For Christians: Which Christian Sect is right?

Christian Sects differ greatly in tackling portions of the Bible, nature of Jesus and Blessed Mother among other things.
Which do you think is the truest sect?
How about this as a start?
Amish

Anabaptism

Assemblies of God

Baptists

Calvinism

Christadelphians

Christian Identity

Church Universal and Triumphant

Church of Christ

Church of England

Congregationalism

Coptic Christianity

Eastern Orthodox

Episcopal Church

Ethiopian Christianity

IURD

Jehovah’s Witnesses

Lutheran Church

Maronites

Mennonites

Methodism

Old Catholic Movement

Pentecostal Church

People’s Temple

Pilgrims

Presbyterian Church

Protestant

Puritanism

Quakers

Roman Catholicism

Shakers

Spiritual Baptists

Thomas Christians

Unification Church

Unitarianism

United Church of Christ

Unitarian Universalist

Roman Catholic, with the successor of Peter and Apostolic Succession.

[quote=Sw0rdD]Christian Sects differ greatly in tackling portions of the Bible, nature of Jesus and Blessed Mother among other things.
Which do you think is the truest sect?
How about this as a start?
Amish

Anabaptism

Assemblies of God

Baptists

Calvinism

Christadelphians

Christian Identity

Church Universal and Triumphant

Church of Christ

Church of England

Congregationalism

Coptic Christianity

Eastern Orthodox

Episcopal Church

Ethiopian Christianity

IURD

Jehovah’s Witnesses

Lutheran Church

Maronites

Mennonites

Methodism

Old Catholic Movement

Pentecostal Church

People’s Temple

Pilgrims

Presbyterian Church

Protestant

Puritanism

Quakers

Roman Catholicism

Shakers

Spiritual Baptists

Thomas Christians

Unification Church

Unitarianism

United Church of Christ

Unitarian Universalist
[/quote]

Actually, almost all of those sects are Protestant except Catholicism. And knowing that you ARE on a Catholic forum, of course we’ll believe that Catholicism is the true sect.

We have our lineage AND biblical proof!! :smiley:

Roman Catholicism is no sect, therefore I answered other.

The other options you stated are sects off of Her. She is the Church Christ established and is no sect.

Peace

[quote=dennisknapp]Roman Catholicism is no sect, therefore I answered other.

The other options you stated are sects off of Her. She is the Church Christ established and is no sect.

Peace
[/quote]

The poll is certainly corrupt. Perhaps also is the pollster. As you say, Catholicism is no sect. Neither is Orthodoxy. Everything else is and in most cases self consciously and proudly so. I note that the pollstrer is a Muslim. He may be ignorant of the truth of Christianity. I shall pray for him.

Dan L

I agree. Corrupt thread. Catholicism is not a sect, so I didn’t vote. This shows a gross misunderstanding of christianity.

[quote=GregoryPalamas]The poll is certainly corrupt. Perhaps also is the pollster. As you say, Catholicism is no sect. Neither is Orthodoxy. Everything else is and in most cases self consciously and proudly so. I note that the pollstrer is a Muslim. He may be ignorant of the truth of Christianity. I shall pray for him.

Dan L
[/quote]

Muslims like to try to divide Christians by pointing out divisions…the fact is the Roman Catholic Church is the same as always through the last 2000 years GODS CHURCH…and all of the other so called Christian Churches are not only Protestant but APOSTATE. There is no question to a true Roman Catholic which is the Church of God. All Protestant Churchs are false and HERITICAL. Now if you want to talk division how about Islam? Here are a few…

[/font]Who are the Sunnis?
[font=Verdana]Sunnis are Muslims who are considered the more “orthodox” believers. Sunnis follow all of the most traditional beliefs and actions.
Who are the Shi’ites?
The term Shi’a is a shortened form of Shi’at Ali, which means “the party of Ali” - and at the time of Ali’s death in 661, that is probably all it was: a party or tendency of people who supported Ali’s claims to the caliphate. Over time, they became the largest non-Sunni sect in Islam.

