For Economy, Worst of Coronavirus Shutdowns May Be Over

:Truck loads are growing again. Air travel and hotel bookings are up slightly. Mortgage applications are rising. And more people are applying to open new businesses."

. . . .

1 Like

I wouldn’t put too much credence into these reports. Some rebound yes, but back to the pre-virus levels? That’s not happening this year. If restaurants and other service businesses are forced to keep at 50% capacity, that’s a recipe for a slow death for many of them.

On the other hand, if Democrats continue to push the lockdown narrative, they’re going to lose a lot of people that way. People are not stupid, they look around, they realize the real risk is in the long term care facilities and they realize almost everywhere else is much lower risk.

3 Likes

Time for a new crisis??

Unfortunately, yes. Another recession is immanent.

1 Like

I’m sure the stocks will be up and down. I’d be more concerned about the impending need for Joe Biden to actually get out and campaign. He seems to match Trump gaffe for gaffe.

2 Likes

Viruses don’t care about elections.

Is this an appropriate title for the thread?
It is not the title of the article linked, and is not particularly connected to it, and seems inflammatory.

3 Likes

It seems a particularly ridiculous thread title. The tone of the opening post which talks it being ‘time for another crisis’ is in poor taste indeed.

3 Likes

It’s a part of a general campaign by some conservative groups and commentators to make those who want to maintain physical distancing policies as evil monsters out to ruin America (or Britain, or Canada, or wherever they think playing out a conspiracy theory could gain them some political clout).

To imagine that there is this evil conspiracy of Democrat governors out to ruin America so they can win the November election is so perverse as to be bizarre. But it’s part of a larger conspiracy theory that basically says “The Chinese let the virus loose to hurt Donald Trump, and the Democrats are out to capitalize on it.” Add to that bizarre claims of it all being a war on Christianity because authorities have the audacity to lump churches in with movie theaters.

2 Likes

Considering that one of frequently heard mantras of the left is how “President Trump ruined the economy with his mishandling of the coronavirus crisis”, the fact that the economy is starting to improve could in fact be bad news for them. I don’t see it as inappropriate or inflammatory at all.

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s generally known that the economy is a major factor in US elections. If the economy is doing poorly, then it’s much more likely that a sitting President or party in power will be voted out. If the economy is doing well, then it’s very hard to knock the party in power off their stool.

1 Like

But you really have to assume the very worst of the opposition to assume they wish economic ruin on the United States, where they, their families and friends live and work, just to gain some political advantage? I wish people on both sides of the partisan divide wouldn’t do that.

There are liberal people claiming that the reason Republicans want to re-open the economy sooner rather than later is because they would rather workers face life-threatening conditions than pay them unemployment insurance - which I think is exactly the same thing, assuming your political opponent is some kind of monster who has only the worst motives for taking the positions they do.

2 Likes

I trust the new title meets with your approval.

1 Like

I think everyone on both sides should prepare for another spike in the fall. I find the idea that both Republicans and Democrats are factoring death and disease and how to respond them into their political calculations for November perverse. I won’t discount it, but still, bargaining with peoples’ lives as part of a political race isn’t something I relish or think is appropriate. Inevitable, perhaps, but not appropriate.

1 Like

Why would you trust that?

It is unusal to pick a headline from an article on the thread but not in the OP of from the person who posted the OP. And it remains a bit inflammatory, as remarked by some posters. If you edit the title again, why not just use that WSJ headline; that is customary, and it is not inflammatory.

Why change it at all? There is no rule the title of the thread has to be the same as the title to the article. There have been plenty of titles on this sub forum that I have found inflammatory myself. But then I don’t try to moderate others words on CAF.

2 Likes

I quickly scanned.
Didn’t notice the second headline was a different post.

Tradition.

It was a rule, but no longer. On the other hand there is a rule against inflammatory posts.
I think that reasonable people can agree on objective criteria of inflammatory. It does mean things that one does snot agree with.

That I agree with!

There was a question mark after the “time for another crisis?” Apparently I need to explain this so perhaps it will not be so “inflammatory” and upset some people’s delicate palates.

Since Trump was elected there has been crisis after crisis created by the media and some of their friends in the media. “Russia Hacked the Election”, “Trump Starting WW3”, Impeachment, Article 25, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum. They all start with “BREAKING NEWS - ORANGE MAN BAD”. Covid started with the same blaring headlines warning with the end of the world which, of course, is presented as Trump’s fault. Now that this crisis is starting to wane and will be nowhere near the 2.2 million American deaths that was predicted, I think the media will shift focus to a new crisis. It was going to be the crashing economy that would be blamed on him, but since the economy is starting to improve, I think they will find something else.

I hope that’s not too inflammatory.

Because you are not a leftist with a desire to control what other’s say and think!

4 Likes

How is it improving again?
We are either 6 months or 4 years and 6 months from Republicans hopefully returning to people who claimed to value accountability.
If you tweet crazy and offensive stuff on Twitter every other day for 3 1/2 years, you are basically manufacturing exactly what you seem to be complaining about.
After 3 1/2 years, it is impossible to argue that Trump does not fully intend his own form of press relationship. Yes! Trump intends this. In saying that I afford him the dignity of not considering him a nit wit.
No where near 2.2 million deaths is a message discounting 100k deaths and the prediction of up to 240k deaths. ( Meaning so far we are 20k short of halfway if you accept the Administration’s position. )( It’s like a score card adding up Trump strokes in a Trump’s Strokes are all that matters reality) and not lives and families.
This talk as if this pandemic is in the past is like an army climbing out of fox holes spontaniously, to throw an ," it’s behind us party." Just as irresponsible from a national interest standpoint. It’s, THE GOING GETS TOUGH TIME, NOT THE CHARDONNAY BEACH BLANKET BINGO TIME.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.