But I think it’s not their fault that they aren’t. If someone would’ve told me 4 years ago that I’d be on the CATHOLIC side of the fence today, I would’ve laughed like crazy.

If I were anti anybody, it would be with Catholics who obviously knew little if anything about the Catholic Church, cross over to the Protestant side & then complain up & down about Catholics.

I am not anti-protestant but I don’t agree with some of the beliefs protestants believe. Indeed, my brother and sister are protestant and quite religious. They are not against my belief. We study Bible together on what we share in common.

We are not having the same beliefs on several matters, but being against each other is the work of Satan. What we should do is to point out the Truth so that we are not deceived by Satan.

I feel the. same. I am a convert from Protestantism, and I value what I learned as a Protestant, but I realize it wasn’t the whole truth. I pray for Protestants to become Catholic so they may enjoy all that Christ has for them:)

I know very few people that would outright and unabashedly characterize themselves as “anti” any group of persons.:smiley:

Having said that, I am always ready to explain and defend the Catholic Faith against all comers. I never approach Protestants or go into Protestant forums to say “You are all wrong and going to hell” as many Protestants come into this forum to do (some more or less subtly than others). At that point, the gloves come off, and if it takes showing that the Protestant emperor has no clothes (such when it comes to the errors of Sola Scriptura), and that makes me anti-Protestant – so be it. Only a mindless punching bag doesn’t fight back when attacked.

While it’s true that Protestant churches do not have the fullness of the faith, they also contain teachings that simply are not true. These false teachings are teachings that came from men who, for one reason or another, had an inability to submit to the Magisterium Christ established. Most modern Protestants know nothing of this, or if they do, they only know a distorted history of how their denominations got started. It is this that keeps us divided from one another.

And unless and until Protestants are willing to see Church history as it really happened, there will be no reuniting of our separated brethren within the fullness of the Church. I find this very sad. And I regret the many years in which I believed the false histories and teachings I learned in my Protestant denominations, and taught them to others, even though I was only following what I’d been taught by others who also were only following what they thought was the truth.

I will be brash and say that I am anti-Protestanism.

Having come out of a non-denominational church (which I thank God for), I am very much against the kind of theology that was taught there. I am not one who thinks that there are few differences between Catholics and Protestants nor do I think that “Well, protestants just have a different way of thinking about things” is a legitimate excuse for their rejection of the truth to be found in the Catholic Church.

The ammount of Christian theology that the protestants of my former church had right is just about the same ammount that can be memorized and regurgitated by a 5 year old as he’s being pressured to “accept Jesus into his heart”.

Though I certainly don’t hold individual protestants responsible. Most of them are very sadly ignorant, as I once was. So I am not anti-Protestant (meaning the people) I am anti-Protestantism (meaning the theology). I simply can’t support a belief system that has rejected the Church, the institution that Christ established.

Della,
You didnt really answer the question. You just gave a lecture as to what you think is wrong with protestantism.

Thank you for being honest.:thumbsup:

I am against the heresies contained in protestant doctrines, but not protestants themselves.

Thank you for being honest as well.:thumbsup:

That is a good point. That is how I feel but on the opposite side.

With that said I am not opening a debate about what I just said Im just making a statement. Just like Im not going to argue or debate what heresies you guys think about Protestant churches.:wink:
That is not my intent for this thread.:thumbsup:

I don’t consider myself to be anti-protestant in the sense that I hold negative feelings toward the individuals who follow Protestantism. However, I am anti-Protestant in the sense that Protestantism (itself) only provides it’s followers with part of the Truth. Some times it becomes frustrating to speak with a Protestant on issues relating to this because they are either unwilling or unable to see past those things which they have been taught concerning the Catholic Church (therein sits the apparent anti-Protestant feelings on my part). I experienced this same frustration when teaching my children their multiplication tables. “Alex, what is 8x9?” Alex replies, “ahhh… 64?” :banghead:

I experienced this same frustration when teaching my children their multiplication tables. “Alex, what is 8x9?” Alex replies, “ahhh… 64?” :banghead:

This is off topic but I had to tell you something.
My Alex is a know it all and is in 2nd. I asked him what is 8x8 and that stinker got it right:eek: So I asked him what plate tectonics were and he didnt know:D

Same issues when you come across a know it all as well.:banghead: :rotfl:

Ok back on topic:thumbsup: I figur I can derail because it is my thread:p

I agree, especially the part in bold.

The ammount of Christian theology that the protestants of my former church had right is just about the same ammount that can be memorized and regurgitated by a 5 year old as he’s being pressured to “accept Jesus into his heart”.

I’ve been there too in my tender childhood years. I guess that was a small part of my journey home to the Catholic Church though:)

I guess I’m a bit bitter about that. I was pressured into “asking Jesus into my heart” it seems from birth and gave in at 4 years of age because my cousin was doing it and I wanted to be like her. :rolleyes: But I had no really understanding of what I was doing. I wonder how it was any better than Baptizing infants which is a practice my former church rejects. :wink:

Man, that’s a very good question… :hmmm:

I guess my answer would be like yours (in converse); I am not anti-protestant, but anti-protestantism. I believe the Lord did not bother to suffer ignominy on the cross only to have us all believe, willy-nilly, whatever suits us. He told us He came to establish His Church and He wants us all in it. He prayed that we remain one and He promised His eternal protection to His Church. That Church was one in the first century as well as in the second and third centuries. Also the fourth, fifth…seventh…eleventh…fourteenth…sixteenth…twentieth…

We all deserve to be part of His family, His Church. That’s what He wants for us and what He created us for. So, yes, I am opposed to anything that confuses people and leads them away from His Church.

It was meant to an addendum to the others’ responses. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess it depends upon what you view as “anti” protestant. I think that some of our protestant brothers and sisters have done a very good job at bringing people to a relationship with God that they did not find in the Catholic Church or did not have at all. I believe that much of that has to be commended. I can’t be entirely anti protestant as it was through a protestant friend that I became a stronger Catholic.

I do get fed up with those whose only purpose in life is to bash the Catholic Church and those who belong there. I guess I could see myself as being anti protestant in this scenario.

I may get frustrated with those who don’t see the establishment of authority in the church especially today with so many different denominations. Without authority we are no longer one as the Son and the Father are one. I see the pope as one the greatest gifts from God. When Jesus told his apostles that they have the power to bind and loose, that means they get to make the rules. That is infallibility by definition. This is a true blessing, otherwise, everyone would be arguing in discussion boards all over the earth about what the Bible means.

God’s peace be with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.