For Every 10 U.S. Adults, Six Vote and Four Don’t. What Separates Them?

NY Times:

For Every 10 U.S. Adults, Six Vote and Four Don’t. What Separates Them?

While young people, poor people and Hispanics are often singled out for low voting rates, there are millions of nonvoters in every demographic group. In fact, the majority of people who didn’t vote in the 2012 presidential election were white, middle-income and middle-aged.

But what distinguishes voters from nonvoters can be only partly explained by demographics. Experts say individuals tend to be motivated by a combination of their priorities, their group culture, how competitive their state is, and how easy or hard it is to vote.

At the individual level, education and income  are still two of the strongest predictors of whether someone will turn  out at the polls.

“Most of the differences between people who vote  and those who don’t vote can be accounted for by motivational reasons —  levels of political interest and engagement,” said Benjamin Highton, a  professor of political science at the University of California, Davis.  “And levels of political interest and engagement are strongly correlated  with education and income.”

There are a lot more details in the article, read the whole thing.

You know…I would accept with more validity your experience from within your own precinct.

One common scenario that I experience is that in recent national elections (2008 & 2012) - I have found a larger number of people voting. I remember the 2008 national election having to wait in line. That was an experience that I had never encountered since I had been eligible to vote. But that is a good thing to see people taking part in their civic duty.

But that is in direct contrast to my experience during local elections. In one recent local election, I found myself walking directly up to the polling station, casting my vote and never encountering any other person (minus those manning the polling place).

This election cycle is clearly unique. It is more than apparent that Americans are tired of partisan politics that have only resulted in bickering. The question is; will we have a larger number of people voting?

We will see…

I be surprised if more Americans vote in this election than previous elections. What Americans have learned is that Politics is a rigged system controlled by Big Money Special Interest. Example, Americans should not be paying so much more on medical drugs then other countries for the same drugs. It won’t matter who gets elected, the drug lobby is too strong in controlling these costs.

I don’t think anyone would say the present race’s low turnout will be because things are going well…

Guess some people haven’t been paying attention, the Supremes say your vote means nothing if they want to make new law. Give me a reason to think the vote matters. :mad:

One person I know does not vote because he thinks voter registration lists are used in determining who will be called for jury duty, which he wants to avoid. Another becomes so emotionally wrapped up in the election that if the candidate she votes for is defeated, she takes it as a personal defeat and gets depressed. Therefore, she does not vote either, but she has no problem telling other people how they should vote :shrug:

6/10 vote and 4/10 do not vote??? I would be more inclined to believe the opposite that 4/10 vote and 6/10 do not vote. If you add up the popular vote numbers for president in 2008 and 2012 it equals just about 40% of the population. This is not counting 3rd party/write in but I don’t think those add up to another 20% of the population.

You need to account for those under 18 who cannot vote. Also for legal residents who are part of the US population but do not have the permission to vote.

you are absolutely correct. my mistake.

Indeed. What is the point. In my state we opposed same sex marriage, and abortion, but the courts invalidate those votes. To make things worse the courts have invalidated any attempt to insure the integrity of elections. If I vote my vote could be undone by illegal voters.

I somewhat understand this. Although I think this is the greatest opportunity to have your vote count. On a criminal case a single vote of not guilty has absolute power. And in other cases the number of jurors is so small your vote has the most power it will ever have. If you disagree with a law you have the power to nullify it with your vote. But every time I’ve had jury duty my time was wasted and I wasn’t even called out from the general pool. And having to go into a government building is always an unpleasant and now dehumanizing process.

Why participate in a system rigged by dead voters and illegal aliens? A place where words mean nothing or anything you want them to mean, a penalty for not buying something is a tax. Where discrimination is prohibited unless you’re discriminating for approved classes of race, or gender or gender benders.

Did you miss anybody ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.