For Lutherans: Yet Another Question

Shalom!

Could anyone here, who is knowledgeable on this subject, explain to me some of the finer points of the Lutheran’s understanding of Communion? I at more than a couple times thought about conversion, but this subject is infinitely important to me.

I ask because my mother’s friend, Andria (I love her!) is a devout, spunky Lutheran. I asked her once, “Do you believe in transubstantiation?” and she replied by saying that it was complicated and that the church was divided into two councils, each’s stance on the subject a little different. (I can’t remember which she said she was a part of–perhaps the Missouri Council.)

The last time I saw her, we got onto the Rosary a lot (I don’t know of any real problem she has with it, by the way), and consubstantiation. However, she said to ask again when there was more time and when her brain was less conjumbled. As of now, I’ve heard that Lutherans believe in “consubstantiation,” or the literal presence of Christ “in, with, and under” the bread. However, from the way she’s spoken, it’s much deeper than just that.

Any help?

Truthinator:

Lutheran theology (at least in its most widely held version) does not seek to explain the “how” of Christ’s presence in the Eucharist. We believe that what Christ said – 'this is my body" and “this cup is the new covenant in my blood” – is true and that in communion we receive his body and blood. We don’t profess to understand how he comes to us under the forms of bread and wine.

We believe in what you could call “consubstantiation,” which means that Christ’s body and blood are truly present “in, with, and under” the bread and wine. To put it in a nutshell, the Catholic Church teaches that the bread and wine are transformed into the body and blood of Christ and that there is no more bread or wine present. Lutherans believe that the body and blood are truly present with the bread and wine.

Thankfully, this is one issue where our differences are very minor. I’ve always believed that as long as we acknowledge the real presence of the body and blood of our Lord, unlike most other protestants, than who cares whether it’s consubstatiation or transubstantiation.

That is actually what I feared.

You see, knowing the context of the Passover ceremony, I cannot accept either view.

Thank you, though.

This might help It comes from LCMS.ORG
LCMS= Lutheran Church Missouri Synod

Q. How does the Lord’s Supper in the Lutheran church differ from that in the Roman Catholic and Baptist denominations?

**A. **At the risk of oversimplication, let me say briefly the following. Roman Catholics share with Lutherans a belief in the real presence of Christ’s true body and blood in the elements of the Sacrament. However, disagreements have existed historically on whether or how the mystery of Christ’s presence can be explained. Catholics explain the Real Presence through their doctrine of transubstantiation (see entry in the online Christian Cyclopedia).

Lutherans reject such an attempt to explain the Real Presence and insist that we must adhere to the simple words of Christ and be content to believe them as a divine mystery beyond human comprehension or explanation. In addition, longstanding differences exist regarding the Catholic position on the Eucharist as a sacrifice. Lutherans have rejected any understanding of the Lord’s Supper as a sacrificial act on our part, holding that it is purely God’s gift through which He acts to impart His forgiveness and strength to communicants. With respect to Baptists, usually Baptists understanding the Lord’s Supper as a symbolic act, including the elements of bread and wine as symbolizing Christ’s presence–in contrast to the Lutheran position that Christ’s true body and blood are present in, with, and under the external elements of bread and wine.

Source: lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=6629

Here is another web-link to lcms.org regarding communion: lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2591

Here is web-link to elca.org regarding communion:
ELCA= Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

elca.org/questions/Results.asp?recid=48

This is on youtube but it was done by ELCA
youtube.com/watch?v=k8YZIEC-Jrg

Then finially here is a link to the CCC regarding communion.
usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt1ind.htm

Hope this helps. God Bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.