For Discernment

Please help. I would like to ask to be included in your prayers.

I am in my forties and have never been married. I am engaged to a wonderful man. At this time I am having second thoughts about it all. I have never had anyone like him in my life. He has been my best friend. Marrying him will be a huge and dramatic change in my life. I would be leaving the state and becoming a stepmother to his 3 young children. He is widowed.

I don’t want to lose him, yet, I find myself with many mixed feelings. It’s as if suddenly, and for no apparent reason, I am no longer physically attracted to him. It’s like I’m going in and out of feelings for him. Literally by the minute. One minute, I’m missing him and wanting to be with him. The next, I’m wanting to just stay as I am.

I fear that I am stuck in my ways being that I have been on my own for so long, yet I want so much to have a wonderful husband and family of my own (even if its not my own children).

I don’t have anyone that I can turn to. My mother disapproves of him because he has children. She has disapproved of any actions I have taken to search for a spouse. She is of the belief that if God has someone for me, He will just drop him out of the sky. To give you a better idea of her way of thinking, she recently lost her income from some farm property she has. Instead of being proactive to find use for the land, she tells me she will pray that God send her an income.

If you could please say even one small, tiny prayer for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Praying for you, and for your mother.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Father please help people not to go into marriage thinking chemical attraction will last. God forgive sources media and literature that give so many a confused idea of what love and relationship is! So many believe in pseudo-love. There’s never any guarantee that chemical attraction remains, and likehood that it won’t. Father let them see that attraction is fine, but to be able to feel delight in the other’s goodness is far more lasting!

Father she says he is a ‘wonderful man’. If this is enough to help her take on the many new responsibilities, and to genuinely love the children, with whom her greatest amount of time will be spent, then inspire her to continue with her intention made firm. Give her overwhelming, unselfish and consistent love for them, even when there are difficulties with them.

Father doubts are natural in the face of radical life-change, but guide her the way that is in the best interests of the father, the children and herself. Don’t allow her to be influenced by anyone who does not have Your wishes for all at heart.

Please fill this couple with Your wisdom and love and give them the graces they need for wholesome and happy lives.

I ask in Jesus’ name

***+JMJTJ+

You will be in my prayers as you discern the Lord’s will for your life.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen***

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Amen.

Please know that I am praying for you, this man and his children. In addition I pray for safe travelsfor your move!

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are you amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for our sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Prayers promised

I will pray for you at Mass this evening.
Kathy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.