Who are the Sufis?
Sufism is important to the development of Islam because it is in this tradition that the more spiritual and mystical aspects were preserved. This stands in contrast to the mainstream of Islam which, through its first centuries, was more concerned with the expansion and organization of the general community.

Who are the Kahrijites?
In Arabic, their label means “to go out” - they were, in effect, the first Mulism dissidents and rebels, being present almost from the dawn of Islam. Like later dissidents, they chose to separate themselves from the main body of believers, feeling that the majority of Muslims had lost the “true path.”

Who are the Wahhabis?
Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab could be considered the first modern Islamic fundamentalist. He made the central point of his reform movement the idea that absolutely every idea added to Islam after the third century of the Mulsim era was false and should be eliminated.

Who are the Ismailis?
An early Shi’a sect which split from the main group because of a dispute over who should be considered the next Imam.

Who are the Zaidis?
Formed by Zaid, a grandson of Husain, the Zaidis have believed that the true Imam must publicly assert his claim to the title and seek to overthrow the corrupt regime run by unacceptable rulers.

Who are the Fatimids?
The Fatimids are a successor movement to the Isma’ilis and are descendants of Fatima and Ali through the line of Isma’il. In the tenth century, those descendants asserted themselves as caliphs in North Africa, and ruled Egypt from 969 to 1171.

I might mention that many of these sect are at constant war with one another…WAR not debate as Roman Catholics and other so called Christian religions.

and a few more…but not all…
Who are the Nizari?

This sect is actually very well known around the world, but under a different name: the Assassins.

Who are the Alawis?

Also known as Nusayris, the Alawis are a branch of Isma’ilism which has gone so far along its own path that many Muslims no longer even regard it as a form of Islam. The term Alawis actually just means “followers of Ali,” which is used in some countries to refer to all Shi’a in general. Some think that they worship Ali as God, but that isn’t entirely accurate.

Who are the Druze?

The Druze comprise another sect which is not widely regarded as being “truly” Muslim. This group diverged from mainstream Islam in the eleventh century when some Isma’ilis started to believe that God became manifest in the personality of a prophet or imam.

Who are the Baha’i?

Baha’i is another movement which is descended from Islam, but which most Muslims today no longer regard as authentically Islamic.

In fact BahLu’a was dealt with in the typical Islamic (“religion of peace”) way.

Dan L

The amish… lol. no. i believe that the catholic church is the right “sect” or i wouldn’t be think about conversion yet.

I voted Catholic but then again we are not a sect or a denomination but the One true Holy Catholic Church

The idea of any “sect” or “denomination” is absolutely foreign to the teaching of Scripture. It must grieve the Lord to see His children divided up into various denominations.

Based on 33 years of Biblical study, in my opinion no denominination (including Roman Catholicism) can claim to be “the Church” because the “Church” is Christ’s body which is made up of every believer that has placed their faith in Him as Savior and Lord.

The Lord Jesus Christ said; “Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them.” Matt 18:20

Christ alone should be the gathering center of His people. To identify one’s self with a denomination and its teachings, traditions, and rituals may be something that is satisfying and comfortable but isn’t it better to follow the clear teaching of Scripture and meet together in the simplicity that existed in the 1st century local churches… Before there ever was such a thing as the RCC, or the Greek Orthodox, or the Baptists… Etc… The further removed that we get from Scriptural principles the less we believe and act as the Lord would have us.

There was a time when I would have argued strenuously against the possibility of the Church carrying on in the way that it did in the days of Paul, Peter, James, and John but I’ve been priveleged to see it in operation. It works. How much better to do things God’s way, than to get caught up with man’s ways and traditions.

Timothy2,

Come on friend. You can tell us. Don’t be shy. What denomination claims your allegience? We’ll love you anyway.

Dan L

PROBLEM: Thread has nothing to do with forum topic
PROBLEM: (obviously, in a Catholic forum) the answer is Catholic

ACTION: thread closed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.